Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 AM

556 posts, read 797,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Yeah, but c'mon. Didn't you know this debate was going rear its head?
Nah, really i didn't. I thought that if there was a debate it would be that X age was too young to spank, or X age was too old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Nah, really i didn't. I thought that if there was a debate it would be that X age was too young to spank, or X age was too old.
Ever consider a future filled with elder abuse? You'll be too weak to spank them.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Ever consider a future filled with elder abuse? You'll be too weak to spank them.
they need it i got a bunch of infractions.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Why did she have to TRY to get the phone? Did you refuse to give it to her?

What was the question? Was it something like "Mom, why are you such a C U next Tuesday?"?
We were in Tennessee on vacay at my gmas house. I asked if I could drive to starbucks so I could use my laptop. She was already pissed off and started flipping out at me, so I was like nvm ill go away now, 5 minutes later she came into the room I was in, screaming about how we were there visiting family not there for the internet. I explained everyone was busy and had left me by myself and I was just bored and just wanted 30 minutes but it was no big deal so nevermind. Not satisfied she continued yelling. I was sitting in a desk chair with my laptop in my lap when she hit me. When she hit me my laptop fell off my lap and into the floor and broke. I was you broke my laptop?!?! and she went for my phone, she was like GIVE ME THAT, I told her no and that I didn't want my phone broken as well because it was my last link to my friends. Commense the hitting. When she finally gave up I left the house and called the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I would say that if you spanked your son as a child and he grew into a young adult who called his mother a "bi&ch," that it means that the early spankings were not effective. They certainly were not effective if the intent was to teach the child self-control and to respect his parents.
Very very true.
Plus if someone at 20 is swearing at his/her mom or dad, do you really think that spanking them is going to fix the problem.....I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Me too....I still remember vivdly the time I stuck a key in an outlet when I was little! (might explain a few things...) And the time I stuck my finger in the cigarette lighter in my grandfather's car....talk about natural consequences!
I once stabbed some scissors through my finger at age 10, was I spanked? Nope, not before or after the ER trip. A little profuse bleeding, more like gushing and some stitches goes along way to not get spanked.
My mom and brothers dad were spankers. I hold a lot of resentment towards both of them for it. Spankings were done southern style, usually with a paddle and VERY HARD and multiple times. I never learned from them because I usually stormed off to my room afterward in tears and in pain HATING them for it and just being so pissed that I was hit I had forgotten all about what I had did.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
We were in Tennessee on vacay at my gmas house. I asked if I could drive to starbucks so I could use my laptop. She was already pissed off and started flipping out at me, so I was like nvm ill go away now, 5 minutes later she came into the room I was in, screaming about how we were there visiting family not there for the internet. I explained everyone was busy and had left me by myself and I was just bored and just wanted 30 minutes but it was no big deal so nevermind. Not satisfied she continued yelling. I was sitting in a desk chair with my laptop in my lap when she hit me. When she hit me my laptop fell off my lap and into the floor and broke. I was you broke my laptop?!?! and she went for my phone, she was like GIVE ME THAT, I told her no and that I didn't want my phone broken as well because it was my last link to my friends. Commense the hitting. When she finally gave up I left the house and called the cops.

Very very true.
Plus if someone at 20 is swearing at his/her mom or dad, do you really think that spanking them is going to fix the problem.....I think not.

I once stabbed some scissors through my finger at age 10, was I spanked? Nope, not before or after the ER trip. A little profuse bleeding, more like gushing and some stitches goes along way to not get spanked.
My mom and brothers dad were spankers. I hold a lot of resentment towards both of them for it. Spankings were done southern style, usually with a paddle and VERY HARD and multiple times. I never learned from them because I usually stormed off to my room afterward in tears and in pain HATING them for it and just being so pissed that I was hit I had forgotten all about what I had did.

txtqueen, you are on the wrong thread honey.

We all know you live in a very dysfunctional, abusive environment. We have all encouraged you to move out of that environment asap, especially now that you are 21 (happy belated birthday, btw!)

There are parents who spank who are not abusing their child, that was just not your experience.

I do agree with you though that after a certain point spanking is no longer the appropriate discipline or very effective in acheiving the desired results. In my experience spanking has outlived it's usefulness well before the teen years.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
txtqueen, you are on the wrong thread honey.

We all know you live in a very dysfunctional, abusive environment. We have all encouraged you to move out of that environment asap, especially now that you are 21 (happy belated birthday, btw!)

There are parents who spank who are not abusing their child, that was just not your experience.

I do agree with you though that after a certain point spanking is no longer the appropriate discipline or very effective in acheiving the desired results. In my experience spanking has outlived it's usefulness well before the teen years.
Yes, but even when I was actually spanked, it felt pointless after about age 5 or so.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM

I won't be a spanker but a pop on the hand and redirecting the attention is my plan.
NEVER a pop to the mouth or the face.

My theory is that if they are too young to understand they are doing bad why hit them?
And if they are old enough to be reasoned with, why hit them then either...

But if you must no earlier than 3 and no later than 6.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think there are times when a non verbal child can benefit from a swat if it is what you need to do to keep the pecking order established. Children want to please their parents, and most of the time ours were good. It only takes once or twice.
After that, my kids probably only got about 2 spankings each in grade school. It was only for a dangerous infraction, like riding their bike across the street without looking, or one time my son was standing on top of a well, and they can all remember what they did to get spanked, and did not repeat the behavior.
I am not talking spanking as a regular thing, but just one little tool in the arsenal.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't know if I respect my mom or not.
But I sure won't cross her too hard for fear of getting hit...even now at my age..

That's not right.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
I would occassionally give me children attention-getting swats b/w the ages of two and three. Before that they were too young to understand the difference b/w right and wrong. After that, they were old enough for me to move on to taking away privledges.

My oldest child was always very headstrong and probably got more swats than her easy-going younger sister.

Both children are very kind and compassionate and have never struck a playmate. I don't think the occassional swats hurt them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting