U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 AM

24,968 posts, read 30,503,011 times
Post News, Playing with children 'boring for parents'

As many as 21% of parents have forgotten how to play with their children, according to a poll today.

And 30% of mothers and fathers think playing with their offspring is boring, the survey commissioned by Disneyland Paris found.

Playing with children 'boring for parents' - Home News, UK - The Independent
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 AM

9,642 posts, read 4,173,441 times
Playing kids games with one's children can be boring, but hey, it's part of the job!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 AM

477 posts, read 1,230,467 times
Yes!! I’m sorry to say but I do find playing Legos and other things with my son not fun... We do have fun playing board games especially when I catch him cheating!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,566,495 times
Playing with kids is a blast. When mine were little, we played with Legos for hours. We have always put together jigsaw puzzles and played board games. We still play board games.

Even when they were babies, I loved playing with them. They had plenty of playtime alone too, but I've always enjoyed played with my kids.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 AM

16,938 posts, read 13,908,354 times
I agree. It can be boring.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,867,451 times
Is 30% really newsworthy? It seems the real purpose of the study is "hey, you're bored so come to Disney Paris!"?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM

9,939 posts, read 7,256,716 times
Parents playing with kids is actually a recent invention. Parents rarely played with their children throughout most of history. Children were expected to go play with other children. Parents were busy working in the house or out of the house. Of course, during much of history, children went out to work young. Whether this was on the family farm or as child labor in factories or in the home. Even when I was growing up, playing with parents was a rare treat. It was not something that happened every day or every week. Of course, parents in our culture have played with babies to an extent, but even that was limited.

Leave those kids alone - The Boston Globe

Dorothy

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM

852 posts, read 690,457 times
There is nothing remotely interesting about hours of Candyland, unless it's played with tequilla and other adults.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,324,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
There is nothing remotely interesting about hours of Candyland, unless it's played with tequilla and other adults.
When I read the article the first thing I thought of was 5 in a row games of Candyland. DD LOVED Candyland, lol. And, there are books we read when they were little that are permanently ingrained in MY memory after reading them hundreds of times. I can build a lego boat or video camera with my eyes closed, lol. The kids are close in age and played a lot with each other most of the time. I enjoyed my kids, I don't so much enjoy Candyland and building legos.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,090,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Parents playing with kids is actually a recent invention. Parents rarely played with their children throughout most of history. Children were expected to go play with other children. Parents were busy working in the house or out of the house. Of course, during much of history, children went out to work young. Whether this was on the family farm or as child labor in factories or in the home. Even when I was growing up, playing with parents was a rare treat. It was not something that happened every day or every week. Of course, parents in our culture have played with babies to an extent, but even that was limited.

Leave those kids alone - The Boston Globe

Dorothy
This is the truth. My brothers and I were always outside or inside doing something alone or with other kids. I can't really recall my parents "playing" with us. What we had were family outings to amusement parks, sleigh riding, camping trips, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting