Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

How about - if you buy a car, the government mandate that you let them know if you have kids of the age that they would not be expected to be capable of opening the car door and letting themselves out. And if you do, then you have to pay a surcharge for the privilege of owning a car, and that surcharge goes to the manufacturer of whatever company makes those kinds of detection systems in cars that tell the person that they left their kid in the back seat.

That way, the manufacturer gets paid for this device, but people who don't have kids don't have to pay for parents' forgetfulness.

I shouldn't have to pay for a device that won't benefit me, just because it might benefit a few parents who forget they brought their kids with them. I like the idea of having a device. I don't like the idea of absorbing the cost of it in the car's price to everyone who buys that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
no- why should we have to pay the extra costs this will pass to the consumer just because some irresponsible people can't remember they have children in the car? It's not just a matter of cost but taking personal responsibility for your own actions and not depending on government to think for you. Talk about Big Brother!!!!!
But it is not the child's fault so why should s/he pay with her life?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
How about - if you buy a car, the government mandate that you let them know if you have kids of the age that they would not be expected to be capable of opening the car door and letting themselves out. And if you do, then you have to pay a surcharge for the privilege of owning a car, and that surcharge goes to the manufacturer of whatever company makes those kinds of detection systems in cars that tell the person that they left their kid in the back seat.

That way, the manufacturer gets paid for this device, but people who don't have kids don't have to pay for parents' forgetfulness.
But who will police that? What would prevent someone who doesn't want to pay the surcharge from just lying about it?

The sad truth is, there are things people with children do every day that endanger children's lives. Obviously no one wants to hear about children dying in such a horrible way. But where do you draw the line regarding the government getting involved and people being responsible?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
It should be something in the car seat. A pressure sensor like front seats have now for air bags and a thermometer. If the pressure sensor detects a child and the thermometer hits a certain temperature an alarm should go off.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
There is .... Cars N Kids Baby Car Seat Monitor, Baby Car Monitor, Infant Car Monitor, Baby Seat Monitor, Baby Car Safety, Infant Car Safety, Child Vehicle Monitor So every one can go out and get it now....

Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
I listened to a radio program recently that discussed this very issue.

Children placed in the back seat and parents distraction were part of the causes according to a study.

There have been products that help to alert parents but those didn't seem to be very big sellers.

It's an issue with a solution somewhere.

A device connected to the child car seat activated by the vehicle's seat belt latch and broadcasts a signal to a matching FOB on the key ring sounds like a great way.

But how to activate a signal?

How about RF signal that sets alarms off in the key FOB if no signal from the car seat link is constantly received from the interlinked seat belt latch? Make it low enough frequency / powered signal no that when you close the car door with your keys in hand, the FOB alerts you.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm sorry you went through that and it does sound stressful. But in all honesty, if you were that foggy, should you have been operating a motor vehicle in the first place?

Or if someone is over-medicated or under- rested. They are putting their child at risk driving in general if driving - not just maybe accidentally leaving them in a hot car.
No. I shouldn't have. Whenever I went to my endocrinologist's office, I would sit in front of him and cry about how terrified I was that I was going to hurt someone. I drove as little as I could. I went to work, to the doctor's office, and grocery shopping. I was afraid to drive. But my children wouldn't have been fed and clothed otherwise. That's the reality. When mothers get sick, we don't get to check out. We have to keep going.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
It should be something in the car seat. A pressure sensor like front seats have now for air bags and a thermometer. If the pressure sensor detects a child and the thermometer hits a certain temperature an alarm should go off.

That is an awesome idea. Why not build it into the car seats.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
[quote=AnonChick;15714752]How about - if you buy a car, the government mandate that you let them know if you have kids of the age that they would not be expected to be capable of opening the car door and letting themselves out. And if you do, then you have to pay a surcharge for the privilege of owning a car, and that surcharge goes to the manufacturer of whatever company makes those kinds of detection systems in cars that tell the person that they left their kid in the back seat.

I shouldn't have to pay for a device that won't benefit me, just because it might benefit a few parents who forget they brought their kids with them. I like the idea of having a device. I don't like the idea of absorbing the cost of it in the car's price to everyone who buys that car.[/quote]

I'd be willing to pay if it could possibly save a child's life.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
I wouldn't buy it. Too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I listened to a radio program recently that discussed this very issue.

Children placed in the back seat and parents distraction were part of the causes according to a study.

There have been products that help to alert parents but those didn't seem to be very big sellers.

It's an issue with a solution somewhere.

A device connected to the child car seat activated by the vehicle's seat belt latch and broadcasts a signal to a matching FOB on the key ring sounds like a great way.

But how to activate a signal?

How about RF signal that sets alarms off in the key FOB if no signal from the car seat link is constantly received from the interlinked seat belt latch? Make it low enough frequency / powered signal no that when you close the car door with your keys in hand, the FOB alerts you.
You do not want people to get annoyed if the alarms go off all the time. I myself have been known for pulling over next to the mail box and turning off the car so I can use the key to get the mail while my baby was in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting