Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why you feel that being a parent, as opposed to friend, means you can't do those things-within parent-child boundaries??? I do all those things with my kids, I am (one of) their parent, and I still support the OP.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I'm not sure why you feel that being a parent, as opposed to friend, means you can't do those things-within parent-child boundaries??? I do all those things with my kids, I am (one of) their parent, and I still support the OP.

I am assuming you are talking to me?

I don't see how you can foster an environment where being yourself, being a human being, being a family can possibly include an episode such as the OP described.

The situation that the OP painted for us is one of parental tyranny and total lack of respect (REAL respect) in that home.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM

117 posts, read 266,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post

Big Ups wanderintonc!!!!!!

it's appreciated!

p.s. Don't take the bait!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
Big Ups wanderintonc!!!!!!

it's appreciated!

p.s. Don't take the bait!

If interacting on a public message board where YOU put the issue on hand is baiting, then sir I'm guilty.

Why are you so afraid to defend yourself in a logical manner?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,257 times
Georgia Peach ... you said your child has already apologized (just a few hours after the incident). Did you return his/her things and privileges?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
Georgia Peach ... you said your child has already apologized (just a few hours after the incident). Did you return his/her things and privileges?
Computer privileges were "suspended" for that evening. Later that evening we talked. There is family policy of never going to be angry or upset with one another in our home so it was good to have that communication.

My child knows the boundaries, and our talk confirmed to me that this was a test of sorts. I let my child know that although I did not like the action, I do and always will love him/her.

The next day, the other items and privilege were returned.

Just for today, all is well.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,257 times
Well that's good to hear.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
It's all good!

Actually, foul language is not used in my household period. My child has never heard me use this word.

In my frustration when initially posting this thread I used the word "friggin".

You and others, took my use of this word and ran with it. I can't control what you folks do, or choose to think.

Its that simple.

Hope that answers your question.
Yes, it does answer my question. You will allow a moment of frustration to excuse your use of a word that when your child used it (or a simple LETTER with the same meaning) you react very harshly and emotionally. People all have moments. You had a moment of frustration, your child had a moment of misplaced humor...both resulting in the same offense. I'm not sure why you hold your child to a higher standard than you hold yourself but just be careful, they WILL pick up on it at some point. It takes a strong person to not only recognize their own 'moments' but to be understanding and forgive others when they have moments of their own. And I'm still talking about a generally well behaved and respectful kid here...who you said was JOKING. It would be different if his intentions or overall demeanor were different.

It is that simple.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Yes, it does answer my question. You will allow a moment of frustration to excuse your use of a word that when your child used it (or a simple LETTER with the same meaning) you react very harshly and emotionally. People all have moments. You had a moment of frustration, your child had a moment of misplaced humor...both resulting in the same offense. I'm not sure why you hold your child to a higher standard than you hold yourself but just be careful, they WILL pick up on it at some point. It takes a strong person to not only recognize their own 'moments' but to be understanding and forgive others when they have moments of their own. And I'm still talking about a generally well behaved and respectful kid here...who you said was JOKING. It would be different if his intentions or overall demeanor were different.

It is that simple.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:57 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
LOL....What, do you think you are MY mother?

I know, I know....off to bed with no supper, again.
I'm a very bad girl.

Just remember...kids are people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting