Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
If a woman has pap smears as she should, most cervical problems are detected early. Instead of giving our daughters shots that could or could not cause problems why not teach them to be pro-active in regards to their health, ie you get a pap smear when you become sexually active no matter the age or at age 18 and continue with said pap smears until a doctor tells you, you no longer need them.
Several people have posted that they had no symptoms until they had a full blown case of the disease despite getting regular paps.

Quote:
I tend to agree with posters who want to see a vaccine that has been on the market alittle bit longer. I think it can cause a false sense of security and possibly cause a young woman to become lax with her healthcare, thinking that the Gardasil will take care of any HPV when in fact it doesn't treat every strain.
If that's your only concern, why not get it and continue with annual paps, as is recommended? The vaccine has been on the market since 2006.

Cervical Cancer Vaccine Approved
Quote:
All in all it is a personal decision for each individual and in this case their parents since it is adminstered before they are of legal age to make their own decisions.

I think it is very strange that they can come up with a shot for pre teens to treat HPV, but they have yet to come up with one to treat anyone over 26, considering how high of a risk they are saying everyone is at and how condoms won't prevent it.
The vaccine was tested on people 9-26, so that is who it is recommended for. It is certainly possible the ages will be expanded in the future.

Quote:
Maybe a reason to teach abstince until marriage for both males and females alike, that way your child isn't sleeping with everyone their mate has slept with.
In a perfect world.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-30-2010 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If that's your concern, that you might need a booster, why not get the series? It is not just a shot, it is a series of three, given over 6 months. There is no current recommendation for any boosters.

Of course there is no current recommendation for boosters because noone knows for sure how long the shots provides protection.

The shots are actually of no importance to me, since I am way above the age for receiving one. I just think people should be educated about all aspects of any vaccine and make an educated decision about it. When you have pediatricians who will not give it to their patients that would raise a red flag for me if I were the mother of a young girl or a young adult female.

A public forum IMO is not the place to get educated about something this important, you will always have the faction that if pro and the faction that is con who are very vocal about their opinion. Better to ask your doctor and do research for yourself instead of taking the word of someone who may or may not know what they are talking about.

As I said it is an individual choice whether one gets the shot or not.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Of course there is no current recommendation for boosters because noone knows for sure how long the shots provides protection.

The shots are actually of no importance to me, since I am way above the age for receiving one. I just think people should be educated about all aspects of any vaccine and make an educated decision about it. When you have pediatricians who will not give it to their patients that would raise a red flag for me if I were the mother of a young girl or a young adult female.

A public forum IMO is not the place to get educated about something this important, you will always have the faction that if pro and the faction that is con who are very vocal about their opinion. Better to ask your doctor and do research for yourself instead of taking the word of someone who may or may not know what they are talking about.

As I said it is an individual choice whether one gets the shot or not.
The only red flag that ped raised for me is that he hates females (which he does) and has some very perverted ideas about girls and their sexuality (which he does). He's not concerned that it's unsafe, he thinks it's for "bad girls", which in his opinion is the vast majority of them. Several other peds in that practice give it as a matter of course.

A booster is not the end of the world.

Are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Correction: No one knows for sure IF the shots provide protection.

Drug companies will do anything to make a few bucks. It has not been proven, and they advertise it "MAY HELP" protect.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The only red flag that ped raised for me is that he hates females (which he does) and has some very perverted ideas about girls and their sexuality (which he does). He's not concerned that it's unsafe, he thinks it's for "bad girls", which in his opinion is the vast majority of them. Several other peds in that practice give it as a matter of course.

A booster is not the end of the world.

Are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?
In regards to the first highlighted area I have no clue what doctor it is that you are talking about, I don't not have the time to read through pages upon pages of posts on CD, I respond the the OP, obviously someone posted something about a ped.

As of right now there are no boosters available, because noone knows how long the series will last.

No I don't believe I ever said you didn't know what you were talking about, I think I said that you never know if people know what they are talking about on public forums such as this one. Obviously you took it personally, since you felt the need to copy my post.

As I said vaccinate, don't vaccinate I don't care, if I had a daughter who was of the age to get this shot, I would make an informed decision based on what her doctor said and what my medical research showed, not on the opinions of strangers on a public forum and definately not what a drug company said.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah, it's new. So they will continue to study it and if the antibodies start wearing off, they will recommend a booster.

So what happens to the young women who have received the series and are having sex thinking they have used a preventive for HPV when suddenly the drug companies discover that the antibodies wear off? So you have young women that are not protected against HPV thinking they are.

I still think the shot will give SOME females a false sense of security and they may not be as diligent about their paps, thinking that they are protected from some strains of HPV.

The shot has not been on the market long enough to prove long term protection, so basically until it has been on the market longer noone knows, not the drug companies, the medical community or posters on CD.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
So what happens to the young women who have received the series and are having sex thinking they have used a preventive for HPV when suddenly the drug companies discover that the antibodies wear off? So you have young women that are not protected against HPV thinking they are.

I still think the shot will give SOME females a false sense of security and they may not be as diligent about their paps, thinking that they are protected from some strains of HPV.

The shot has not been on the market long enough to prove long term protection, so basically until it has been on the market longer noone knows, not the drug companies, the medical community or posters on CD.
Everyone should receive education when they go to start the series that it does not work against all types of HPV and that being immunized is no reason not to practice 'safe sex' for this and other reasons. Ditto with the paps. In fact, everyone receiving this vaccine should get this information sheet, every time they get a shot in the series.

http://www.immunize.org/vis/vis-hpv-gardasil.pdf

You will note it addresses the pap issue.

It has been studied longer than it's been on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Correction: No one knows for sure IF the shots provide protection.

Drug companies will do anything to make a few bucks. It has not been proven, and they advertise it "MAY HELP" protect.
That is not true. Here is what the FDA has to say about Gardasil.

Gardasil (Human Papillomavirus Vaccine) Questions and Answers - Gardasil, June 8, 2006

Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Everyone should receive education when they go to start the series that it does not work against all types of HPV and that being immunized is no reason not to practice 'safe sex' for this and other reasons. Ditto with the paps. In fact, everyone receiving this vaccine should get this information sheet, every time they get a shot in the series.

http://www.immunize.org/vis/vis-hpv-gardasil.pdf

You will note it addresses the pap issue.

It has been studied longer than it's been on the market.

That is not true. Here is what the FDA has to say about Gardasil.

Gardasil (Human Papillomavirus Vaccine) Questions and Answers - Gardasil, June 8, 2006
How many times over the years has there been a story on the news about the FDA withdrawing a medicine because it was proven ineffective or caused harmful side effects over the years.

I am glad that you believe so whole heartedly in this shot series and educating others about it, but there will be those who will prefer to take a wait and see attitude to make sure it is completely safe for their children. It doesn't make them wrong or you wrong, just difference of opinions.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
How many times over the years has there been a story on the news about the FDA withdrawing a medicine because it was proven ineffective or caused harmful side effects over the years.

I am glad that you believe so whole heartedly in this shot series and educating others about it, but there will be those who will prefer to take a wait and see attitude to make sure it is completely safe for their children. It doesn't make them wrong or you wrong, just difference of opinions.
I can only think of one vaccine, the old rotavirus vaccine, in my career, that was taken off the market.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Quote:
I can only think of one vaccine, the old rotavirus vaccine, in my career, that was taken off the market.

And Lymerix for lyme disease back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting