Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times

Advertisements

My friend as a 6 month old baby, I recently saw photos of the baby with its chest strap on the stomach and the baby was forward facing, It has been a while since my daughter was that age but I'm pretty sure the law is still one year and 20lbs until they can forward face. So my question is how do I tell my friend that she is endangering her child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Different states have different minimums.

Also, you talk about laws this, laws that, then you ask a totally unrelated question having nothing to do with the law. I mean, unless you actually believe that the only possible way a person can endanger their child is to break a law? But that's pretty preposterous. Or do you feel that obeying the law somehow guarantees the child's safety? Equally preposterous.

Do you care what the law is? Or do you care if the child is safe? Or, do you care about both? Because your question indicates a concern for the child, and not a concern for the law.

As I said though, it depends on the state. You can find a state-by-state breakdown here:

Child Restraint Laws

Notice several states don't specify which direction the seat has to be.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Yes the baby should be rear facing. If she were to get in an accident the baby is at an increased rick of internal decapitation due to under developed neck muscles. I would just flat out ask if she knows about the increased risks to her baby. Maybe she doesn't know. Here's another site link. Also the AAP has set the following guidelines.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Yes the baby should be rear facing. If she were to get in an accident the baby is at an increased rick of internal decapitation due to under developed neck muscles. I would just flat out ask if she knows about the increased risks to her baby. Maybe she doesn't know. Here's another site link. Also the AAP has set the following guidelines.

Right - but if the OP is concerned about the *law* then she's asking the wrong question. If her concern is with the actual safety of the child, then the law really didn't need to be brought up at all.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Do you have young children? If you do I would just bring up the conversation of car-seats and how different things are from when we were children.
An infant under the age of 1 or under 20lbs should be rear facing because of the extra support the car-seat provides for the neck. Even breaking hard can cause damage like shaking a baby would.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
An infant under the age of 1 or under 20lbs should be rear facing because of the extra support the car-seat provides for the neck. Even breaking hard can cause damage like shaking a baby would.
An infant over 1 year AND over 20 lbs....

Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Maybe they just had the seat turned so they could take photos.

You COULD mention it if you really feel the need, but unless your friends are cave dwellers they probably know what the rules are.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
An infant over 1 year AND over 20 lbs....
Yeah that is when they can be turned. I was saying when the must be rear facing. Any kid who is either under 20lbs or under a year.
NOT(A AND B)= A OR B

Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe they just had the seat turned so they could take photos.

You COULD mention it if you really feel the need, but unless your friends are cave dwellers they probably know what the rules are.

My friend is 16..... Shes new to the whole parenting thing.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yeah that is when they can be turned. I was saying when the must be rear facing. Any kid who is either under 20lbs or under a year.
NOT(A AND B)= A OR B
Actually, you are incorrect, it is not either, it is both. The baby should be over 20 lbs, and over one year old. For instance, two of my babies hit 20 lbs at ridiculously early ages, 4 and 6 months. They were hardly old enough to be facing forward at that age. Again, an infant needs to be at least 20 lbs. and over one year old before being turned forward facing.

Rear-Facing Carseats and Safety

A common question asked by parents is, "How soon can I turn my child to face forward?" The universally accepted response is to keep your child rear facing to AT LEAST one year of age AND 20 pounds in weight. In fact, it is preferable to keep your child rear-facing as long as possible, and that may mean up to 30 or 35 pounds for most convertible car seats. The American Academy of Pediatrics (http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm - broken link) and other Child Passenger Safety organizations endorse this philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting