Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times

Advertisements

If you don't have an umbrella insurance policy you might consider getting one.

Also, you could not allow all the kids to swim at the same time if you have a hard time keeping track of little ones mixed in with big ones. That seems a very sensible solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 AM

613 posts, read 991,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
But YOU let them in there! I think you really need to grow a backbone, and just say, "No, until you can swim, or your parent is here, in the pool, supervising you, and signed a waiver, then you can't be here. Go home."

Now, as for your one child who can't swim... maybe you should spend time teaching him/her. If you actually like the other kids (which it sometimes sounds like you don't) - teach them at the same time.
Yes I invited them all over to swim because they were all playing outside and it was hot, but there are many times I have said no. I wasn't complaining, just responding to another post that watching kids in the pool is not always easy.

And I didn't say my son couldn't swim. I said he is not a STRONG swimmer and until his skills improve he is not allowed in the deep end without my being in the pool with him and not when there are a lot of guests

Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
If you don't have an umbrella insurance policy you might consider getting one.

Also, you could not allow all the kids to swim at the same time if you have a hard time keeping track of little ones mixed in with big ones. That seems a very sensible solution.
Thank you. The last time I let that many kids in including the novice swimmers was back in June. Guess I forgot how hard it was!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
WHY is your mind preoccupied with these trivial pool problems when your child can't swim?

My number one priority would be teaching that child to swim!

Screw housework! You own a pool for goodness sake! Teach your child to swim!

If the child is tall enough to stand on tipi toes in the shallow water, the child is old enough to learn how to be a good swimmer!

Your 'safety' priorities are ALL WRONG.
I didn't say my child can't swim. I said he is not a strong swimmer. There is a difference. Hence, he is only allowed in the deep end with ME and when there are very few guests, at least until his swimming skills improve.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
My children have never been invited to swim at your pool OP. Not sure who these rules are meant for, but you might want to try printing it up and giving it to them. Doesn't do a lot of good posting it for strangers.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Not sure why so many of you are getting totally bent out of shape over my post. If you don't have kids that you send to a neighborhood friend's pool, then why bother posting to this thread? In fact, why bother reading it at all. There are many threads in this forum that I don't bother to reply to or even read because I have no personal experience with the topic.

Maybe it's because someone chose to link an old post of mine when I was asking for advice. I'm no longer asking for advice. really there was no reason for that post to be linked. I already say 'no', I already send kids home for towels and sunscreen, I already send kids away if they show up at my doorstep in suits.

It's a DO's and DONT's list, one of many you can find all over the Internet. It's a parenting forum, therefor I assume most of the posters have kids. It is summer, therefor many of these kids are spending it swimming.

It's a list for PARENTS whose kids frequently go to swim at a neighborhood friends house. Ts a list that explains the manners and consideration a parent should portray towards the person who let's their kids swim in their pool. Some parents don't need a list because they already know how to be polite. Others either don't know or don't care to know, and apparently have the attitude that hey, if you let my kid in your pool, phooey on you if I don't send a towel or sunscreen or I EXPECT you to feed my kids, and if you don't like it don't invite them. I mean seriously, what kind of attitude is that?

I've gotten PLENTY of rep points for my post, so there are those that get it and understand it, probably because they have personal experience with it.

And for those who have been downright rude in this post, now I know where some kids get it

Old 08-06-2010, 07:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I have had a pool in the past. We always had tons of cheap towels. We always had tons of pool toys. We always had tons of sunscreen. If there were more people than towels/toys/etc. then someone didn't get one. If they didn't like that they were free to go home and get their own. Everyone was free to use the bathroom AFTER they dried off a bit.

And NO ONE swam in the pool that wasn't invited.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
I have a question about these snacks.

So nowadays if you invite a child over to your house to swim you have to provide something to eat? Is this an everytime thing or just if you have the kids over once in a while?

If kids these days are getting a cupcake every time they go over to the neighbors to swim I'm gonna be ticked because not only were we not getting snacks, back in the day, we couldn't go near the water for an hour after we ate. Another conspiracy by our parents.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I'm guessing that if kids are over there for hours and hours, at some point they get hungry and a snack is nice - just like if they were over at the house playing dolls, or on the swingset or Legos or Nintendo for hours and hours. In my house it might mean I cut up an apple or two and provide some water or lemonade or it might mean I set out a small bowl of pretzels. Not a meal - if it is mealtime, it is time to go home. If I had the same kids playing at my house everyday, and I felt it was too much to do, I would certainly feel free to tell them that they would have to find somewhere else to play today. I don't think kids should be at the same house playing everyday regardless of the amenities....but that's just me.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have a question about these snacks.

So nowadays if you invite a child over to your house to swim you have to provide something to eat? Is this an everytime thing or just if you have the kids over once in a while?

If kids these days are getting a cupcake every time they go over to the neighbors to swim I'm gonna be ticked because not only were we not getting snacks, back in the day, we couldn't go near the water for an hour after we ate. Another conspiracy by our parents.
Kids eat smaller meals and snacks at regular intervals...especially when they are engaged in physical activity like swimming or playing outdoors.

Regardless of the age, whenever we invite someone to our house we are prepared to offer refreshments. It's polite.

I don't know about cupcakes...most people here said things like pretzels, apple slices and the like. I don't generally offer pure junk foods (cupcakes, cookies, chips, etc) unless it is a party of some sort.

LOL @ the conspiracy part. I agree....we had to wait an hour, couldn't go out with wet hair, mittens a scarf would ward off the flu and your eyes will stay crossed forever if you keep doing that. Man....we couldn't have any fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting