U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,515,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
Thanks for your advice and suggestions, everyone. I wanted someone who had taken Child Development or Education classes anyway, and I never thought of looking for a college student. I think the problem will be finding one who's only taking classes at night!
I can totally emphatize with your feelings about daycare. The suggestion to find a college student who is interested in child development or education is a good one. I just recommend that whoever you hire, even if they come with glowing recommendations, you do a background check with their permission. When we were interviewing nannies, I even found recent DIUs on the ones who were graduate students in early ed. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:54 PM

169 posts, read 974,830 times
My I suggest Au Pair in America? It's sponsored by the state department and they interview the girls and screen them in their native countries. They come over on a J-1 visa for 1 year and can renew for the second year if you want them to. They have an ombudsman for the girls in your area and a liaison for the families if you need communication.

We've had two girls live with us (you must have a private bedroom for them but they can share a bath). The first lived with us for a year and was getting to know her American boyfriend better while she was here. About mid-way through her year with us she got engaged and took her two week vacation time as an early departure to get married. She's a lovely girl who was wonderful to our children (we have four girls but she really only watched the 3 young children) and she keeps in touch with our family.

She was a wonderful cook and although she was never a housekeeper, the program included her complete care of the children including their meals, laundry and general care. She came to live with us when the girls were just 6 months old. The second girl came a few months after the first one left and she's still here (we had to change her visa to allow her to stay).

The wonderful thing about the AIFS Au Pair program is that you get a full time live in nanny for your children for about $15,000 per year and the children get to know and love this girl. She's here in a country she is interested in getting to know but she can't just decide that she doesn't want to show up for work one day (although you should make sure you understand the boyfriend situation before they come over or you could be in for a surprise) Their time off is stipulated and the program is formally organized. You can set up your own arrangements with the girls but it's very important to give them time to make friends and go out a little as otherwise they will get very homesick and sad.

the AIFS web site link is here:Au Pair in America

I just can't say enough good things about this program. It's all legit, legal and reasonably priced. They even cover the girls health insurance while she's here.

The only draw backs are that some of the European girls tend to party a little, the Asian girls (our two anyway) could not drive (they drive British style in Thailand so it's hard to get the hang of it here and I didn't want her to drive the children anyway). Some girls lie and say their English is better than it really is.

You review their resume and then if you like them you talk to them over the phone. If you match and they come here and you don't like them, you can rematch and the program guarantees you an Au Pair for 12 months.

If you want to PM me about some of my interview and hiring suggestions I'll be glad to give them to you! The program really won't give you much in the way of details or what to expect until you pay the deposit, that sort of drove me crazy but I'll give you the details - write me and good luck. I think it's the best deal ever for the money!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:11 PM

896 posts, read 3,867,140 times
We went through an agency and it cost us a fee of $600 and the nanny's salary was negotiated directly with the nanny and not the agency. The did the screening, interviewed her, did background checks and called references. I was given this information and then chose to either call the nanny to set up an interview or to call references first. Although pricy, I felt that there really isn't a specific price to be set for someone watching my children and it was worth it for us. We enjoyed the process but it was time consuming and frustrating (took us about four months to find someone).

Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
I'm actually a high school teacher - I'm only working at this daycare for the summer because I worked part-time last school year (only teaching half days) and we took a hit financially. I'm not making tons of money but it helps and my husband is also a teacher so he's at home with our kids while I'm there. We figured out that we'll need a nanny for 45 hours/week, and I don't think that will be a lot more expensive than putting our baby in daycare and our 7-year-old in after-school care.
I actually wonder about the same thing money-wise. At least here in Brooklyn, daycare is at least 1000/per month less expensive then having a nanny! My son was with a nanny until he turned 3 and now he is in daycare and we are saving tons of money! I agree that a 13 month old is better off with the nanny. At this time, he still needs a lot of one on one attention. For me, 2 years is the earliest for daycare, but you should really think about finances. The nanny in Brooklyn costs between 400-500 a week MINIMUM for the amount of time you want her to be with your child.
How do you find a good one? Thru the word of mouth/newspaper/agency. Must make an intense background check with referalls and recommendations. Make sure you observe them for at least 3-5 days before leaving them together alone for too long and TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. If your gut is telling you she is not right for your child, no matter how nice she seems, don't hire her.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You should really stay home with your kid. Outsourcing something as intimate as parenting to a complete stranger who is willing to work for peanuts is unacceptable. If you cannot afford to stay home you certainly can not afford the pay for the care your kid deserves. You are going to have to provide the love and guidance yourself. Anything less and you are selling out your kids future.
I take great offense in your advice. You are entitled to your opinion and you do what is best for your family. To suggest that a working mother is selling out her kids future is propesterous.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 PM

36 posts, read 154,807 times
You could try sittercity.com also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting