U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM

73 posts, read 234,860 times

Advertisements

In my neighborhood, the public school open school around 9:00 AM, the private school begins at 8:00 AM. I don't know how the parent's of public school kids deal with this schedule. If they drop off kids around 9, then they get to their office no earlier than 9:30. That is one hour than other coworkers.

How do they do it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM

9,220 posts, read 18,502,497 times
Public school have to deal with many schools, & bus routes, My school distrct has 4 (30K kids) school starting times ES1 @ 740a ES2 @ 820a, MS @ 9a HS @ 830a Each bus does 2 or 3 routes, and many of our school are next to each other, so stagering the start time cut the traffic jams at the schools if they all started at same time. The Private school do not run buses so they are all parent dropoff/carpools. So they start early so the parent can do the drop offs.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM

43,012 posts, read 97,970,370 times
Where I live, public school systems provide bus service to the private schools. As a result, all schools start on similar schedules regardless of being public or private.

The start times are staggered by school grade level so the buses have time to pick students up for one school before heading out to pick students up for another school.

High school students start the earliest at 7am. Middle school students start at 8am. Elementary school students start at 9am.

There are many reasons younger students start later and high school students start earlier: 1) younger students need more sleep. 2) younger students aren't at the bus stop in the dark during the winter; 3) younger students aren't outside during the winter when it's colder in the early morning. 4) high school students obligations in the afternoons----courses at college, courses at tech schools, and work schedules. 5) older students need to be done with classes earlier in the day for afternoon sports and activities to be over before dinner time.

All of these factors change by region. Weather, education demands, population density, and social norms vary in many areas of the country.

How do parents manage with late elementary school start times? Some parents use the school's before and after school programs, dropping their children off at school before class starts. I preferred to drop my children off at their babysitter's house, who lived within walking distance to the school.

Either way, it comes down to paying money for someone to watch your children before school if you chose to work outside of the home and your job doesn't permit you to start later. Starting later isn't really desirable because you get out of work too late in the day.

Even though my employer offered flexible schedules, I preferred to drop my children off at the sitter's hosue in the morning so I could have more time with my children in the evenings.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Each bus does 2 or 3 routes, and many of our school are next to each other, so stagering the start time cut the traffic jams at the schools if they all started at same time.
It also saves school districts money because they can own less busses by staggering start times.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM

24,844 posts, read 32,103,904 times
Our public schools start at different times to accommodate buses. I don't think it is a public vs private thing. I've also never worked anywhere that starting at 9am was ok. It was always 8:00. If I go back to work, my kids will have to be in before and after school care. I will not have the luxury of a leisurely walk to the bus stop at 8:45 am.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM

9,220 posts, read 18,502,497 times
My sons Middle school starts at 9a I drop him at school round 750a on my way to work. His bus comes about 815a but he's the only Middle schooler/Kid at that stop and I dont want him standing alone there waiting for the bus.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've also never worked anywhere that starting at 9am was ok. It was always 8:00.
I always had the option of picking a start time anywhere between 7am and 10am. I wasn't limited to the normal 8 hour work day. I could work longer on some days and less on others. I could change my schedule for doctor's appointments, emergencies, or my family schedule. I also had the flexibility to leave early. Exempt employees aren't restricted to hourly work requirements like nonexempt employees. That's one of the few advantages of being an exempt employee.

I preferred to go into work early so I could be involved with my chidren more in the afternoons and evenings. Starting at 7am and being done at 3pm was perfect when the children were younger, but I switched to a 10am start time when my son started college because he would commute into downtown with me.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 AM

5,065 posts, read 14,528,007 times
It all depends on the town, as noted by others it's not always a private/public school issue. And in my town the public school system also provides bus service to the private school. We have one public elementary school that begins at 8:05, the other public elementary schools at 9:05. The middle school at 8:05; you get the idea, staggered times. I think 8:05 is too early for elementary schools, the reason the school superintendent came up with that silly idea was because that school was smaller than the others. It's all to save $$. When I used to work, my companies had 8:30 or 9:00 start times, so I can see the advantages of an earlier school day for working mothers, though.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM

2,105 posts, read 5,057,945 times
A lot of public school parents drop their kids at daycare in the AM (e.g., some open as early as 6 AM). The daycare feeds them breakfast and either shuttles them to school or (for some) the school bus picks up/drops off directly at daycare. Same deal after school.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM

20,419 posts, read 40,732,692 times
"Does public school always begin school later than the private school?"

Not here.
The school share buses, so the schedules are similar.
Senior high ~7; junior high ~8; elementary ~9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting