Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
Leniency is exactly why we have so many thugs and hellions running around here today. I don't let things slide.

That kind of behavior to me is not cute, amusing, or entertaining.

I just choose not to tolerate it and reprimand by taking away privileges if it occurs.
Not really but at the same time being super strict could cause rebellion and even resentment. Just let them know, no need to be a "peer" but being a warden isn't necessary at all either imo.

But GTFO means Get The "Eff" Out (probably "Off" in your case) which is disrespectful.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
It has nothing to do with the topic, which is, young kids, living at home with their parents, who are still in the process of raising their children, because their children are too young to go out on their own, and those vulgarities issued by those children, in the presence of their parents, who are trying to teach them how to behave in a civilized way in front of their parents. So that when they do grow up, some day, they will know a) that there are rules, and b) that some rules should not be broken, and c) that if you are going to break the rules, you'd better know what those rules are, and the potential consequences for breaking them.

So when the kid is 35 years old, in a nice office job, and walks into his boss's office and asks "what the F(** is up with this F** e-mail you sent me?" the 35 year old kid, who is now an adult, will know full well that what he just said to his boss MIGHT get him fired. And that he shouldn't be surprised if it does, or wonder where his parents let him down by not teaching him the rules.

It has nothing to do with whether you're pals with your mommy.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It has nothing to do with the topic, which is, young kids, living at home with their parents, who are still in the process of raising their children, because their children are too young to go out on their own, and those vulgarities issued by those children, in the presence of their parents, who are trying to teach them how to behave in a civilized way in front of their parents. So that when they do grow up, some day, they will know a) that there are rules, and b) that some rules should not be broken, and c) that if you are going to break the rules, you'd better know what those rules are, and the potential consequences for breaking them.

So when the kid is 35 years old, in a nice office job, and walks into his boss's office and asks "what the F(** is up with this F** e-mail you sent me?" the 35 year old kid, who is now an adult, will know full well that what he just said to his boss MIGHT get him fired. And that he shouldn't be surprised if it does, or wonder where his parents let him down by not teaching him the rules.

I highly doubt common sense would even allow that. Even if the person was that disrespectful and ungrateful then I doubt they'd even make it to a "Nice Office Job".

People aren't robotic, they're not "programed" by their parents during the ages of 0-21, they don't have an Operating System and Software.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
I strongly disagree with this line of parenting on many levels. I think it's sad when parents think that their rules at home translate into adult responsibilities. I know parents who are doing that right now. If their 17 year old teen arrives home two minutes late, he is grounded for a month. They actually think this is teaching the teen to be on time for work! And they think chores at home are an indication of work ethic in the world. They believe everything they are doing will translate into teaching responsibility in the workforce. They told me all of this! LOL That's so ignorant on so many levels it makes me laugh.

Quote:
My children have always know that there were different standards of behavior in different settings throughout society. It's possible to teach children these things on an intellectual level, not via unrelated punishments. Maybe some people don't have children who are very bright. That's the only explanation I can think of for parents truly believing their children will swear at their bosses if they let a swear word slip with their parents.

Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you didn't read the entire thread.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
People aren't robotic, they're not "programed" by their parents during the ages of 0-21, they don't have an Operating System and Software.
I clearly have different goals for my children than the parents who think they can program their children.

I didn't raise little worker drones. I raised intellectual individuals.

I didn't even raise my children to have my own religious and political beliefs. I encouraged them to seek out their own beliefs.

I guess some people want little replicas of themselves.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Well then how about you ask someone who only looks at her parents as authority figures?

When I was a child, then yeah. I looked at them as authority figures. Because that's what they were. See, in the real world - not that fantasy land you live in, children live under the thumb of their parents' authority. And then, they grow up. And if the parents did it right, the children learn to live under the thumb of their own authority. And behave properly under the thumb of their boss's authority, and the authority of the law of the state/country/municipality in which they reside. The job of the parent is to teach the child to grow up and live as adults. That is the parent's JOB. The parent's job is NOT to be their child's friend.

Thanks for trying to take this thread off topic though. It was a good try. You get a C- for effort.

In the real world that I live in children, while under their parents' discipline are allowed to be silly, joke around, BE HUMAN. You seemed to be saying that kids should never, ever joke around with their parents because parents are not their friends.

I never tried to take this thread off topic. YOU did that when you completely misinterpreted my question.

My JOB as a parent is to prepare my kids for adulthood.
My JOY as a parent is to enjoy them.

The two are NOT mutually exclusive.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Lighten up! What Magritteto was asking you is clear to almost anyone reading this thread!

She was asking what type of relationship do you end up having with you parents as an adult if you only viewed your parents as authority figures, not friends.

Did you EVER become friends and joke with your parents? If so, when and how did this occur if it wasn't part of your relationship earlier in life?

This is all relevant to a post you made many pages back.

And it's all relevant to the overall discussion that evolved throughout the thread about authority vs friendship with parents.

Her post wasn't off topic. But your nastiness is definitely off-topic.

::standing ovation::

Yes, this exactly. I'm glad not everyone took me to be a sick and twisted individual because I asked a very relevant question.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:

It has everything to do with that. How can you nurture a relationship with someone if you don't allow that person to be a human being? If you don't allow for some just plain old fun and games?

Your insistence, on almost every thread, to extrapolate minutae into A Big Thing tells me that you don't understand childrearing and growing up AT ALL.

I don't want my kids to be "under my thumb". There is no need for that. They follow my rules but within those rules are a little wiggle room.

Being so obstinate isn't a good thing.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I strongly disagree with this line of parenting on many levels. I think it's sad when parents think that their rules at home translate into adult responsibilities. I know parents who are doing that right now. If their 17 year old teen arrives home two minutes late, he is grounded for a month. They actually think this is teaching the teen to be on time for work! And they think chores at home are an indication of work ethic in the world. They believe everything they are doing will translate into teaching responsibility in the workforce. They told me all of this! LOL That's so ignorant on so many levels it makes me laugh.

My children have always know that there were different standards of behavior in different settings throughout society. It's possible to teach children these things on an intellectual level, not via unrelated punishments. Maybe some people don't have children who are very bright. That's the only explanation I can think of for parents truly believing their children will swear at their bosses if they let a swear word slip with their parents.

Absolutely & totally on point. I act differently at home, then I do at a restaurant or at work or whatever. I am not dumb and neither are my kids. Its not difficult to have different rules dependent on a situation.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
I don't PLAY! I'm not my childs peer or friend. I am the parent!

--yeah responsible parenting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting