Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 06:46 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,836,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
In the past 15 years, the number of working mothers having sex in the big happy family whoopee bed with the kids present, has gained a lot of popularity?

I have known, co-sleepers, but the kids were babies. Babies still in the stage where they were immobile, diaper fouling machines. The part where this thread goes sideways is the age of the kids.

And the sex. The age of the kids is bizarre, but the sex is what takes this one off the road and into a tree.
I agree...and I think when a child is sick or has an occasional nightmare it is also OK.

Couples need their own place and space for privacy and intimacy...I can't imagine saying to my husband...hey lets go to the guest room, closet, family room...wherever...no thank you....I like having sex in my own big, comfy bed....with the door locked. And, I also like just hanging out with my husband before we fall asleep talking, cuddling, or simply reading together.

My relationship with my husband comes first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 14,236 times
Oh man, am I shocked after reading this. Not because of what the OP is doing but because so many people seem to think that they have a God-given right to judge others on something so private as a place where their children sleep. Oh Jesus, someone dares to be different! She probably also breastfed her children up to the age of 2 (or, what a horror, 2 and half), and she certainly has a lax attitude about the places where to have sex and of course, let's not even get started on the whole unschooling/ homeschooling/ educational issue!
Why on earth do you even get the energy to feel so strong about this issue? Why is it so offensive to you if not everybody wants to do exactly what you're doing? Whoever gave you the monopoly on truth on other people's sleeping habits? Is there an amendment to the Constitution that I'm not aware of that prohibits co-sleeping after the age of 3?
Frankly, I'm sick in the stomach. It's been really long time since I last saw such intolerance.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:05 PM

72 posts, read 224,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty35 View Post
Oh man, am I shocked after reading this. Not because of what the OP is doing but because so many people seem to think that they have a God-given right to judge others on something so private as a place where their children sleep. Oh Jesus, someone dares to be different! She probably also breastfed her children up to the age of 2 (or, what a horror, 2 and half), and she certainly has a lax attitude about the places where to have sex and of course, let's not even get started on the whole unschooling/ homeschooling/ educational issue!
Why on earth do you even get the energy to feel so strong about this issue? Why is it so offensive to you if not everybody wants to do exactly what you're doing? Whoever gave you the monopoly on truth on other people's sleeping habits? Is there an amendment to the Constitution that I'm not aware of that prohibits co-sleeping after the age of 3?
Frankly, I'm sick in the stomach. It's been really long time since I last saw such intolerance.
Oh please, get off the high horse. There is a difference between intolerance and being concerned for an innocent child's welfare. That is the "strong feeling" you see on this issue. A lot of things this mother is doing to her poor children are glaringly wrong and disturbing. It's a shame that there are defenseless children involved here that can't do anything to get out of a sick situation. That is why people are reacting so strongly. Everyone has a right to do whatever the hell they want with their family in this country but that doesn't mean that people aren't going to judge you if what you are doing is clearly twisted and harmful. What happened to standards of decency? Seems they got thrown out the Politically Correct window and a lot of people are suffering for it. This person ASKED for other people's opinions, and she got them. I'm sure nothing is going to be done about it and she has been told before that what she is doing is wrong, but that's the benefit of living in a free society. You are free to screw up your kids as much as you want.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,411,134 times
Maybe your kids wont NEED algebra on a daily basis, as most of us dont... HOWEVER you do need algebra to obtain a college degree.
And without a degree?? Well they certainly can't do whatever they want without one. They would be very limited...

Old 09-10-2010, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 14,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
Oh please, get off the high horse. There is a difference between intolerance and being concerned for an innocent child's welfare. That is the "strong feeling" you see on this issue. A lot of things this mother is doing to her poor children are glaringly wrong and disturbing. It's a shame that there are defenseless children involved here that can't do anything to get out of a sick situation. That is why people are reacting so strongly. Everyone has a right to do whatever the hell they want with their family in this country but that doesn't mean that people aren't going to judge you if what you are doing is clearly twisted and harmful. What happened to standards of decency? Seems they got thrown out the Politically Correct window and a lot of people are suffering for it. This person ASKED for other people's opinions, and she got them. I'm sure nothing is going to be done about it and she has been told before that what she is doing is wrong, but that's the benefit of living in a free society. You are free to screw up your kids as much as you want.

Innocent child's welfare? Wrong and disturbing? Standards of decency?

I think the only question worth contemplating in this thread is: Are they or are they not having sex in front of their kids? If they are, yes, I agree, it's wrong, it can be damaging and they should not be doing it.

Everything else is truly not anybody's business. Yes, she asked for opinions and she got tens of pages of hysterical criticism. For her sake, I hope she builds up confidence to do what suits her and her family, and not listen to paranoid we-know-what's-right crowd.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:28 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,915,433 times
Quote:
Innocent child's welfare? Wrong and disturbing? Standards of decency?

I think the only question worth contemplating in this thread is: Are they or are they not having sex in front of their kids? If they are, yes, I agree, it's wrong, it can be damaging and they should not be doing it.

Everything else is truly not anybody's business. Yes, she asked for opinions and she got tens of pages of hysterical criticism. For her sake, I hope she builds up confidence to do what suits her and her family, and not listen to paranoid we-know-what's-right crowd.
Hello, the OP asked for opinions on a PUBLIC forum, sorry you dont like the answers.
If you cant stand the heat......

Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
Besides the part about having sex in the bed with the kids present. What exactly is it about her situation that you find so "sick and twisted"?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,181,651 times
Quote:

Somebody starts a thread, they're asking for opinions. Some of those opinions may not be all hearts and flowers and and sparkly unicorns. Debate, maybe with some snarkage, ensues. If we're all reasonably nice kids, the mods don't visit and threaten to send us to our rooms with no supper.
'Tis the way of teh intrawebs, m'darlin'.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,836,984 times
Quote:

Everything else is truly not anybody's business.
Right, so only the part of them having sex in the bed with children present is worth contemplating...because that must be our business...

It became our business when the OP posted the initial question on the internet....if they were concerned about privacy..they wouldn't have posted.

So if it is none of your business...why did you read and then post about it?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 AM

831 posts, read 1,579,317 times
I have 2 daughters. My oldest slept with us until she was 3. Her room was at the other end of the house and I was afraid she would throw up or something in the middle of the night and get choked. She would always sleep with us if she was sick up until about the age of 10. My hubby would sometimes go out of town for work and she would always sleep with me. I loved that time with her. Laying in bed talking, watching a movie together and me rubbing her hair until she fell asleep. We haven't done that it years and I miss that. Hubby hasn't went out of town for yrs. With my now 2 yr old, she still sleeps with us. We have a new house with the bedrooms close. For Christmas she will be getting a new bed and we will start moving her in her own room. For me I like my kids to be out of diapers, walking well (if thet need to come get me) and talking well (so they can call me if they need me) before the sleep on their own.

For us we always put a sleeping child on the sofa while we did "our thing" or the child stayed in the bed and we went somewhere else. This would be after they were about 6 mths old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting