Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I', not going to dignify a couple other comments with a response, but this one I will. I think you are right in SOME instances, but not in all spanking families. Some parents are quick with the hand because they have a low tolerance level. I think most spanking (not beating) parents aren't like that. I think they have a formula, tell you once, warn you again, time out, spank and time out if it happens again.

I said it was one of the reasons behind spanking. Not the only reason.

Last edited by KylieEve; 09-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:03 PM

556 posts, read 798,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just curious...you have decided you know the "minimum age" to start, so what have you determined is the MAXIMUM age you'd spank up to?
I'm going to go with death bed...mine not theirs . OR, when my hand will break if I smack them with it. What's that about 65-70 (me, not them)?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 PM

556 posts, read 798,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I said it was one of the reasons behind spanking. Not the only reason.

I wasn't being smart when I said I was dignifying your response. It was because your response was thought out and I do agree that some people spank because they have low impulse control. I said I wasn't dignifying others because they were the basic "if you spank you suck as a parent" comments

I like what you had to say

Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I'm going to go with death bed...mine not theirs . OR, when my hand will break if I smack them with it. What's that about 65-70 (me, not them)?
How about a serious answer?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
Quote:
Just curious...you have decided you know the "minimum age" to start, so what have you determined is the MAXIMUM age you'd spank up to?
I think we should use corporal punishment on adults.
Here is why
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog6...ment-jail.html

Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Another spanking thread. That just what we need.

Bottom line....

If you spank your kids they will probably turn out fine. If you don't spank you kids they will probably turn out fine. For every study done that says spanking is bad there is another that says it is good. For every study done that show non-spanking is bad there is another study to show that is good.

Here is an idea. Let everyone parent the way they need to parent. Either way 97% of the kids will turn out fine.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I think we should use corporal punishment on adults.
Here is why
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog6...ment-jail.html
So, you are saying you would spank your offspring as long as they live under your roof - even if they were young adults?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
Quote:
So, you are saying you would spank your offspring as long as they live under your roof - even if they were young adults?
Absolutely.
Lets consider an example.
Say a child swears at the parent. Calls mom a "Bi&ch" for example.
Then I would contend that the first thing is that irrespective of age then the child should be punished and in our house that kind of behaviour would result in thepaddle being used.
To me it does not matter what the age of the child. behave that way. get that punishment.
In fact if an adult child is living at home then they should know better.

I can understand, but not condone a teenager, getting frustrated and letting loose with their tongue like that. But an adult.?

So would I paddle my young adult child - Yes Absolutely.
Would I expect to have to do this - No. They should know the rules.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
I didn't spank ever but the day each of my sons turned 18 I punched them in the stomach. I couldn't go to jail anymore for it.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Absolutely.
Lets consider an example.
Say a child swears at the parent. Calls mom a "Bi&ch" for example.
Then I would contend that the first thing is that irrespective of age then the child should be punished and in our house that kind of behaviour would result in thepaddle being used.
To me it does not matter what the age of the child. behave that way. get that punishment.
In fact if an adult child is living at home then they should know better.

I can understand, but not condone a teenager, getting frustrated and letting loose with their tongue like that. But an adult.?

So would I paddle my young adult child - Yes Absolutely.
Would I expect to have to do this - No. They should know the rules.

sigh- there comes a point when a parent must resist the urge to parent and shift their role to that of a mentor.

Educated, civilized people do not hit others to teach lessons unless they are necessary to save a life.

Once a "child" is old enough to understand consequences and receive them responsibly there are better ways to handle misbehavior than spanking.

I would suggest that you reconsider your intentions toward future young adults in your home or risk losing relationships you value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting