Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,942,468 times

Advertisements

I think this video sums it all up.........Hope you don't laugh to hard

YouTube - Mark Scharenbroich - The Hobby Parents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,942,468 times
Parenting.......................

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 AM

207 posts, read 961,394 times
Interesting. Really what I'm seeing from this video, besides humor, is that parents with only one child (or the appropriate number that they can actually handle) have the time and the resources to actually parent. Not just spending their time trying to control and keep their children from destroying things and killing each other but actually cultivating their minds and nurturing them into people that will one day think critically of the world and learn that they have a voice. It may sound stupid but his parody of what it sounds like in a one-child car actually sounds a LOT like what my childhood was, as an only child. My parents included me in all the decisions they made, made me feel like I was important and my input was valuable. They didn't have to spend their time just doing the bare minimum to make sure I was alive and healthy, they could help me grow in other ways. Obviously the more resources and patience you have to go around to each child the better, and I guess with more than one it gets difficult for most people. Of course I would have loved to have a brother or sister to play with and most of the time I was lonely, but there were advantages to being an only child as well that I am just now realizing as I become an adult. The opportunities I had because I always had my parents' full attention and support really did help. I am an only child because my mother ended up not being able to have any more kids even though she wanted to. It's not something I chose and if I could have I wouldn't be, but I understand the advantages it gave me. I think parents should just have as many children as they have resources to fully support, otherwise you have people growing up feeling neglected and not being able to form healthy attachments.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,729,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Interesting. Really what I'm seeing from this video, besides humor, is that parents with only one child (or the appropriate number that they can actually handle) have the time and the resources to actually parent.
Parenting two or more children would be easier if the kids were not constantly pushing each others buttons. My kids love each other and they have fun playing together. But then they both have to have a certain toy at the exact same time several times a day. Usually a toy that has been abandoned for days.
On the other hand, I have come across some onlies who are annoying because they expect other adults to interact with them as their parents do.

IMO, attending to a child's every need and whim sometimes is not that good for the child because it doesn't prepare them for the real world.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,314,608 times
That's exactly how I would describe parents of one child Hobby parents. The more kids you have the more your patience decreases. Parents with one child do not realize how easy they have it.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Parenting two or more children would be easier if the kids were not constantly pushing each others buttons. My kids love each other and they have fun playing together. But then they both have to have a certain toy at the exact same time several times a day. Usually a toy that has been abandoned for days.
On the other hand, I have come across some onlies who are annoying because they expect other adults to interact with them as their parents do.

IMO, attending to a child's every need and whim sometimes is not that good for the child because it doesn't prepare them for the real world.
You hit the nail on the head!!!! They know how to push each others buttons and are quite good at it. SO while it is nice that they play together they also fight together which makes parenting them harder. Now trying having 3 kids!!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,806,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
My son went on a trip with the 5th grade class and there were 4 boys in the room. One of the boys in my son's room was an only child. I have met him and he is a nice, polite boy and he is well liked by the other kids.

When my son came home from the trip he told me "D's mother needs to have another child so she has something to do." Apparently D was unable to wrap himself in a towel after his shower because at home his mother wraps him in a towel after his shower. He also had trouble at meals because his mom always helps him order. I am apparently the typical mother of 3 because I tell my kids: "Hurry up and order. It's McDonalds, the menu is the same all over the country."

I thought it was cute video and true in many ways.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 AM

972 posts, read 2,434,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My son went on a trip with the 5th grade class and there were 4 boys in the room. One of the boys in my son's room was an only child. I have met him and he is a nice, polite boy and he is well liked by the other kids.

When my son came home from the trip he told me "D's mother needs to have another child so she has something to do." Apparently D was unable to wrap himself in a towel after his shower because at home his mother wraps him in a towel after his shower. He also had trouble at meals because his mom always helps him order. I am apparently the typical mother of 3 because I tell my kids: "Hurry up and order. It's McDonalds, the menu is the same all over the country."

That's funny! My oldest has also talked about several classmates whose parents need a bit more to do. When your hovering is so bad it is noticed by a teenager, you really need to back off.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

I'm a mom of 3 too and you are so right. Our kids learn to be more self-sufficient because we just don't have the time or the energy to treat our children like some parents of only children do.

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-20-2010 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,783,841 times
A wise woman once told me

"With one you can go around the world. With two you can't get out the front door."

So true....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting