Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
And Lymerix for lyme disease back in the day.
Actually, the company suspended production due to low demand. It wasn't a great vaccine.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Lyme/main page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
I have all boys--my oldest is 15 1/2. We talked to our pediatrician about Gardasil during their annual physicals and he suggested we wait a year because there isn't much out yet on boys--their office isn't currently vaccinating them because he said insurance companies aren't commonly covering it at this time for males. Our son isn't sexually active yet, but I think we'll need to revisit this next summer.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
As I said vaccinate, don't vaccinate I don't care, if I had a daughter who was of the age to get this shot, I would make an informed decision based on what her doctor said and what my medical research showed, not on the opinions of strangers on a public forum and definately not what a drug company said.
hmmm... I don't believe I ever said I was going to base my decision on the advice of strangers. I simply wanted to know people's opinions about it to give me something to think about. As it stands, I talked to my daughter's doctor several days after posting the OP and made the decision that when she turns 12, she will be getting the shots. If you don't want to know other's opinions, why read the thread?

ETA: mb1547, my doctor said the same thing. I have a son the same age. I'm thinking that by next year, more insurance companies will cover it.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
hmmm... I don't believe I ever said I was going to base my decision on the advice of strangers. I simply wanted to know people's opinions about it to give me something to think about. As it stands, I talked to my daughter's doctor several days after posting the OP and made the decision that when she turns 12, she will be getting the shots. If you don't want to know other's opinions, why read the thread?

ETA: mb1547, my doctor said the same thing. I have a son the same age. I'm thinking that by next year, more insurance companies will cover it.

hmmmm, think I did say I don't have the time to go through page after page of threads to see what everyone has said, I merely replied to your OP, and someone replied to what I said.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Curious why you are waiting until she is 12? I thought they could begin as early as 9.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Curious why you are waiting until she is 12? I thought they could begin as early as 9.
The recommended age to start is 11-12.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The recommended age to start is 11-12.

Ahh, I had just seen several places that said it provided protection for girls and women ages 9 to 26, and assumed they would start the shots sooner rather than later. How is it going to provide protection to 9 yr olds if they haven't had the shot series? Hmmm just wording I guess, thanks for the info

Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,385 times
Default Mom chiming in

Quote:
I have a 10 yo girl and a 15 yo boy. I'm on the fence about whether or not to vaccinate them w/ this. I want them inoculated, but I'm not sure about the long term affects since it's so new... Any opinions?

Not really interested in the opinions of those who don't believe in vaccines, since that's not what I'm asking about it.

No way in hell will my daughter get this shot. It's promoted by the industry to save lives, as that's a great fear factor which = more revenue.
It's too new for me and not tested for long term side effects. My child won't be the guinea pig. I just don't trust that the drug companies are a benevolent industry looking out for us. They're looking to line their pockets with more $.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
It's not exactly new..it's been available to the public since 2006. It's been in clinical trials since 2001, and it was researched prior to the clinical trials as early as 1991.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
CDC - Health Concerns Following HPV - Vaccine Safety
As of May 31, 2010, there have been 53 U.S. reports of death among females who have received Gardasil. Twenty nine of these reports have been confirmed and 24 remain unconfirmed due to no identifiable patient information in the report such as a name and contact information to confirm the report. Confirmed reports are those that scientists have followed up on and have verified the claim. In the 29 reports confirmed, there was no unusual pattern or clustering to the deaths that would suggest that they were caused by the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting