Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,653,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Pets are not children, you are right. But to someone who doesn't have kids, their pets may be someone that they have the same type of relationship with that you have with your kids. So to them pet loss may have some of the same emotions that you would feel if you lost a child.

All perfectly rational.
It's somewhat irrational to ignore over and over again the FACT that many people had pets and lived them before they had children. AND, to ignore that those o us who have had both pets and then children are telling you that th relationships are not remotely on the same level.

And then to continue to state that pets and children are equivalent is down right offensive.

Until you have loved a pet AND a child you have no business stating they are remotely the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,653,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So what? If that's how they feel, that's how they feel. why take offense? Really, your sensitivities are a bit fragile, aren't they?
Parenthood is a huge undertaking and I will admit, readily and with no shame, that I am offended when it is compared to pet ownership.

Likewise, I am offended children and the relationship parents have with them is equivalent to that of a pet and it's owner.

But mostly I am offended by how readily those claiming pets are equivalent to children, discount the experiences of those who have both. It smacks of the worst kind of arrogance "I love my cat so I know what it is like to lose a child". BS.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,282,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Wife and I are currently working on having our first child later in life, so currently our status is no kids.

Over the years we have allways gotten resentment from people who have kids.

I have had co-workers with kids tell me "Must be nice, all that money your sitting on from not having kids, you can do whatever you want".

or "you people with no kids, I wish I had your time and money"

Or as one ladys said to us. "There are those people with no kids, you know, the Rich People"(with a nasty tone).

Those words werent spoken jokingly either, there was resentment and jealousy in there voice and words. I know an older guy than me with no kids said he got that his whole life too.

Why do people have to be like that, they chose to have kids or had them accidently, but that is still on them, not my fault.

Just for the record, not all parents treat me like that, just a handfull. Most of the parents I talk to or know are great.
I honestly don't have a clue why some parents would say such things. It would never occur to me to initiate a conversation about the issue, unless I was asked my opinion about having children, much less question the validity of a couple's child-free status.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,138,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Parenthood is a huge undertaking and I will admit, readily and with no shame, that I am offended when it is compared to pet ownership.

Likewise, I am offended children and the relationship parents have with them is equivalent to that of a pet and it's owner.

But mostly I am offended by how readily those claiming pets are equivalent to children, discount the experiences of those who have both. It smacks of the worst kind of arrogance "I love my cat so I know what it is like to lose a child". BS.
I think I will kennel my kids this week.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,282,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
"I love my cat so I know what it is like to lose a child". BS.
As someone who's experienced both, please let me confirm that they are in NO way the same thing.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM

112 posts, read 291,800 times
I only wish my kids slept as much as my dog and ate once a day.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,274,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I've never heard of such a case where people are "hated on" for not having children. Not saying it's not true, but just never heard of it.

Those who do hate probably regret having children. Some might have felt that their life could have been more eventful and not boggled down from having children.

Then again, we need to think, ever child born is a result of human selfishness.
Good post, overall. With respect to the bold, maybe JUDGE is a better word to describe the rapport than HATE.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,251,742 times
I have had many pets in my life and currently have a cat who is 6 years old. Having a child and pet is in no way the same. The only person who would say this is someone who has never had a child and who obviously has no idea about the energy and love it takes to raise a child. Having a child is a 24 hour job. You can't just put a kid in a kennel and go out for a night on the town whenever you like. And then with having a child comes all the worries of school, college, are they eating the healthiest food, are they happy, are they being intellectually stimulated enough, are you hugging them enough, etc, etc. You would never worry about these things for an animal.

And I would never hate on a person for not having kids. Having children is a personal prerogative. Children are a LOT of work so I wouldn't have them unless I was fully prepared to to make all the sacrifices that come with it.

I applaud those who don't want them for not having them, there are too many unwanted kids in this world as is.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,408,160 times
Well, not to say that my love for my son is not greater than my love for my dogs - but I can see where childfree folks could make this association and it certainly does not offend me as it seems to some others.

Actually, many do worry about the food their pet is eating; whether they are stimulated/exercised enough; leaving them too much; getting enough attention. They love them; take care of them; nuture them; enjoy the time spent together. It's like parenthood 'lite'.

As my father told me 17 years ago, when I was expressing some fears about upcoming motherhood, 'you tend to love those things you nuture and care for.'

So they call their pets their 'kids' or their 'children' - how does that hurt anyone?

Lighten up parents.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Wife and I are currently working on having our first child later in life, so currently our status is no kids.

Over the years we have allways gotten resentment from people who have kids.

I have had co-workers with kids tell me "Must be nice, all that money your sitting on from not having kids, you can do whatever you want".

or "you people with no kids, I wish I had your time and money"

Or as one ladys said to us. "There are those people with no kids, you know, the Rich People"(with a nasty tone).

Those words werent spoken jokingly either, there was resentment and jealousy in there voice and words. I know an older guy than me with no kids said he got that his whole life too.

Why do people have to be like that, they chose to have kids or had them accidently, but that is still on them, not my fault.

Just for the record, not all parents treat me like that, just a handfull. Most of the parents I talk to or know are great.
Why on earth would anyone get upset over remarks like that? They have zero to do with the childfree person and everything to do with the speaker's own dissatisfaction with their choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting