Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM

812 posts, read 1,898,811 times

Advertisements

We see studies all the time about families with 3 kids and the personality traits they have. Well what about families with only 2 kids or 4 kids etc...?

DH and I both come from 2 child families and only have 2 kids ourselves.

We are both 1st borns and are much more motivated/driven than our siblings. DH was an only child til he was 10.

My 1st born is headstrong, highly inquisitive, bossy and very sensitive-definitely the more serious one of the 2.

The 2nd one is hysterically funny, sassy, also very inquisitive and demanding.

We don't have the middle child to intermediate between the 2!

Do your kids in general really follow those "traits" from the studies or is it all too random??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,674,512 times
There are 5 of us, and I am second. For my first 7 years, I was middle and it was the first three of us that determined our places in our family. The last two came later, so it was three older, two younger.

I would say we pretty much fall into the mold.

Both our girls are like onlies because there are 17 years between them.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 PM

574 posts, read 2,038,611 times
My brothers and I seem to follow that mold and so do our children. Our oldest DS is responsible, compliant and serious. Our younger DS behaves very much like a youngest, great sense of humor, very compassionate and just fun loving. Our youngest, a DD, is 9 years younger than our younger son, so she has a lot of the same traits as our oldest.

Nancy

Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,218 times
I am doing a research paper on this for one of my classes at school, and I need primary research. I need lots of people to fill out my survey, so if you could fill it out that would be great. You can even send it to people you know, thank you so much! Here's the link:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/vie...STc3N3VGT1E6MA

Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,077,838 times
My husband and I are both middle children. Both of us were ignored growing up. Some may say this is the classic middle child whine but it really is the truth. I am a middle child of 3 and hubby is a middle child of 5. Both of us have similar experiences with being pushed aside and ignored. Even as adults we are the last to know anything in our families. Sometimes it feels like being a ghost. I have several friends that have 3 children and they admit they tend to ignore their middle ones. It seems bizarre to me why it happens. I guess the first born represents all the first's. The last child represents the very last child to be born into the family. The last one usually ends up spoiled and the parents are baffled why the kid is a brat. So the first and last have their respected spots.

When my husband and I started our family we decided on one child because from our experience it did not seem to be a huge benefit to have siblings. I think if people want more than one child, two children are best. But that is just my opinion.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
My sister and I are both middle children. She always felt like a middle child, but I've never felt like one.

I have many of the middle child traits listed on the following chart, except I don't "think life is unfair" and I'm not "secretive."

But I am the most trusted with secrets out of all my siblings.

Birth Order Traits | Birth Order Characteristics

I'm also a strong leader. All of the children in my family are natural leaders. We share sense of humor too.

I suspect that leadership and humor must be a family trait for my family, not a birth order thing.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,077,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My sister and I are both middle children. She always felt like a middle child, but I've never felt like one.

I have many of the middle child traits listed on the following chart, except I don't "think life is unfair" and I'm not "secretive."

But I am the most trusted with secrets out of all my siblings.

Birth Order Traits | Birth Order Characteristics

I'm also a strong leader. All of the children in my family are natural leaders. We share sense of humor too.

I suspect that leadership and humor must be a family trait for my family, not a birth order thing.
Cool. I like the link!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,494,291 times
I'm the youngest of two -- but I have as much internal motivation/desire for high achievement as my older brother. In fact, all thoughout school/college I was definitely the higher achieving.

I was by no means spoiled (my parents were not spoilers) - however I did have an easier time with certain things (staying out a little later, driving the car more) - as it is true that parents are desensitized to these things more as the younger children come along.

I think I also got more priveleges because my high achievement demonstrated that I deserved it and could handle the responsibilities.

While there's no question birth order comes into play, its a broad generalization and the dynamics of the parents in any particular family may differ significantly from the stereotype.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,089,429 times
As one of my psychology profs said in college, "birth order only matters if you let it". Quite honestly, I know more "exceptions" the the birth order "rule" then those that actually follow the pattern. I would say that second children often are opposite of first children.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,670,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
We see studies all the time about families with 3 kids and the personality traits they have. Well what about families with only 2 kids or 4 kids etc...?

DH and I both come from 2 child families and only have 2 kids ourselves.

We are both 1st borns and are much more motivated/driven than our siblings. DH was an only child til he was 10.

My 1st born is headstrong, highly inquisitive, bossy and very sensitive-definitely the more serious one of the 2.

The 2nd one is hysterically funny, sassy, also very inquisitive and demanding.

We don't have the middle child to intermediate between the 2!

Do your kids in general really follow those "traits" from the studies or is it all too random??
The closest thing that I have seen to science about two child families is that having a boy and a girl is very similar to having two "first children" and that two of the same gender, particularly if they are close in age, will yield two adults who have very different skill-sets and personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting