U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,586,522 times

Advertisements

Here's something I don't get about them - they're not allowed to dance but they can drink all the fountain soda they want? Their minds must not be poisoned but they can fill their bodies with junk?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,606,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Choices, schmoices. Imagine if everyone bred rampantly like that. The planet is already choking under the weight of overpopulation. The world doesn't need to have 20 more people added from just two sets of genes, as though this couple's progeny somehow deserve to take up more space and consume more resources than anyone else's.

Heck yes, I'm judging them. They have no thought for the world around them and their family's carbon footprint. Zero social and environmental responsibility there. Ye gods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Here's something I don't get about them - they're not allowed to dance but they can drink all the fountain soda they want? Their minds must not be poisoned but they can fill their bodies with junk?!
No they do not dance...this is a fairly baptist belief not exclusive to the Duggar's. As for the kids drinking coke...they rarely do so.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:59 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,586,522 times
They have a full on restaurant style soda fountain set up in their house, whenever the cameras get near it it certainly looks like it gets a lot of use, given how many cups are strewn around it.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 AM

18,856 posts, read 27,734,508 times
My daughter watched this show a few times, and thinks the Dad is cheap. She could not believe when they were in New York that the family had to split two pizza's and drink water. And then, they could fill up on animal crackers if the one small slice did not fill them up. So, I don't know. But she now realizes that she lives a privledged life, she gets to eat as much pizza as she wants, and soda with it. Wow. (note, she is size 5).

Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 13,367,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My daughter watched this show a few times, and thinks the Dad is cheap. She could not believe when they were in New York that the family had to split two pizza's and drink water. And then, they could fill up on animal crackers if the one small slice did not fill them up. So, I don't know. But she now realizes that she lives a privledged life, she gets to eat as much pizza as she wants, and soda with it. Wow. (note, she is size 5).
I've struggled to be as objective as possible about the Duggars. On one hand they are good people and have the right to live by their own values and on the other hand I just don't agree with a number of things about this lifestyle.

As petty as it may sound when I see Michelle nursing a baby in her 40's and wearing her hair like a school girl it is somewhat offputting. The Duggar women say that Jim Bob prefers this style which isn't really practical or especially flattering to any of the women. There are many other things.

I understand that it seems to be TLC's mission to provide viewing options that will attract large numbers of viewers. My interest in non-traditional lifestyles has dwindled and find other interests.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
They have a full on restaurant style soda fountain set up in their house, whenever the cameras get near it it certainly looks like it gets a lot of use, given how many cups are strewn around it.
Yes they have the spouts but they are most often empty. They have an ice machine near the spouts too, along with water.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:08 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,780,416 times
Quote:
For the most part, I think they are an incredible family instilling family values into the children. They are very giving of themselves to helping others. I thought it was cute to watch the episode where the boys had to do the girl's chores (dishes/laundry) while the girls learned how to do an oil change on the car. I don't like how the older girls are expected to make the meals and be babysitters for the younger ones.

While I can understand the children not having the designer labels in clothing, it just seems sad to me to see them rummaging through used shoes at a thrift shop. I can't imagine never having new shoes to break in w/ your own feet.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 PM

18,856 posts, read 27,734,508 times
Yes, it is interesting to watch this show with your children. My daughter is just AMAZED, she thinks the whole lifestyle is bizarre. She is 17 now, and talks to me about these kids, and she feels sorry for them. And she appreciates the lifestyle she gets to have. Suddenly, the "rules" in our home, about keeping your room clean, and washing your own clothes don't seem so Draconian. She has her own room, and does not have to babysit any younger brothers or sisters. She can buy her clothes where ever she wants.

One thing I have noticed about the Duggars, they don't have any pets...

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is interesting to watch this show with your children. My daughter is just AMAZED, she thinks the whole lifestyle is bizarre. She is 17 now, and talks to me about these kids, and she feels sorry for them. And she appreciates the lifestyle she gets to have. Suddenly, the "rules" in our home, about keeping your room clean, and washing your own clothes don't seem so Draconian. She has her own room, and does not have to babysit any younger brothers or sisters. She can buy her clothes where ever she wants.

One thing I have noticed about the Duggars, they don't have any pets...

They do. There is a cat and they use to have dogs.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,388,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Choices, schmoices. Imagine if everyone bred rampantly like that. The planet is already choking under the weight of overpopulation. The world doesn't need to have 20 more people added from just two sets of genes, as though this couple's progeny somehow deserve to take up more space and consume more resources than anyone else's.

Heck yes, I'm judging them. They have no thought for the world around them and their family's carbon footprint. Zero social and environmental responsibility there. Ye gods!
So your position is that humans are infesting the earth? Carbon footprint, schmootprint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting