Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times

Advertisements

I hate these stories, far too many of them today. I can remember a man in Sacramento years back that had his baby in the car and he left it in the parking lot while at work. This one time he had to drop the kid off at daycare and he never did that, always his wife took the child. He just forgot the baby was in the back seat. He went to jail, I believe. Poor kids.
Recently a couple was arrested at Disneyland for leaving their 2 year old in the sun while they went on a ride. Some person noticed the baby turning beat red and not breathing and called for help. Can you believe this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:05 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsB23 View Post
I've also heard of a lot of people who'll leave their kids alone while they're sleeping to go do stuff (i.e. kids are in bed, so let's go clubbing). I can't even bring myself to do a quick food run while my son is asleep. Yeah, he'd probably be fine, but sh*t happens & I want to be there for him if it does.
As a single mother, I was paranoid to the point of never drinking too much at home even if I knew I wasn't going anywhere. What if one of the kids got sick, or there was a fire or some other emergency? I'd need to be 100% alert and aware, and I never felt comfortable taking the risk that I wouldn't be.

You're probably doing a much better job than you think you are. We all tend to be too self-critical, and you sound like a great mom!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
I think alot of people get to wrapped up in what 'they' are doing and forget the babies. If your listening to the radio, talking on your phone, you park, get out while still on the phone and walk off while finishing the conversation. I can see someone who is not usually the one to have the baby all the time leaving their kid.

MotleyCrew - I remember that incident in Sacramento, it was terribly sad.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
A *friend* of mine got fined heavily for the exact same thing. And by friend I mean tag-a-long friend that nobody wants.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:42 PM

113 posts, read 770,488 times
I can't understand either why parents can possibly treat their children like (or worse than) pets, and leave them in the car like that. Like the other posters here, I couldn't bear to leave my kids alone because anything can happen in just a couple of minutes.

I have a story of a woman I knew, who left her kids at home. She was starting a new job and her husband was running late to come home. So rather than wait for her husband to get back, she decided to leave the two kids home alone (ages 10 months and 3 years old). Well-- her husband DID NOT come back until hours later, and during that time, the 3 year old was smart enough to call 911 to report that they were alone and that her baby brother was crying because he was hungry! Both parents were arrested later, but released on the condition that the children be released to the grandparents' custody.

Now, this story hits really close to home for me. For one, I feel deeply sorry for those two kids because they are technically my son's first cousins. But since my son's father was a deadbeat who abandoned my son, we have no relations with that family. If you can imagine my horror that this woman is actually my son's aunt...

I feel as deeply sorry for this 3 month old who passed away. May she rest in peace...

Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
As a single mother, I was paranoid to the point of never drinking too much at home even if I knew I wasn't going anywhere. What if one of the kids got sick, or there was a fire or some other emergency? I'd need to be 100% alert and aware, and I never felt comfortable taking the risk that I wouldn't be.

You're probably doing a much better job than you think you are. We all tend to be too self-critical, and you sound like a great mom!
Thanks I do the same thing with the drinking at home...for that same reason! It really is a tough job & it's hard to remember that I'm human & will make mistakes. I love my son so much, I feel he deserves a mom that makes no mistakes! But, I suppose watching me learn likely helps him learn how to deal with mistakes & failures.

Last year we had a situation in Phx of a mom who left her kid in the car while she was at work. Just forget the baby was there & went up to work.
That's another one of those I just don't understand. I do get that we go on "auto-pilot" sometimes, but accidentally auto-piloting yourself to the wrong destination is way different than forgetting your kid.

It is painful to read these stories, & I have to hope that there is some kind of hope to be found in these situations...

I appreciate the input you guys have had on this subject...this is something that seems a no-brainer to me, but people keep doing it, so I was curious what other people thought about it...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Along those lines (kinda) I have another story to share. My son, 2 other children and I were at a public park watching some ppl play frisbee. Along come this little girl (4yrs old) Emily to play with us. At this point I have NO idea where her mother/father/family is nor does anyone seem too concerned. We play for 15-20 minutes and decide to cross the parking lot to play on the playground. Here comes Emily tagging along. We actually cross the parking lot, put some stuff in my car and walk further to the playground. Still no parent. I decide to return her to the park in case her parent is worried. This is a total of 25 minutes right? She crossed a football field to where her mother is PLAYING FRISBEE! Nice! We could have taken that child with us and she NEVER would have known that her kid was gone. What if I had been the local "Chester Molestor"? As a parent, it's the what-ifs that kill me. My child is always attended, even in my own house much less in a public park so HTH do ppl live like this? GGGRRRRR!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 607,644 times
?!?

That one boggles me. I get miffed at my BF if he's blocking my view of my son... I may be a teensy bit overprotective, but at least I don't put him (my son, not my BF) in a helmet & pads to go to day care...

I don't understand if people are just too trusting, or just stupid. I've never been in that situation, my son is only 17 months, & it's 115 here right now, so we're not doing the park/playground thing yet...But I would think that I'd be pretty stressed out if I had not seen my son in 25 minutes. I would hope that I'd be more cognizant of the passage of time & monitoring his movements...based on how I am at home, I think I would be...but I've never done it, so I can't be too judgmental...yet!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,453 times
I'm appalled, disgusted and outraged at this report every time I hear it has happened. As a parent I know the demands of everyday stresses and strife.However, my children are my number one priority and I could not overwork myself to the point of forgetting all of my babies. RIP to the innocent children that have been forgotten...we won't forget you.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:16 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I know this happens more from men than from women......and usually it is because the Mom is the one normally taking the kid somewhere and the Dad has to do it for whatever reason and gets his mind on something while driving and completely forgets.

This happened to a police officer in TX and he suffers great depression from it. It truly was a HUGE mistake. He forgot he was taking the baby to daycare that day.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting