U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,033,491 times

Advertisements

I just deleted 28 posts because of personal attacks, rude comments and responding to deleted posts...the topic is school supplies.

If there are any more personal attacks there will be some folks with infractions and an extended leave.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 PM

2,154 posts, read 2,373,414 times
This school is requesting sponge mops, brooms (YES) and band-aids

Do a word search-

SCHOOL SUPPLY LIST FOR ROOM 27

Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM

17,028 posts, read 14,538,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post

Do a word search-

Old 08-29-2010, 11:36 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,604,212 times
Quote:

Do a word search-

well, it's a Montessori school, so it's understandable that the supplies needed might be a bit different than a typical public school.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,008,784 times
I remember having to bring in a bucket, sponge, rags and a brilo pad at the end of the year for cleaning. I went to private school however.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 AM

2,154 posts, read 2,373,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
well, it's a Montessori school, so it's understandable that the supplies needed might be a bit different than a typical public school.
As a PRIVATE school receiving a tuition, and generally heft ones at that, they should be using some of the tuition money to fund janitorial supplies

Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 PM

17,028 posts, read 14,538,767 times
Quote:
As a PRIVATE school receiving a tuition, and generally heft ones at that, they should be using some of the tuition money to fund janitorial supplies

or raise the tuition a bit and buy them themselves.

Last year we parents were asked to help shovel snow! (public school)

Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 PM

852 posts, read 715,629 times
Quote:
Our local Montessori operates the same way, and the administrators expect parents to volunteer at the school one full day a week and serve on various committees (like, for example, fundraising). The school is also very controlling about what the children may or may not pack in their lunches. It's run as more of a collaborative than a school. I personally wouldn't pay to that kind of tuition to be saddled with those kinds of expectations, but our local Montessori isn't accredited either.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 PM

1,933 posts, read 5,689,585 times
I read up to page 8, but then stopped. I teach first grade. Here's what we ask for, and I'll put what we use them for. Yes, we do ask for more things now, than before, even back when I was a child. However, we have also learned different strategies, and as things get improved, things have to change.

*Pencil BAG, not box (boxes do not fit inside of the desk due to the books, and they always fall out

*2 boxes of pencils(you won't be asked for anymore during the year

*pink erasers (They tend to either use all of the erasers off of the pencils, or chew them off)

*4 pack of dry erase markers (3 to last them all year as they stay in their pencil case with their own whiteboard and 1 to go into a community supply for the centers that have white board work. Teachers receive their own, so we do not use students.)

*2 composition books

*6 plastic folders (they last better than the paper ones)

*index cards (children use them for sight words, in centers, and in activities)

*3 boxes of crayons 2 to last them all year, and the extra one to be used in centers by them)

*2 packages of glue sticks (glue sticks are NOT as messy as glue bottles, and yes, we dealt with them as children but when improvements have been made, there's no need to keep using what's messy. The glue sticks are for themselves, and for all of the center gluing activities.)

*tissues (we don't get them supplied. So if children don't bring them in, they will be wiping their noses on either toilet paper or the scratchy brown paper)

*bottle of hand sanitizer (unfortunately, most children do not wash their after coughing or sneezing, and most importantly, after the bathroom. In the bathroom is what teachers cannot monitor, so after they come out of the bathroom and "washed their hands", I make them put a squirt of sanitizer on just in case)

*girls- sandwich size baggies Once again, used for centers throughout the year)

*boys- gallon size baggies used for centers, and their guided reading bags

Old 09-01-2010, 07:04 PM

10,264 posts, read 7,756,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Last year we parents were asked to help shovel snow! (public school)
My goodness. That would be a hard thing for our public schools to ask for.

Now, I will say I am all for children taking some responsibility for helping keep the school clean. In one suburban school where I subbed, the kids had some duties in making sure the cafeteria was kept clean. The kids rotated jobs. On one day they had to make sure that all the trash was off the table, another day they would wipe the table with a wet cloth and another day they would sweep under their table. It created a sense of ownership for the kids and it was not a lot of work. The janitors still mopped the floor and such after the kids left.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting