U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM

2,868 posts, read 6,217,363 times

Advertisements

My kids have a bunch and were into them last year. They will still put a few on every once in awhile. THey were banned in their school last year as well. They were to much of a distraction. I see them on adults just as much and I see them on kids...although I am now seeing silly bandz rings are starting to catch on here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 PM

5,515 posts, read 3,265,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
They just started becoming popular here, in about July. They're not a must have, but lots of kids (even teens) have them anyways.
I bought two packs last night. LOL
I bought the pack with the LOL CYA BFF TTYL stuff in it and then I bought the one with the numbers.

I have a pink and white on now. An XOXO and a 4.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,808,175 times
The 12-year-old I tutor was really into them in the spring (haven't seen him since school let out), and would show me all of his and tell me which ones he traded. What amazes me is the price of these things- $5 for a few rubber bands!

Although, I'm 19 and have thought about getting a pack. My friends like them too, but none of us have bought a pack. Just seems a bit expensive for what it is.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM

4,476 posts, read 6,031,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I bought two packs last night. LOL
I bought the pack with the LOL CYA BFF TTYL stuff in it and then I bought the one with the numbers.

I have a pink and white on now. An XOXO and a 4.
Not to nit pic here - but I will.

This would be an example of what not to buy if you are complaining you don't make enough to move out of your mom's home.

Just sayin'.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Not to nit pic here - but I will.

This would be an example of what not to buy if you are complaining you don't make enough to move out of your mom's home.

Just sayin'.
I KNOW!
But I have a discount and it wasn't much more than a couple dollars.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM

4,476 posts, read 6,031,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I KNOW!
But I have a discount and it wasn't much more than a couple dollars.
My dear, it's that kind of thinking that will keep you forever in your mom's house. If you can always justify a "couple of dollars" here and there.

You were so tight on your calculations to be able to move out that you were counting a friend repaying your $15!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:17 PM

This thread isn't about that.
I'd like ONE thread NOT about me to STAY on topic.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM

820 posts, read 3,364,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
My kids jumped on that "bandz wagon" in the Spring when they were HUGE in our area... you couldn't find them anywhere and stores were putting a limit on how many packs you could buy..
Now the trend is passing, the kids are still wearing them, but not a "must have" as they were only 3 short months ago
Every store has them in surplus now...
They've moved onto something different.
Hopefully that is concentrating on school when it starts!
Same here. We're in the mid-Atlantic area and my boys traded them like they were baseball cards. They started wearing them at the end of spring/early summer. Now the bands are somewhere hiding in their bedrooms, scattered, and not bothered with. It was a good education in trust, trading, and value (or lack thereof).

Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 14 hours ago)

13,619 posts, read 17,190,757 times
My son got into these around spring time. It started when one of the kids on his bus gave him one since he didn't have any. That then turned into him wanting some of his own. All together I think he's bought about 3 packs over time (yes, my son who is 5 actually has an allowance and earns his spending money) and conned his grandparents into a couple more.

It was interesting as the trading was a big focus for a while and I think the kids on the bus actually developed a black market economy based on Silly Bandz. My son actually felt he got "jipped" one day when he traded his last Tyranosaurus one for a bag of Teddy Grahams and the kid wouldn't trade back when my son regretted his choice.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM

4,777 posts, read 7,926,292 times
It's a passing fad. My 7 year old has collected over 100, a lot given to him in goody bags, and some bought with his own money. They range in price from 1.99 to 4.99 here for a package, I don't think that's terribly extravagant. He doesn't actually wear them, they make his skin red and itchy, so he just keeps them in a ziploc bag. I think it's harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting