Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Yes. Mostly by commercial advertisements for fast food. Also, that evil "and ice cream makes the meal, WOO!" soccer mom and the evil children who instigate her from the back seat. They give me nightmares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:56 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes. Mostly by commercial advertisements for fast food. Also, that evil "and ice cream makes the meal, WOO!" soccer mom and the evil children who instigate her from the back seat. They give me nightmares.
I feel the same way living in the time when Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady GaGa, Justin Bieber, and Ke$ha are the most popular musicians. I feel a bit of overexposure.

Last edited by green_mariner; 08-15-2010 at 01:07 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 AM

They don't play -any- of that stuff on the radio station I listen to, so I am not exposed at all to it. When it comes to music, you -can- vote with a push button. Simply change the station.

I listen to the same station I've listened to since 1974. And they play a lot of newer stuff, mixed in with the same stuff they used to play then. So I'm getting Nickleback and 3 Doors Down, mixed with Ozzy and Black Sabbath, CSNY, Queen, Rush, Yes, Van Halen and AC/DC, Led Zep and Dio. REM, U2... A HUGE variety of music, spanning over 50 years of rock and roll history.

When you have choices like that, why WOULD you want your kids to endure Lady Gaga?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They don't play -any- of that stuff on the radio station I listen to, so I am not exposed at all to it. When it comes to music, you -can- vote with a push button. Simply change the station.

I listen to the same station I've listened to since 1974. And they play a lot of newer stuff, mixed in with the same stuff they used to play then. So I'm getting Nickleback and 3 Doors Down, mixed with Ozzy and Black Sabbath, CSNY, Queen, Rush, Yes, Van Halen and AC/DC, Led Zep and Dio. REM, U2... A HUGE variety of music, spanning over 50 years of rock and roll history.

When you have choices like that, why WOULD you want your kids to endure Lady Gaga?
Radio on your own time isn't what you have to worry about. It is when you go to the gym, to public places that one has to worry.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Our gyms don't have music pumping through the speakers. They're integrated into the machines so you can plug in and listen to whatever you like, or watch TV instead.

As I said, I don't get overexposure to any of this stuff, I don't get any exposure to it, period. I didn't even know who Lady Gaga was until I read about her here. I still have no idea what her music sounds like, and wouldn't recognize it if I heard it. I know who Miley Cyrus is, but again, I wouldn't recognize her music and don't know what it sounds like.

The only Rhianna stuff I know is some commercial on TV that she sings a little snippet for. I think it's a shaving product; I don't even know that much.

As for music in the supermarket, if it's something I don't want to hear, I'll turn off my hearing aids. I imagine earplugs would serve the same function for people who don't have hearing aids. But our supermarket has some fake radio station that plays all the best supermarket tunes, so I get to listen to Hall and Oates, and Dan Fogelberg, and Fleetwood Mac, and Elton John - stuff I like anyway

Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The first thing that struck me about the OP was its sweeping generalization. I'm a 71-year-old male, and I like Beyonce, I think she is a brilliant star with lasting talent, I like some of her movies, and a lot of her music, and she is handling her career very smartly. I'd seriously question anyone who thought their children ought not to be exposed to her, merely because she has name recognition in a certain genre. I don't even know who Lady Gaga is. Madonna is OK too, but has maybe gone off the edge a few times.

My parents objected to my sister listening to Frank Sinatra.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Didn't read all the responses but I will say my 11 & 13 year olds love Lady Ga Ga's music. They also know that she is a really strange person and do not by any means look up to her.
that is my daughters in a nutshell. They love her (as well as many other so called "bad" musicians) music but are also well aware that she is not to be looked up to. I think a few people have a hard time realizing that just because a kid listens to certain singers, doesn't mean they think that person is a good role model. In fact, I was driving my 15 year old daughter and 4 other girls (oh, the conversations you hear!) home from volleyball the other day and they all agreed that Katy Perry shouldn't act so "sl*tty" and the California Girls video was gross. And that was coming from girls who listen to and like that kind of music.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
My mom has let me listen to generally whatever I wanted from middle school onwards. She never wanted to be like her parents, who would hardly let her listen to any rock n' roll music when she was growing up. So what happens when a parent says "You are never allowed to listen to that!".. that sure would make me want to listen, and that's what she did.

Not all the lyrics in today's music are especially bad. People keep bringing up Beyonce- there's nothing in "Put a Ring on It" or "Halo" that is explicitly sexual. But what about good 'ol rock and roll from back in the day- I'm sure Robert Plant didn't mean to imply anything when singing "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love"

Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,259 times
I don't mind if my kids listen to most music unless it is overtly sexual. Some songs have a little sexuality in them and I can deal with that, but when it's obvious I change it (like a song about strippers & dancing on poles). Really though the talk show hosts on the local radio station can be more crude than the music! It's pretty bad and I rarely listen to it myself because of that even when alone in the car. I always have a CD playing.

I am strict about music videos (they aren't allowed to watch them at all during the preteen years, then on a limited basis after that). That's difficult to control because of youtube on the computer. Music videos can be extremely raunchy!

I'm not that strict about music because I don't think kids are going to run out and do something just because they heard it in a song. Think back to the type of music you probably listened to when you were younger. For me it was the 80s/early 90s rock. Did Aerosmith "Janie's got a gun" make you go shoot someone? Did Motley Crue "Dr Feelgood" make you go do drugs? For most people I would say no because if they were going to do those things they would've done it with or without a song.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
I'm just curious how many parents let their children listen to lady gaga, beyonce & rhianna and pretty much all of the other pop/rock/rap/etc. artists... I'm not judging anyone's parenting style- just wondering if I am the only one who thinks they are the worst possible influence. (sounds judgmental- I know) I honestly just wonder if people notice what I have. How old are your kids that listen to them and have you seen the videos or listened to the messages? I again stress that I am not judging YOU but I certainly won't hold back my opinions of them- fair warning. fyi- I know music has always been this way and ever since music videos came out parents have been saying these things- but seriously have you seen this crap?!

Both of my kids listen to these particular artist mainly because they are on the pop radio stations and I don't view most pop artist as bad influences. My kids are 11 and 4 and they mainly just listen and dance to the beat but I will admit that many of the lyrics are too mature for their age, but music has always pushed the envelope in some sense.
To me, I would actually rather have my daughter listen and watch ga ga, beyonce and/or rhianna over miley cyrus and the reason being is that ga ga, beyonce and rhianna are at least adults while miley is a teen trying to be an adult. Plus, I listened and watched madonna growing up and at the time she was very controversial and I don't think that by listening to her or singing 'papa don't preach! I'm keeping my baby' to my dad when I was 6 has or had anything to do with the way my life turned out. I also sang 'like a virgin' again at like age 6 and I'm sure at the time my family was totally embarassed but I didn't understand what I was singing at the age. It's not like a knew what a virgin was at 6 and when I found out when I was older, I just thought it was funny that I use to sing that song around town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting