U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,568 posts, read 5,755,189 times
Reputation: 1899

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
The point of a clown car is that all of the clowns are in there at once.
Thanks for explaining that. I've been wondering what a clown car had to do with the duggars ever since the first thread I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 PM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,946,531 times
Reputation: 1473
I hope for the sake of her health, she doesn't have any more children.

The reason why Josie has so many problems is that she was delivered nearly three months early b/c Michelle had severe preclamsia, a deadly condition. My understanding is that once you have it you are more likely to develop it in future pregnancies.

Also, it is more common in older moms and she would be 43 or older when child #3 was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 07:39 PM
 
Location: in the sticks, SE Indiana
945 posts, read 1,821,196 times
Reputation: 1307
I thought she just turned 43?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 PM
 
15,061 posts, read 16,344,330 times
Reputation: 14702
I feel sorry for the children. They have very little freedom as evidenced by the extreme discipline they use with the youngest children and the fact that basically the older kids are the ones raising the younger ones, not the parents at all.

They practice "blanket training" which consists of placing a baby or small child on a blanket with toys, then tapping the edges of the blanket with a wooden spoon to let the child know where the boundary is and then "correcting" the baby or child if and when they get off the blanket. The method includes placing enticing objects or foods outside the blanket's perimeter and then "correcting" the baby when he or she goes for it. This goes on until the baby dashes to the far end of the blanket away from the desired object for fear of "correction". The goal is to be able to have a small baby or child remain in one place for certain periods of time without a parent holding them there, so the parent can attend to other things. To people who follow this method, it is not considered punishment, but, rather, "training".

How is this good for children who should be free to explore their world? This is one way to stunt the creativity and intelligence of the children.

Another discipline technique these people employ is having their children play a game in which they follow a random series of their parents' commands, regardless of meaning, logic or reason, without question or hesitancy. This is supposed to be fun and is not supposed to be done in anger. I think it is a great way to raise future victims of pedophiles or wife beaters, or future mob members who dare not question right or wrong but blindly follow the leader. They are "training" children not to be able to think for themselves or to question authority and this can be very dangerous on both a personal level and also a larger, social level.

The skirts and "modest dress", the long hair, etc., are all meant to stamp out individuality and clearly define the roles of men and women. Long hair and long dresses can sometimes confine women - make it harder to participate in certain things and that is the point.

I think this family is creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,261 posts, read 4,876,945 times
Reputation: 3831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
Well of course I don't think they have bad intentions. They're following their religious views. But I think that they also need to take into consideration the possible problems that could arise from blatantly defying nature.



Except the risks go up exponentially for a child with severe complications after the mother is 35 or so.

No doubt they take care of their kids well, and raise them to be good people, but they need to really think hard about what happened with their 19th, next time, they may not be so lucky.
So I guess women should all have hysterectomies at 35 then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM
 
Location: here
24,165 posts, read 27,971,382 times
Reputation: 30043
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I feel sorry for the children. They have very little freedom as evidenced by the extreme discipline they use with the youngest children and the fact that basically the older kids are the ones raising the younger ones, not the parents at all.

They practice "blanket training" which consists of placing a baby or small child on a blanket with toys, then tapping the edges of the blanket with a wooden spoon to let the child know where the boundary is and then "correcting" the baby or child if and when they get off the blanket. The method includes placing enticing objects or foods outside the blanket's perimeter and then "correcting" the baby when he or she goes for it. This goes on until the baby dashes to the far end of the blanket away from the desired object for fear of "correction". The goal is to be able to have a small baby or child remain in one place for certain periods of time without a parent holding them there, so the parent can attend to other things. To people who follow this method, it is not considered punishment, but, rather, "training".

How is this good for children who should be free to explore their world? This is one way to stunt the creativity and intelligence of the children.

Another discipline technique these people employ is having their children play a game in which they follow a random series of their parents' commands, regardless of meaning, logic or reason, without question or hesitancy. This is supposed to be fun and is not supposed to be done in anger. I think it is a great way to raise future victims of pedophiles or wife beaters, or future mob members who dare not question right or wrong but blindly follow the leader. They are "training" children not to be able to think for themselves or to question authority and this can be very dangerous on both a personal level and also a larger, social level.

The skirts and "modest dress", the long hair, etc., are all meant to stamp out individuality and clearly define the roles of men and women. Long hair and long dresses can sometimes confine women - make it harder to participate in certain things and that is the point.

I think this family is creepy.
I haven't seen all the episodes, but I've never seen them "blanket training" anyone. Was that shown on their show?

Good point about the dresses and hair. One of the older girls was asked once why they all have long hair. She said because her dad likes long hair. How many teenagers do you know who have a hair style because their dad likes it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 AM
 
556 posts, read 660,981 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I feel sorry for the children. They have very little freedom as evidenced by the extreme discipline they use with the youngest children and the fact that basically the older kids are the ones raising the younger ones, not the parents at all.

They practice "blanket training" which consists of placing a baby or small child on a blanket with toys, then tapping the edges of the blanket with a wooden spoon to let the child know where the boundary is and then "correcting" the baby or child if and when they get off the blanket. The method includes placing enticing objects or foods outside the blanket's perimeter and then "correcting" the baby when he or she goes for it. This goes on until the baby dashes to the far end of the blanket away from the desired object for fear of "correction". The goal is to be able to have a small baby or child remain in one place for certain periods of time without a parent holding them there, so the parent can attend to other things. To people who follow this method, it is not considered punishment, but, rather, "training".

How is this good for children who should be free to explore their world? This is one way to stunt the creativity and intelligence of the children.

Another discipline technique these people employ is having their children play a game in which they follow a random series of their parents' commands, regardless of meaning, logic or reason, without question or hesitancy. This is supposed to be fun and is not supposed to be done in anger. I think it is a great way to raise future victims of pedophiles or wife beaters, or future mob members who dare not question right or wrong but blindly follow the leader. They are "training" children not to be able to think for themselves or to question authority and this can be very dangerous on both a personal level and also a larger, social level.

The skirts and "modest dress", the long hair, etc., are all meant to stamp out individuality and clearly define the roles of men and women. Long hair and long dresses can sometimes confine women - make it harder to participate in certain things and that is the point.

I think this family is creepy.


Actually, "blanket training" is recommended by pediatricians to regular folk too It teaches babies boundaries and also helps their attention span. The "command game" is also a good teaching tool for young children. In the Duggars case, they probably don't have to worry much about the mob, or pedophiles, or even wife beaters because their children seem to be always supervised and with trusted immediate family.

The "modest dress" IMO is not meant to confine the women or to stamp out individuality. IMO it is just that, modest dress, having respect for your self and your body, not making your self an object, a mere display of T&A for people to ogle at. I don't think those girls dress weirdly modest. They were clothes that most girls their age would wear. They were their hair how most girls their age would.

It's a sad world we live in when people are judged so harshly for being decent It wasn't that long ago that decent was the norm and having all your bittles hanging out was looked down on. It wasn't that long ago that having decent well behaved, moral children was just the expectation, not a side show to be picked apart. What a difference a few decades make
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 AM
 
556 posts, read 660,981 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I haven't seen all the episodes, but I've never seen them "blanket training" anyone. Was that shown on their show?

Good point about the dresses and hair. One of the older girls was asked once why they all have long hair. She said because her dad likes long hair. How many teenagers do you know who have a hair style because their dad likes it?

Almost all of my Hispanic friends growing up had to keep their hair long because their dad said so. Different cultures, different things. This is America. Ya know, the country where we all have freedoms and are supposed to be accepting of others? Not the country where everyone should do the same, dress the same, pray the same, and parent the same. SHEESH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: BK All Day
4,480 posts, read 8,163,633 times
Reputation: 4275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

Good point about the dresses and hair. One of the older girls was asked once why they all have long hair. She said because her dad likes long hair. How many teenagers do you know who have a hair style because their dad likes it?
Haha if it was up to my dad we would tuck in all of our shirts, wear a knee length skirt, hair in a pony tail and look like we where ten.

My poor dad had two daughters and wishes we where still 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: here
24,165 posts, read 27,971,382 times
Reputation: 30043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Almost all of my Hispanic friends growing up had to keep their hair long because their dad said so. Different cultures, different things. This is America. Ya know, the country where we all have freedoms and are supposed to be accepting of others? Not the country where everyone should do the same, dress the same, pray the same, and parent the same. SHEESH!
I'm allowed an opinion. there have been many threads on this family and they all go the same way. If you don't like what they are doing you are "judgmental" or whatever. I never said I don't "accept" them. I never said everyone should raise their kids the same. All I said is that it is not the norm. That is a fact. If this family were the norm, they wouldn't have their own show. They seem like nice people. I just think their kids are WAY too sheltered. That's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top