Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 PM

395 posts, read 1,537,661 times

Advertisements

I have four kids. Three daughters and one son. First one was a girl, then I got a boy the second time. 3rd time it was a girl and we were thrilled because the husband is from a large family and all his brothers had all BOYS and one girl. We joked that it was a family tradition.

When number four was on her way I REALLY REALLY wanted a boy. I even bought a bunch of boy clothes at a yard sale.But by the time I was in labor I did not care what it was. I just wanted that kid OUT!!! She turned out to be another beautiful daughter and I do not think I would have been any happier if she had been a boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 AM

550 posts, read 2,821,172 times
I have 3 perfect boys.

I would love to have my own girl.

I hope my son gives me a granddaughter some day.

You are very lucky.

Congratulations!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,282,664 times
My only child is a girl, I think I would be thrown if I got pregnant again and it was a boy...I have an idea how to deal with a girl...not one clue how to deal with a boy...

Just give yourself time to get used to it. Its loads of fun buying all the cute pink things and playing barbies with them when they get older. In some ways its like reliving your own childhood through their eyes...it sounds like you know about some of the pit falls and you can help guide her through growing up with that in mind. I wouldn't have a clue how to deal with a boy.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:50 AM

894 posts, read 4,341,403 times
Bottom line,

You LIKE what you want, you LOVE what you get.....

Be grateful that you are able to have a child, regardless of it's gender!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 AM

402 posts, read 2,208,221 times
My first child is a boy...

When I found I my second was a girl, and I looked at the doctor, and said it scared the cr@p out of me!! She laughed and told me how easy girls are, and I told her hers wasn't in high school yet!

But really, I love my son, but there's something very special about a daughter. I am very, very lucky to have one of each!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,894,029 times
Girls now have every opportunity out there that men have. In many cases now they're doing better. Girls now outnumber boys in college and they do better in school at all levels of education. They're more focused, more pragmatic, and are better communicators. Without question, your daughter is being born at the best time in human history to be female.

It may shock you, but men do the same thing with boys. They ask themselves the same sort of questions about what kind of boy they will raise to a man. For men, girls are a blast because you can spoil them rotten and enjoy the fact that they aren't boys plus girls usually require less discipline so you don't have to be the bad guy. And as conventional as it may be, every man imagines walking their daughter down an aisle someday or enjoying the first dance at her wedding.

Boys are a hassle and, for men, there's the whole communication thing. It takes a great deal of effort for a father to always be honest and open with a son, particularly when they get to adolescence. It's very difficult to keep lines of communication open and even then your son may become a total stranger to you. I've seen a few fathers do everything right and still their son ends-up troubled. Boys are much more of a crap shoot.

Your concerns are valid but think of your first child and all the anxiety that came before he was born. You're doing well with him and there's no reason you can't do as well with your daughter. Congratulations!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,672,364 times
Some of these responses are so heart warming and welcoming - and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and concerns. I feel so much better. I posted right after the ultrasound.

Later in the afternoon I went and bought my husband one of those pink onesies that said "Daddy's little girl" He held it all night - he is so happy and beside himself. I am blessed to have this family.

THANK YOU

Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM

504 posts, read 1,761,893 times
I have two girls 14 years apart and that's what I wanted. My daughters do everything, wear pretty dresses, play football, golf, fish, dance, work on thier cars, anything guys can do they can, except the obvious.
They had less of a chance of getting into trouble with the law, going to jail, turning into perverts, More girls graduate from college, more women are becoming doctors and lawyers.
Yes, more girls get pregnant but who gets them that way and then leaves and doesn't pay child support?
Girls Rule.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:33 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 606,804 times
Well, when I got (surprise!) pregnant, I really wanted a girl...not because I'm girly, per se (cuz I'm really not that foo foo...at all...) but because I'm a girl & an only child, so I kinda had an idea of what girls are like (sorta ).

I found out at my ultra-sound that I'd be having a boy. Holy Crap! I didn't know crap about what to do with little boys. I know from experience with the over-grown ones (men don't really "mature", they're just boys that got bigger...hehe...I'm teasing, guys...well, kinda...) that boys try valiantly to destroy themselves in the name of "fun" and that they are horrendous on shoes...but that was about it. But now, I think my boy *rocks* & I would never trade him for a girl. When I was younger, I never thought I could cope with having a little boy.

Point is, you love getting to know her as her own person, & you'll have a blast being able to buy all the little outfits for her. I'm still bitter that little girls get their own wing in clothing stores while boys get a rack & a half off over in the corner somewhere...

Besides, she has a big brother to protect her from any guys with nefarious intentions!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 PM

62 posts, read 245,137 times
Congratulations, CityGirl72!
In time, may you come to peace & acceptance.
Wishing you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting