Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Car washes, walk for $$, dog wash, etc. seem good to me. But please, no teenage girls in bikini tops holding signs on the sidewalks to get drive in business. And yes, I saw this exact thing this summer. Got to wonder what the parents were thinking or if they even knew about it.

Maybe I am a prude but it was so Hooter like.
It really skeeves me out when it's a church youth group doing the bikini girl thing. I mean...really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
It really skeeves me out when it's a church youth group doing the bikini girl thing. I mean...really?
I did a car wash for cheerleading when I was in the 8th grade. I believe we wore bikinis. However I don't remember it being weird because the majority of people we got where mom's with little kids in mini vans, or elderly people. Plus the girls didn't do much of the washing. We where just 10 girls vs the zillion foot ball players, most of us where tiny and couldn't reach that high.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Talking about car washes, how much should one donate without looking cheap. I need my car washed and the next time I may stop at one.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,943 times
I'm certain my DD's school has the option to do a family donation instead. I think that's what we're doing this year rather than push products that aren't really that marketable to begin with. Also, we're all tightening our pursestrings.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Talking about car washes, how much should one donate without looking cheap. I need my car washed and the next time I may stop at one.

I usually pay what I would for a drive thru car wash $5 to $10.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
If I can I watch to see how good of a job they are doing before I go in. $10 is my normal, $15 if the do inside window & vac the car.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
So out of the $4-5 it costs per box, you get 85 cents? I'd rather give you the $5 and not get the cookies.
In Oklahoma the cookies are $4.00/box. Basically 1/4 of the cost goes to the girl/troop. That is better than some fundraisers do. But then again I am not against accepting a $5
Yes Lisol each Council is different, some doesn't give the girl any for cookie credit, only to the troop. It is really different from Council to Council.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Great idea. I am going today to learn more about Girl Scouts and I was dreading the whole selling thing. I have never been a good sales person and my dd because of her disability will not be able to sell anything.
Girl scouts does NOT require anyone to sell though the troop gets a good profit from both fall product and cookie sales. Your daughter would get the patch, btw, if you buy one box yourself (and gs cookies are just sooooooo good).

As for a disability not allowing a child to sell things, I wonder what disability would prevent going to a cookie booth (which means her troop would be selling and she would be there even if she did not say a word).

At any rate, you do not have to sell anything for girl scouts. You can just not sign the permission slip and not sell. She would not get the patch if you did that, but it's only one patch.

Dorothy

Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I have nothing againts the GS or BS getting some tax money to run some of there programs. Both do good work. But they DO get some money. And yes I have lots of spare time to look at IRS 990 Forms.
Girl scouts and boy scouts do not get tax money. They *may* get some money from United Way though. And they are tax exempt, non-profit organizations.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
GS Cookies are highly overrated. You can find cookies just as good or better for half the price.

As for people that harrass me to buy the crap their kids are selling for school, I simply say "no thanks" and if they keep pushing I say "what part of no didn't you understand?"

While you can find cookies for less, I don't think they are as good. Also, the markup has to do with the amount our gs troop gets and gs council gets. Believe me, we subsidize lots of girls who have no money into activities that are fantastic like camping and other trips.

My granddaughter's girl scout troop started camping out when they were in K though many troups wait until the kids are older. Our senior scout advisor got her gold award last year by teaching CPR to high school students at her high school.

Every girl in my daughter's troop and our sister troop managed to get small scholarships for college because they stayed in scouts in high school. At the older ages, the kids explored careers, interviewed women in careers and people who could tell them about the history of our town and state. They all got their gold leadership and some got their gold awards as well. (This is the gs equivalent of equal scouts).

Certainly, you don't have to buy, but I think that gs cookies are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting