Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm allowed an opinion.
Where did you get that idea? NO OPINIONS ALLOWED!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Actually, "blanket training" is recommended by pediatricians to regular folk too It teaches babies boundaries and also helps their attention span. The "command game" is also a good teaching tool for young children. In the Duggars case, they probably don't have to worry much about the mob, or pedophiles, or even wife beaters because their children seem to be always supervised and with trusted immediate family.

The "modest dress" IMO is not meant to confine the women or to stamp out individuality. IMO it is just that, modest dress, having respect for your self and your body, not making your self an object, a mere display of T&A for people to ogle at. I don't think those girls dress weirdly modest. They were clothes that most girls their age would wear. They were their hair how most girls their age would.

It's a sad world we live in when people are judged so harshly for being decent It wasn't that long ago that decent was the norm and having all your bittles hanging out was looked down on. It wasn't that long ago that having decent well behaved, moral children was just the expectation, not a side show to be picked apart. What a difference a few decades make
I have never heard of any pediatrician recommending *blanket training.* The Ezzos do, but they are not pediatricians and not psychologists either. Children NEED to explore their world, not to stay in one place. It's convenient for the parents, but it is not good for the brains of the children. It means placing a baby on a blanket and then hitting all around the edge of the blanket with a wooden spoon or a stick as a threat to the baby not to get off the blanket. If the baby tries to crawl off, and it does, baby gets a couple whacks (usually on the back of the legs). Once baby is "trained", then Mom can leave it there while she talks with others or does chores. Great, the child has learned not to play.

Infants need many opportunities to explore their world using all of their senses. As your baby begins to crawl and then walk, a safe environment is essential. From your child's perspective, if it's in view, it's interesting; and if it's in reach, it will be investigated. That's why it is important to "child proof" all settings where young children spend time. Potential dangers include unlocked cabinets, uncovered electrical outlets, medicines and cleaning supplies, and small objects that can be put into a child's mouth. You can prevent accidents with close supervision and frequent inspection to spot new dangers that crop up as children grow and develop.

ImNsho, the Duggars are too lazy to childproof and supervise their children.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM

556 posts, read 798,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have never heard of any pediatrician recommending *blanket training.* The Ezzos do, but they are not pediatricians and not psychologists either. Children NEED to explore their world, not to stay in one place. It's convenient for the parents, but it is not good for the brains of the children. It means placing a baby on a blanket and then hitting all around the edge of the blanket with a wooden spoon or a stick as a threat to the baby not to get off the blanket. If the baby tries to crawl off, and it does, baby gets a couple whacks (usually on the back of the legs). Once baby is "trained", then Mom can leave it there while she talks with others or does chores. Great, the child has learned not to play.

Infants need many opportunities to explore their world using all of their senses. As your baby begins to crawl and then walk, a safe environment is essential. From your child's perspective, if it's in view, it's interesting; and if it's in reach, it will be investigated. That's why it is important to "child proof" all settings where young children spend time. Potential dangers include unlocked cabinets, uncovered electrical outlets, medicines and cleaning supplies, and small objects that can be put into a child's mouth. You can prevent accidents with close supervision and frequent inspection to spot new dangers that crop up as children grow and develop.

It's never recommended that blanket training be a 24 hour way of life and I doubt that they do that. It's a learning tool. It teaches a baby to stay in 1 area, a safe area, when need be. It teaches boundaries. It's a really good technique to use. Like I said, I highly doubt the Duggars or anyone else is keeping their baby on a blanket at all times.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Here's a link to a "how to" for blanket training. It doesn't mention wooden spoons, though some do. To each their own. I think it's a fine idea and would have tried it if I knew about it. Maybe for the next baby....

How to Blanket Train a Baby | eHow.com

Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Whether or not the Duggars practice "blanket training" or what the outcome of it may be, they all seem like ridiculously smart kids. Obviously these theories are all just that--theories!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,794 times
I didn't blanket train any of my kids, but in their book, Michelle Duggar talks about teaching them to stay on the blanket for like 20 or 30 minutes-that doesn't sound too confining.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I didn't blanket train any of my kids, but in their book, Michelle Duggar talks about teaching them to stay on the blanket for like 20 or 30 minutes-that doesn't sound too confining.

Not at all. I WISH I heard about this when the kids were babies! It sounds like the PERFECT thing for doctors appointments and other places where you need the baby in one place and contented.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I need to get this straight. You hit the baby with the wooden spoon? And then you leave it there as a threat?

I am officially appalled.

I got down on my knees and thanked God for giving me children healthy enough to crawl around the house and explore. It's what babies DO!

SOME recommendations say to swat with the spoon/switch, others say to just redirect the child (what I would do). It's not to prevent the baby from EVER crawling or EVER exploring. It's to have an option of an area of safe playtime. I'm sure you and all parents did some type of "blanket training" whether it was putting up baby gates, closing doors, or constantly taking baby out of a particular room until they learned that room was off limits.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
I feel like there is more to the Duggars than meets the eye. I have done a lot of research on the Quiverfull "Religion" and violence and submission of the women seems to be a common them throughout.

Quiverfull Wives Confess -- Putting Birth Control in 'God's Hands' - Lemondrop.com

All God's children - Religion - Salon.com

Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, I didn't even see your previous post. I guess my post was a possible outcome!

Same here. I was born and raised Catholic. Catholics as individuals tend to be rather liberal on birth control. The ones who are more conservative use the Rythem Method or some other form of natural birth control. Quiverfuls use absolutely no type of birth contro, not even natural, and purposely try to have as many children as possible. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I remember learning about the rhythm Method in highschool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting