Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Southwest flight attendant returned infant before landing; parents not charged.

A Southwest Airlines flight attendant reportedly removed a baby from her parents' care mid-flight after witnessing the mother slap her crying child.

Crew takes baby slapped by mom aboard plane - Travel - News - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Before this gets blown out of proportion-the crew took the baby so the Dad could get out of his seat and take care of the baby.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
It is good the crew diffused the situation before it got out of hand and offered help instead of hindrance for the father to calm the child. Children are very hard to travel with at times and I glad to see it ended well for all involved.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
I feel they did the right thing.
I wish they had cited the mother, who slaps a 1 year old in the face for crying....who slaps a 1 year old in the face for anything?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 AM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times
Quite a few people.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:48 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Yep quite a few indeed . My sister and I were stopped at a circle k once and the woman kept hitting her child in the back seat . well this drove my sister nuts and she asked the lady "how many more times are you going to hit that child ?" the lady shouted back at my sister f-ing mind your own business . That was it my sister called 911 in the meantime the lady left but not before my sister got her tag number . she followed up on it and found out the lady was not even at the addy that the tag was registered to . figures . yep lots of ppl smack 1 yr olds unfortunately .

Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It was nothing at all like the scenario that was described by the hysterical media. The flight attendant picked up the baby as a precaution, having been informed by another passenger that there was a disturbance. They baby was never in danger, but the flight crew took protective measures, until the circumstances could be clarified.

"After determining the mother's behavior appeared to be an isolated case, the police returned the baby to the parents, who did not receive a citation and were allowed to continue to their final destination.?

Read more: Flight attendant takes baby girl away from mother who slapped her child in the face onboard a plane

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A mother told aviation police she slapped her crying 13-month-old daughter on a flight between Dallas and Albuquerque because the child kicked her, authorities said.

Baldwin said the mother told him she "popped her when she kicked me and that was it." She told the officer she hadn't done anything wrong.

The mother also told Baldwin the baby was tired and crying, and "when she's screaming and she can't hear me say no, that's the only way I can get her to stop."

McCurley described the mother as agitated with the child, said the woman also slapped the baby on the legs and told the child to shut up.

Mom says she slapped baby who kicked her on flight | General Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100818/US.Flight.Attendant.Baby/ - broken link)

I find it totally unacceptable to slap a baby across the face or tell her to shut up.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
wow.

Mom: Hitting is wrong. (hits kid)

Anyone else see a problem with that?

If you have a child that goes out of control like that (Autistic/Aspergers, RAD, etc..) you learn to do a protective hold on them that will not harm YOU or the child.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
wow.

Mom: Hitting is wrong. (hits kid)

Anyone else see a problem with that?

If you have a child that goes out of control like that (Autistic/Aspergers, RAD, etc..) you learn to do a protective hold on them that will not harm YOU or the child.
You think hitting is wrong. That does not make hitting wrong. Hitting for the purpose of doing bodily harm is wrong. That did not happen in this case. The mother used a nonviolent gesture of authority to control a child who (like most adults) gets driven to an unreasonable level of exasperation by the experience of commercial air flight.

Some children who are NOT autistic are capable of behaving in exasperating ways, and training yourself to treat them as though they are autistic would be misdirected and counterproductive in the long run and probably seriously damage the child.

The child's routine was horribly disrupted by the travel schedule, the child was beyond a point at which the customary discipline would work, and the parents felt driven to employ alternate methods in an environment where few alternatives are available, to resolve a highly unusual discipline situation.

How easy it is for all of us to say "I would have done it better". You know almost nothing about what happened, except what you read in a news media that consistently makes it its (highly profitable) business to distort every incident in in the most inflammatory and accusatory way possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting