U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,431 times

Advertisements

My son has been in Day Care since he was 8 months old. He has always enjoyed playing with his friends and interacting with the teachers. Just before the end of Kindergarten i lost my job. We cancelled the After School Care as well as the Summer program because we could no longer afford it. I spent the summer with him, I have started back to work now, it has been about 3 months. My son has gone back to daycare, and he started first grade today. He is really emotional, he is crying and clinging to me. He keeps saying he is afraid we are not going to pick him up. I have told him that we are going to pick him up at the same time we always do. During summer his dad picks him up from day care, during school day care picks him up from school then dad from day care. What can i do? I feel terrible and dont know how to help him feel better. It has been 2 weeks since i started back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times
I am sure he is reacting to the change of having you go back to work. It's pretty normal. You may want to read some stories about mom's working. It may also be a reaction to the increased expectations of 1st grade or perhaps the longer hours of separation now that he is back in daycare. I would develop a goodbye ritual he can count on. Check that he is not having nightmares as he may have some scary thoughts that are developing into night fears. Listen to his fears as you have been doing and reassure him that dad is going to always pick him up. Give him lots of mommy and me time when you are home. He probably misses that since you were with him all summer.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Thank you nana053, I agree that it must have to do with me going back to work. I will definetly try the night time routine. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,100,171 times
First grade is a huge transition. I'd have a talk with his teacher to find out how he's doing in school.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Starting school and the recent changes could be enough to do it - but also talk to him and make sure there isn't anything else. Sometimes kids at that age begin to experience bullying.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM

I am curious about how his day is going. He has mentioned not knowing who to play with and a few other issues. It is hard to hear your 6 year old cry about not being happy. At 6 he is supposed to be happy all the time! I know that is unrealistic but that is your hope as a parent. Thanks for the input!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,942,116 times
I think the bigger deal you make of it, the more he will fret. The more positive you make things, the more positive he will view them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting