Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post

GreenScoutII, the Duggars have always been a financially stable family. They own business, investment properties, and are completely self-sufficient--even before they started with TLC.
Ah, that makes sense! Still though, DANG!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
All 20 children aren't minors. Some are adults and married. When people have big families there are generally groups of children who are close based on age. The older children are well out of the nest when the younger children are born. Sure, it's more expensive than having a few children, but it's not like they are raising 20 children at once. Just checked their ages. By November this year, the five oldest children will be adults. In four years, four more will be adults. The good news is that the mother is 43 years old. She can only have babies for a few more years. An end is in sight.
ya, but they all still live at home except 1. Only the oldest is married and out of the house. So that's still 18 mouths to feed at the moment.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Heck...they should've named that last one...Justkeepemcomin!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
I can't imagine her husband ever supporting the notion to have more children when she almost died the last time. She is his wife, the mother of all of those children....
God gives life...I get that. But we don't drive down the road with a blindfold on, we don't test Him by jumping off of cliffs hoping to float gently to the ground and we'd been equally as foolish to continue to get pregnant when our life and the life of the baby is at risk. That's not trusting God...that is testing God. It reminds me of the people who won't seek medical treatment for religious reasons....

If they don't want to use birth control then they could refrain from activities that could result in pregnancy. If God still wanted them to have more children He could make it happen (He's done it before, lol) and THAT would be a miracle.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I don't watch their show, but after having so many of their own children and still having more love and support to give, why not adopt a child (from either this country, or country far worse off)? I would find that far more admirable/watchable than a show about a family who has babies because they don't believe in contraception.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I'm not a big Duggar fan. My wife got into watching it during her last pregnancy. It was almost like she was psyching herself up by saying, this woman can handle 18, 19, 20 kids, I can handle 3, lol.

Their beliefs are just a little out there for me. They are part of an evangelical Christian sect known as the "Quiverfull Movement". The basic tenant is that God will determine how many children you are to have. There is no form of birth control and marrital relations are not to be suspended. The rest of it is pretty much conservative evangelical Christian.

As for support, they do own many businesses and investment properties. Also, at one point Jim Bob was a state senator. They are a very well connected and well respected family in their area. They own several commercial ventures from the car dealership, to warehouses. I'm sure the money from TLC is also nice to have. They are also really big on this one financial guru who preaches that you buy used and save the difference. They are extremely frugal and resourceful people. For instance, Jim Bob uses his connections to get into auctions. They bought that bus that they have for something like $2,000 at a police auction.

I can't fault them as they are living their lives the way they choose and while their beliefs are very different from my own, they aren't sitting around with their hands out asking people for financial help or money. They do their TV show and make some appearances as people find them interesting and they use it as a way for the kids to travel and see places they might not otherwise see. To me this places them much higher on the list then "Octomom" who feeds off public assistance and "Jon and Kate" who would do anything for money.

So, I think their crazy, I don't really watch the show, but who am I to judge them.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
“When we look at Josie — we were just talking about it this morning — and I thought, even knowing that we went through the challenge that we did, we would do it again,” the supermom told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Tuesday from the family home in Springdale, Ark.

Michelle rapidly recovered, but Josie endured a series of medical emergencies, including a perforated bowel. She was finally sent home from Arkansas Children’s Hospital in April, but was rushed back with digestive problems that turned out to be lactose intolerance.
What "WE" went through? There was no "WE" about it, that baby was who "went through" it all.

What a selfish woman. She must believe God thinks of her as really special, 'blessing' her with all those children. God has nothing to do with it. She's no more special than the girl on the streets who gets pregnant every time she spreads her legs.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
How are they irresponsible? I personally would never have that many kids, but they pay their own way 100%.

Someone with one kid who needs welfare/food stamps is irresponsible. If they pay their own way, why should we care? They don't ask for any charity from anyone, so what part of their lives is irresponsible?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
How are they irresponsible? I personally would never have that many kids, but they pay their own way 100%.

Someone with one kid who needs welfare/food stamps is irresponsible. If they pay their own way, why should we care? They don't ask for any charity from anyone, so what part of their lives is irresponsible?
Amen.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM

141 posts, read 292,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Because she's continually tempting fate. She's nearly 45 years old, just got done having an extremely premature, sick child who will require a lot of specialized care (she's lactose intolerant) and likely have neurological/developmental problems (hope notbut we'll see), when you're over 35 your chances of having a child with Down's and other problems increase, yet she still thinks she should have a 20th child.

The parents are not thinking that next time, they might lose their child- they aren't thinking about the welfare and safety of their potential children. They aren't thinking "One of my kids could be born severely mentally retarded and require lifelong, intensive care that I can't give them if I keep focusing on getting pregnant" What if they end up having another child and this does happen? Will it make them realize then that maybe it wasn't the best idea to 'keep going'?

How is that not irresponsible at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting