Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Coming off another thread, I didn't want this to get lost. For anyone who did not send their kids to preschool - why not? Reasons I've heard or can think of:

You are going to home school anyway (this one makes sense to me)

Can't afford it (Education is a priority for me, so I'd find a way. If you truly can't afford it, there are programs that help)

Other than that I can't think of a reason no to send 3 or 4 year old to a half-day preschool program (6-12 hours/week).

Enlighten me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
We can't afford it. Otherwise YDS would be in preschool.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
I never wanted my child in day care, with babysitters, or in preschool. It's not necessary. The time goes by far too quickly for me to waste even a 1/2 day leaving her with someone else. Once they are in regular school, the time flies. My "baby" is entering 7th grade this coming school year and I don't know where the time went.

My child never went to any preschools but was still able to read (and comprehend) before any of her peers (most of whom went to preschool), she acclimated to the "routine" of "put away backpack & lunch box, hang up coat, put folder in desk, give parent notes to teacher" before any of her peers (most of whom went to preschool), she always got good grades and routinely made Student of the Month and Honor Roll, I always received compliments on how much more mature, polite, and respectful she was of teachers and staff than other students, she also earned awards in Citizenship and Compassion, etc etc etc.....

Imagine that without the "benefit" of preschool.

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on preschool, day care, etc. I chose not to use it and I'm glad I did. I'm sure parents who did use it are just as glad they did.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
My sister almost didn't got to preschool because she had a dairy allergy. Which is weird because my mom offered to send enough snacks for her for the whole time and extras in the event of special occasions. Also she didn't expect anyone to not send any type of dairy. She really just wanted her to be a normal preschooler. But the preschool wouldn't accept her.

They did eventually find one which would accept (not accommodate, because really there was no need for any special treatment) her. I believe it was from like 10-12 or 10-1 or something like that and it was 3 days a week.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I never wanted my child in day care, with babysitters, or in preschool. It's not necessary. The time goes by far too quickly for me to waste even a 1/2 day leaving her with someone else. Once they are in regular school, the time flies. My "baby" is entering 7th grade this coming school year and I don't know where the time went.
For some of us, that break would really make the parent/child relationship more fulfilling and positive.

Quote:
My child never went to any preschools but was still able to read (and comprehend) before any of her peers (most of whom went to preschool), she acclimated to the "routine" of "put away backpack & lunch box, hang up coat, put folder in desk, give parent notes to teacher" before any of her peers (most of whom went to preschool), she always got good grades and routinely made Student of the Month and Honor Roll, she also earned awards in Citizenship and Compassion, etc etc etc.....

I don't think preschool is needed for all kids. I do think that it provides a needed service for some kids and some parents though. Nothing wrong wtih that........

Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:

My child never went to any preschools but was still able to read (and comprehend) before any of her peers (most of whom went to preschool), she acclimated to the "routine" of "put away backpack & lunch box, hang up coat, put folder in desk, give parent notes to teacher" before any of her peers (most of whom went to preschool), she always got good grades and routinely made Student of the Month and Honor Roll, I always received compliments on how much more mature, polite, and respectful she was of teachers and staff than other students, she also earned awards in Citizenship and Compassion, etc etc etc.....

I guess I can see that. Some parents need that couple of hours to "recharge" and be better parents for the rest of the week. I guess not all need that.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We can't afford it. Otherwise YDS would be in preschool.
have you checked with your school district? I know some have a sliding scale based on income.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
have you checked with your school district? I know some have a sliding scale based on income.

No, I haven't. I don't even know where to start.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, I haven't. I don't even know where to start.
I suppose check the district web site or call the district office.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on preschool, day care, etc. I chose not to use it and I'm glad I did. I'm sure parents who did use it are just as glad they did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I guess I can see that. Some parents need that couple of hours to "recharge" and be better parents for the rest of the week. I guess not all need that.
... and there are so many mundane, necessary things to fill that couple of hours with. My kids were much happier at preschool than they were grocery shopping with me or watching me clean toilets. Those things need to get done anyway. My kids and I are all happier if they DON'T go to the grocery store with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting