Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
e! She's sweet! She sure does love the snow!

My dogs have NEVER rolled in the snow. When the lab was younger, he'd run around in the snow. Now that he's older, he just wants to get back inside as soon as possible.

The funniest thing is when my basset catches a scent in the snow. He'll get his nose down into the snow and start snorting. I swear he's snorting snow! He's an addict! lol
Oh Hopes, you have a basset?! We bred bassets when I was growing up. Our first basset was called Martha and she had 13 puppies. We had 4 bassets in the house plus litters. There's nothing funnier than watching a bunch of basset puppies run and trip over their ears and do somersaults.

You should let him know that white powder'll land him in the doghouse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Some pictures from a few years ago.....

Macie loooooves a car ride...but I don't think she particularly cares what the car looks like or if she can drive it to school!
Awww, such a happy face!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Did you get your project done Finster?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Did you get your project done Finster?
No I'm still doing it... I'm just flipping over to CD on occasion so my head doesn't explode

The happy dog is good. Perhaps Macie can be my therapy dog...

Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 PM

As long as you don't mind a happy dog who also sheds a lot. A lot.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh Hopes, you have a basset?! We bred bassets when I was growing up. Our first basset was called Martha and she had 13 puppies. We had 4 bassets in the house plus litters. There's nothing funnier than watching a bunch of basset puppies run and trip over their ears and do somersaults.
Cool! I always say I wish I lived on a farm so we could have a "herd of bassets."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus
You should let him know that white powder'll land him in the doghouse...
Even though he's afraid of the doghouse, he can't control himself. You, of all people, know the basset nose can't be stopped!

Quote:
As long as you don't mind a happy dog who also sheds a lot. A lot.
I love my old (14) labrador. But I'm done owning dogs that shed after he passes.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Cool! I always say I wish I lived on a farm so we could have a "herd of bassets."

Even though he's afraid of the doghouse, he can't control himself. You, of all people, know the basset nose can't be stopped!

I love my old (14) labrador. But I'm done owning dogs that shed after he passes.
Absolutely. I remember getting dragged about on the other end of the leash when I was a kid trying to "walk" Martha. Once they get hold of a scent, they're off. Also, even though they're very short, they are big dogs and are strong. We tried taking her to obedience class. Ha! They're very even tempered and obliging, but obedient they are not.

They're also very musical. The four of them could sing 4 part harmony if you howled at them.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Absolutely. I remember getting dragged about on the other end of the leash when I was a kid trying to "walk" Martha. Once they get hold of a scent, they're off. Also, even though they're very short, they are big dogs and are strong. We tried taking her to obedience class. Ha! They're very even tempered and obliging, but obedient they are not.
I've heard that about bassets. Mine listens.....somewhat. For example, if he's off the leash and gets away, we can easily catch him because he'll eventually stop to smell something. On the leash, he behaves. As a result, we drop the leash and let him walk around dragging the leash. He THINKS we're in control. (Yeah, they're not the brightest, but they're super sweet.)

If he starts to head out of the yard, we say "No" and he turns around and stays in the yard. When we call him, he comes running, happy to please us. It's funny when he's on a scent and coming when we call. He continues to smell while he is half hurrying to get to us (sort of like people who walk across the street in front of your car pretending that they are running but they aren't really going faster).

This took a few years. But after we started letting him drag his leash, we really made progress. Another thing, he has ALWAYS come whenever he is called inside the house. No matter where we are, if we call him, he comes running through the house to us. He always thinks it's WONDERFUL that we want him!

They are surprisngly strong. Every ounce of them is pure power. And they have gravity on their side too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus
They're also very musical. The four of them could sing 4 part harmony if you howled at them.
I guess we need more of them to hear the music. He used to have bay (is that what it's called?), but he now barks like the labrador most of the time. Very rarely we hear the hound bark.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 PM

Aren't dogs funny? I'm still up -waiting for DS to come home from a staff meeting, for a load of laundry to finish up and watching the end of Top Chef....DS just came home and went to bed so I'm the only one left downstairs. Macie is ready for bed, she's been outside and is now inside wandering around giving little low growls to let me know it's time to head upstairs (she usually won't go upstairs until I do). Goofy girl.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 AM

I tried to go to bed, couldn't sleep, gave up, and just came downstairs. The dogs are sleeping on the sofa on either side of me. My arrival didn't peak their interest one bit. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting