Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Yes they have, but they don't give their children the ability to make their own choices now do they?
The children do have the ability to make their own choices and have choosen to follow this particular lifestyle. I see far more issues at far younger from Kate Gosselin's group of kids than I have seen w/ this family.

I do not agree 100% w/ the lifestyle.

But it works for them & they are happy.

And honestly, there are times when I think the lifestyle they live, especially the teenagers, is far far far easier than the lifestyle acclimated teenagers live today.

And no, children do not need 100% free choice. It's called rules, boudaries and discipline. They are children, not adults w/ the ability to handle poor choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 10:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I don't feel like they really are being given choices - I mean their parents talk about how God says using birth control is killing babies, and how living a life any less devout than theirs will mean they aren't serving God as fully as they should. It's not being presented as much of a choice to them really.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
What do you mean they can't go to school? They all go to school, they are homeschooled. If I am not mistaken the oldest girl is just barely college age.

So they are to be mocked because they went to a creationism museum, you do know there are alot of people that believe in creationism instead of believing that we come from monkeys.

When did being a wife and mother become taboo in our society? Why so much mockery of this choice? For some people this is what they chose for their life, I am a wife and mother, that is my job, my career and I do a very good job at it. I don't have to leave my home to have a career and in living my life this way I am never put in a position to chose family over career.
I'm sorry to interject here, but this is a pet peeve of mine and a misconception held by a lot of people:

Evolution does not say that people come from monkeys (or apes of any kind). It is believed that humans and some apes and chimps shared a common ancestor, but then split into two separate groups. One lineage evolved into chimps and gorillas, the other into early humans.

While we are closely related to modern apes, we did not evolve from them.

Ok, pardon the interruption, carry on.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Nothing sucks worse than a family pitching in and helping out so that the entire family is strong. What families need is more selfishness. How is the creationism museum different than a elementary school teacher taking her class to a gay wedding or a middle school teacher taking the class to a mosque during service and having the children participate in worship? Its all people pushing their beliefs off on children. The difference is that these people happen to be feeding, clothing, and loving these children. People are really quick to defend a person's right to believe in nothing. Believing in something gets you bashed. SAD.
Elementary school teachers should not be taking kids to *any* wedding, but this was in San Francisco. The wedding, btw, was at city hall and not in a church.

The trip to the mosque was not a good idea at least in terms of allowing the boys to participate in the worship services. The school made a big mistake on that one. I don't think this is an appropriate curriculum for middle schoolers, though learning about different religions is a good idea.

Trip chaperone: Wellesley students at mosque weren't asked to pray - Wellesley, Massachusetts - The Wellesley Townsman

Quote:
Studying different religions is part of the school's sixth-grade social studies curriculum where classes also visit a synagogue and meet with Hindus. Students who visited the mosque in the past said they appreciated the visit.

"It was interesting. It was like, different to see our culture versus their culture," said one of the students.

Nevertheless, Wellesley Schools Superintendent Bella Wong said she doesn't apologize for her curriculum but she does believe in the separation of church and state. In a letter to parents she said, "It wasn't the intent for any of the students to participate in religious practices. The fact that any students were allowed to do so in this case was in error."
I think that public schools make mistakes and should be chastised for them.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Thank you for replying in a very civilized manner, that being said, their life is not for me, but if I am trying to teach my children tolerance, then it would be two faced of me to not reply to some of the nastiness I see not only on this board but in other places also. If I try to teach my kids to accept others, yet they see me not accepting someone based on my perceptions then my teaching has failed and I run the risk of having raised intolerant kids, that have total disregard for others feelings. It just bothers me to see the attitudes people express towards this family, just because they aren't the norm. You don't have to like them or agree with their parenting and if you don't just keep it simple, no need to be hateful. BTW this is not directed at you, just merely in general.

Obviously their life works for them and I am pretty sure they really don't care what others think of them, they live their life according to their beliefs, they embrace them whole-heartedly and I am sure the person the seek to please the most is God.

Do I agree with them having a 20th child, no I don't, for me if this had happened I would probably take it as a sign from God that my baby bearing days were over. But I am not going to go on a public forum and poke fun at them, that is just not me, maybe that is why my kids are so accepting of others regardless of race, religion, sexual preference or social status, I try very hard to practice what I teach.
I'm always civilized...

Quote:
Homeschooling is a very big movement and with the degradation of our schools over the years it has become an acceptable option for some families. If it is done correctly home-schooled children are just as well educated as their peers who have been traditonally schooled. I have a friend who home schooled their 5 kids, all graduated from high school very early, all have college degrees with very good jobs, and in todays world I would call that a success. Notice I mention done correctly, there are alot of families out there who do not home school correctly and in that case their children are usually behind their schooled peers. My SIL homeschools her two children and it is horrible to see, they are so far behind but she will not hear of putting them back in public school.
Homeschooling has and always will be a huge waste IMO.
I firmly believe you cannot get a good and thorough education from someone who probably only has a high school diploma, if even that.

No way could my mom have taught me k-12 for school. Maybe k-5th but beyond that, she couldn't have done it.
Teaching is for teachers, not mothers with spare time.
I'm a trained lifeguard, I know CPR, AED, first aid, underwater rescue, maybe they should just go ahead and stick me on an ambulance..

Quote:
Nothing sucks worse than a family pitching in and helping out so that the entire family is strong. What families need is more selfishness. How is the creationism museum different than a elementary school teacher taking her class to a gay wedding or a middle school teacher taking the class to a mosque during service and having the children participate in worship? Its all people pushing their beliefs off on children. The difference is that these people happen to be feeding, clothing, and loving these children. People are really quick to defend a person's right to believe in nothing. Believing in something gets you bashed. SAD.
There is a difference in a family working together and the oldest kids taking care of all the younger kids.
They don't just pitch in and help out, they do the mothers work because she can't possibly attend to all those kids..

Quote:
What do you mean they can't go to school? They all go to school, they are homeschooled. If I am not mistaken the oldest girl is just barely college age.

So they are to be mocked because they went to a creationism museum, you do know there are alot of people that believe in creationism instead of believing that we come from monkeys.

When did being a wife and mother become taboo in our society? Why so much mockery of this choice? For some people this is what they chose for their life, I am a wife and mother, that is my job, my career and I do a very good job at it. I don't have to leave my home to have a career and in living my life this way I am never put in a position to chose family over career.
Homeschooling is not school.
Its your parents teaching you to the best of their abilities and hoping it all turns out all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The children do have the ability to make their own choices and have choosen to follow this particular lifestyle. I see far more issues at far younger from Kate Gosselin's group of kids than I have seen w/ this family.

And honestly, there are times when I think the lifestyle they live, especially the teenagers, is far far far easier than the lifestyle acclimated teenagers live today.

And no, children do not need 100% free choice. It's called rules, boudaries and discipline. They are children, not adults w/ the ability to handle poor choices.
I think Kates children are going to be more normal.
And no way is that lifestyle easier for a teenager. I would be miserable.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm sorry to interject here, but this is a pet peeve of mine and a misconception held by a lot of people:

Evolution does not say that people come from monkeys (or apes of any kind). It is believed that humans and some apes and chimps shared a common ancestor, but then split into two separate groups. One lineage evolved into chimps and gorillas, the other into early humans.

While we are closely related to modern apes, we did not evolve from them.

Ok, pardon the interruption, carry on.
We were taught in biology that humans evolved from apes. We were never told that there were two separate lineages. Most people I talk to were taught the same as I was taught, in American public schools.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 AM

422 posts, read 649,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm always civilized...

Homeschooling has and always will be a huge waste IMO.
I firmly believe you cannot get a good and thorough education from someone who probably only has a high school diploma, if even that.

No way could my mom have taught me k-12 for school. Maybe k-5th but beyond that, she couldn't have done it.
Teaching is for teachers, not mothers with spare time.
I'm a trained lifeguard, I know CPR, AED, first aid, underwater rescue, maybe they should just go ahead and stick me on an ambulance..

There is a difference in a family working together and the oldest kids taking care of all the younger kids.
They don't just pitch in and help out, they do the mothers work because she can't possibly attend to all those kids..

Homeschooling is not school.
Its your parents teaching you to the best of their abilities and hoping it all turns out all right.

And no way is that lifestyle easier for a teenager. I would be miserable.
Homeschooling is not school ? That's laughable. Until the government decided that they needed everyone working outside of the home EVERYONE was taught at home. Parents know their children better than anyone else and can/will devote more attention to their children's success than a paid stranger ever will. Homeschoolers use structured curriculum not a dart board with subjects taped to it. In my state they also go for standardized testing yearly so I think you're guessing at that one.No offense but if your mom was only as smart as a fifth grader that doesn't mean everyone elses mom is the same.

As far as Kates children. If you mean selfish, materialistsic, immoral, and a slave to technology then yes they will be normal. It's "normal" for girls to be sexually active at 15. It's normal for boys to drink and try drugs by the age of 15. Still a bad idea. You would be miserable because you were raised a certain way. They aren't miserable because this is what they know. If they were plopped down into your world they would be miserable too. My guess is that you are young, single, and childless. Otherwise you would know that mothers don't have spare time.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Homeschooling is not school ? That's laughable. Until the government decided that they needed everyone working outside of the home EVERYONE was taught at home. Parents know their children better than anyone else and can/will devote more attention to their children's success than a paid stranger ever will. Homeschoolers use structured curriculum not a dart board with subjects taped to it. In my state they also go for standardized testing yearly so I think you're guessing at that one.No offense but if your mom was only as smart as a fifth grader that doesn't mean everyone elses mom is the same.

As far as Kates children. If you mean selfish, materialistsic, immoral, and a slave to technology then yes they will be normal. It's "normal" for girls to be sexually active at 15. It's normal for boys to drink and try drugs by the age of 15. Still a bad idea. You would be miserable because you were raised a certain way. They aren't miserable because this is what they know. If they were plopped down into your world they would be miserable too. My guess is that you are young, single, and childless. Otherwise you would know that mothers don't have spare time.

Seems like noone seems to take into account this is what this family knows, this has always been their life. So therefore for this family it is normal.

Isn't this the truth, I don't know what spare time is.

In todays world it does seem to be more acceptable for our kids to be having sex at an incredibly young age, drinking, and doing drugs, yet very few have an issue with that. It seems like most don't even blink an eye at this and it is really sad, we are allowing our kids to do things they are not mature enough to handle.

The Gosselin kids are a disaster waiting to happen if those parents don't get it in better control, I would take the Duggar children over the Gosselin children anyday.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And those that makes the Duggars lifestyle wrong?

Oh, you are so, so young & unaware. There will come a day, or maybe not.

You can't tell a person their lifestyle is wrong if you have not lived it. You have NO idea what parenting entails until you are one.

While the Duggars definitely do some things behind closed doors, they are sensible & compassionate enough not to outwardly judge. Something the majority of us cannot do & the posts in this thread proves the point.

But ignorance knows no boundaries & why those who say they are so open minded is why the Duggars are so wrong...beyond funny to read.

Nope, teenagers, in particular girls, do not need to be half-clothed & acting stupid to be deemed as valuable as society teaches them. The Duggar girls have inner confidence & that is why they see no immediate need to run & be part of what social media says is correct. And their parents are who have instilled the confidence. Kudos to that for that is one of the hardest things to do. As a nonparent, you have no idea what it takes to instill confidence in a child.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

If they are left ignorant, how can they? They have barely any friends outside of their family,go on chaperoned dates, have very limited access to outside media,and are given only one view of things which is only something that corresponds to a biblical passage. And do you know the kids are trully happy? No children don't need 100 percent free choice, but their parents had a normal childhood before deciding on their ultra religious views, they should give their children the same choice no? And it's even worse now because the bubble these children had has been smashed.....they know and see the way other people live. But if they are unprepared for this world as the girls seem to be....how can they ever leave?

Last edited by paganmama80; 10-03-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting