Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Tea Tree is a topnotch topical antiseptic. I use it instead of first aid cream and keep a bottle in the kitchen. Had to use it just 3 days ago, hubby was working on something in the basement and cut his finger.

On burning oils: If you're using a diffuser, then yeah you're getting the benefit by absorbing the fumes. If you're using "scented oil" in an incense oil burner, probably not. Synthetic scented oils don't have the chemicals that do the work of essential oils.

To make you and your kids feel like the home is a "cheery" place, citrus is your best bet. Rather than buy the oils (citrus oils have a very short shelf life, so it probably wouldn't be worth it to buy them since you had to throw them away after a month), you could just buy a couple of ruby red grapefruits, a couple of tangerines, a blood orange if they're in season (never get these off season), a lemon, and a lime. Make some fresh-squeezed juice with it - drink the juice (YUM) ...and then put the cleaned peels in a shallow pan of water and simmer it on the stove for 20 minutes.

Healthy juice for you and your kids, plus healthy air to breath, plus the citrus scent itself is known to be cheerful just in general. Many hospitals in Europe now use lemon essential oil in the air filtration systems, to promote recovery of their patients. Mental health has an effect on physical health and when the hospital air gives off that overall sense of well-being, the patients benefit from it.
That's a fantastic idea. DD eats fruit like it's going out of style. I throw out tangerine peels daily - I'll pop them in some simmering water instead.

I used to make a drink with all of those fruits together for singers I used to work with. You mash them up with some honey and add boiling water and a dash of brandy. The citrus really opens up the passages necessary for singing and the honey soothes the throat, and of course the brandy loosens up the inhibitions a little. It's really good if you have a case of the blahs in winter, too. Just peeling the fruit gives you a bit of a boost. I would say the oils released in the peels bouncing around in the air is enough to do it.

I did know about the diffuser v the oil burner. I have one lying around somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Another thing that's fun for the kids - something we did when we were kids. I don't remember the recipe but it was probably just Bisquick biscuits:

Cut oranges in half, scoop out the fruit and loose membrane. Eat the fruit. Make the biscuit dough but instead of putting it on a pan, drop a spoonful into each half of scooped-out orange peel. No idea of the temperature for the oven or how long it needs to be, there has to be a recipe for this somewhere online. Then once it's cooked and out of the oven and cooled off enough to touch the peels, you can "pop" the biscuits right out.

You end up with orange-infused biscuits that you can serve with butter and honey and it's really awesome.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Thanks for all the info, AnonChick! Wow, the things you learn on here. I use tea tree oil to open up my sinuses. One whiff and whoo-wee!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:06 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Another thing that's fun for the kids - something we did when we were kids. I don't remember the recipe but it was probably just Bisquick biscuits:

Cut oranges in half, scoop out the fruit and loose membrane. Eat the fruit. Make the biscuit dough but instead of putting it on a pan, drop a spoonful into each half of scooped-out orange peel. No idea of the temperature for the oven or how long it needs to be, there has to be a recipe for this somewhere online. Then once it's cooked and out of the oven and cooled off enough to touch the peels, you can "pop" the biscuits right out.

You end up with orange-infused biscuits that you can serve with butter and honey and it's really awesome.
That sounds yummy. I couldn't find anything like that doing a search - found lots of recipes for adding grated orange peel to the recipe though.

I like anything with citrus. Love lemon bars. I make scones all the time - my favorites are either lemon/poppy seed or orange/cranberry. Key is adding the zest. So good.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
FOUND IT!

Orange Peel Campfire Muffin

(We made our dough from scratch, that's why I couldn't find a recipe. They don't DO that anymore <snort> - use a scone recipe, should cook up just about perfect)

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
FOUND IT!

Orange Peel Campfire Muffin

(We made our dough from scratch, that's why I couldn't find a recipe. They don't DO that anymore <snort> - use a scone recipe, should cook up just about perfect)
I book marked that for the next time we go camping. What a great idea. I'd rep you if I could

Old 11-18-2010, 02:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
FINSTER: The system won't let me rep you right now but your zinger in the "double standards" thread was the post of the week!!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:52 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
FINSTER: The system won't let me rep you right now but your zinger in the "double standards" thread was the post of the week!!
Aww, thanks.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I saw this and had to had to look for the zinger. Sure enough that was HILARIOUS!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Okay - you made me go look! I hadn't been keeping up with that thread. Boy did I miss some drama. Wow.

Good grief - I can't believe some of your who live down in the same area as you know who held your tongue so well. I'm not sure I could have.

Last edited by WhereTheSidewalkEnds; 11-18-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting