U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:31 PM

422 posts, read 365,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Let's see. Both of my sons went to public school. I was a very young single Mom and their father is a sorry excuse for a human so I raised them alone. I worked full time and finshed my Bachelors and then my Masters while I raised them. They must be pretty crappy kids because of that right?

The oldest got his Masters and then was immediately recruited back to where he got his Undergrad to be the head coach of his old track team. He skips to work every day and loves every second. My youngest was hired before he even had his Bachelors in his hand and his company footed the bill for his soon to be completed Masters. I'll bet everything that they are more successful than you on a monetary scale.

More importantly, they are fantastic human beings. They work their tails off and always have. Why? Because it is what they saw when they grew up. They are kind to others because they know they are not better than others. They are not judgemental because you never know someones story. I would love to take a ton of credit for them but I also realize that every teacher they had, the diversity they experienced and the fact that the absolutely knew the world was not going to cater to them all helped build their character. Public school is not the devil....it can be a wonderful partner.

Well money is the measure of success for many people. As far as PS it depends on what you want for your kids. Apparently what you wanted for your kids was met by PS and I'm glad for you. This thread has gone off topic so you guys enjoy the view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Congrats You know these people's bio but you can't know how not having a parent around affected them in the long run. Just because someone has a title and a paycheck doesn't mean everything is as it should be.
Umm..they're my sons, I think I know how everything affected them. And I measure them much, much more on their smiles and their hearts than I do their paychecks.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 PM

16,922 posts, read 11,707,696 times
Quote:
Congrats You know these people's bio but you can't know how not having a parent around affected them in the long run. Just because someone has a title and a paycheck doesn't mean everything is as it should be.

OK...I've been trying to stay out of this...but if she came on and said all that was accomplished because she was a SAHM and homeschooler, something tells me you'd be agreeing. The fact is, none of us knows how our life or anyone else's would be if things were different. All we have is what we have. To sit in judgement of people whose kids are solid, contributing, happy and well adjusted because YOU'D do things differently is ridiculous.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:46 PM

11,952 posts, read 5,588,140 times
Quote:
What a terrible thing to insinuate. Arrogant much? Since you do not have children of your own, and really have nothing of any merit to add to the conversation, perhaps you'd like to check back with us when your perfect offspring are grown, and, well........perfect. I have absolutely no problem with anybody posting here, parent or not, but the personal insults, belittling, and arrogant jibes are tedious and a poor reflection on your character.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM

21,263 posts, read 11,800,588 times
Quote:
Okay, I honestly need you to show me where I think I am better than someone who doesn't homeschool ? I have an opinion yes but people will do whatever they want regardless of what a stranger says. I DO think many 2011 parents pawn their children off on Public school, nannies, daycare, and anyone else so that they can do things that they feel are more important than actually BEING WITH their children. It just seems weird to me. How can you do a job when you aren't there? It seems basic but when it comes to parenting people get prickly and don't seem to know what you mean. If I said I was an excellent nurse and then told you i was only at work 10% of the time you would think i was crazy. And no I don't mean people who are working to feed their kids. The average US family has 2 incomes to provide a bunch of extra material things that they could well do without if they wanted to. At least when their children are smaller and need their attention. And YES that is another opinion but you know what? the kids in my family didn't get molested or abused in day care when we were too small to even talk and tell. Guess why?
I've agreed with you on some things, but this is one big question mark to me. Are you planning on being with them 24/7? No private school? No nursery school? Just you and them and your computer and books?

I have to tell you: They are going to get sick of you and, yes, you will have days you are sick to death of them. Are you going to share duties with someone? Husband, neighbors, church friends? I simply cannot imagine not sending them off every once in a while. What about sports? Are you going to let them join teams with other home schoolers, because you'll have to trust the coaches. And it looks like you don't trust day care centers. ???

Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM

16,922 posts, read 11,707,696 times
And about daycare centers, I'm fairly certain many more children are molested by people they know and even family members, than are molested in daycare centers.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,630,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What a terrible thing to insinuate. Arrogant much? Since you do not have children of your own, and really have nothing of any merit to add to the conversation, perhaps you'd like to check back with us when your perfect offspring are grown, and, well........perfect. I have absolutely no problem with anybody posting here, parent or not, but the personal insults, belittling, and arrogant jibes are tedious and a poor reflection on your character.
I've run out of popcorn...so, I'd hate it (and I don't like that word) if my kids were perfect or expected to be so. What a horrible thing to place on a child; something that is completely unattainable & not even remotely healthy.

Every parent gets worn out. There is not a parent in this world who has not enjoyed an hour of peace after a day of all the things kids bring the moment their feet hit the ground in the morning.

As for unschooling, I know little to nothing about minus some very extreme parents in my area & since they are so extreme, I tend to stay out of it.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Umm..they're my sons, I think I know how everything affected them. And I measure them much, much more on their smiles and their hearts than I do their paychecks.
Wasn't talking to you. It's why I didn't quote you.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
OK...I've been trying to stay out of this...but if she came on and said all that was accomplished because she was a SAHM and homeschooler, something tells me you'd be agreeing. The fact is, none of us knows how our life or anyone else's would be if things were different. All we have is what we have. To sit in judgement of people whose kids are solid, contributing, happy and well adjusted because YOU'D do things differently is ridiculous.
Again, you need to read the post this was attached to. I was referring to the poster talking about her neighbors, not her own children.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You don't know who lives in my home because I don't discuss it with internet strangers. I haven't insulted anyone personally and of course an opinion has no merit when it's in the minority. I doubt very few parents would say "I made some bad choices and I can see where my kids are suffering because of it". I never said anything about anyone being perfect. HUGE assumptions based on frustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting