U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,270,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Uh oh. Sounds like "oldest child perfectionist syndrome". Does it fit? Been there, done that (and my oldest is also a lefty). It does get better!

This statement is not valid in all cases. For example my brother is the oldest and is the complete opposite of perfectionist. My brother who is the middle child is the prefectionist. I am the youngest and am a perfectionist.

Last edited by KylieEve; 09-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM

9,444 posts, read 10,172,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
My seven year old used to get frustrated with homework when he was younger as well. I really think it is a normal stage almost every child goes through. He is becoming more patient and is now in second grade and doing an excellent job with his homework. I think it may be genetic though. My mom used to tell me to stop studying as I overdid it.
It may also be that he will grow up to be a perfectionist as they are always critical of their work. Basically I think your child is acting normal. Continue to praise him when he does his homework.
Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping he will inquire more patience with age. My husband says that he was never into academics and never liked doing homework, so who knows?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,270,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping he will inquire more patience with age. My husband says that he was never into academics and never liked doing homework, so who knows?

You're welcome. To me though the fact that he gets frustrated shows me that he cares about his homework. He seems like a bright boy to me.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I'd see if you can get him to problem-solve. If you can take time when you have it and he's not doing homework to help him figure out a better solution for next time, he will learn not only how to problem solve, but patience will be rewarded once he finds a solution.

For instance if he gets frustrated over cutting out something, ask him what he thinks he can do to be rid of the frustration. He can't be rid of the homework, but he sure can be rid of the frustration.

Maybe he can try different types of scissors to find one that works better with his paper. (adult scissors work so much better than kid scissors in my experience)

Maybe he can learn to fold it, crease it well both ways and then tear it. (something I used to do when I didn't have scissors handy)

Maybe he can use a paper cutter if you have one?

Once he finds a way that works for him, the frustration will go away and he will be done easier and faster.

As usual, the wisdom of Hypocore.
Thanks for all the tips!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM

2,913 posts, read 4,254,167 times
Quote:
As usual, the wisdom of Hypocore.
Thanks for all the tips!
Aww, thanks!

I've just found that empowering them to solve their own issues tends to help them grow in most ways.

My youngest two were both like what you are currently experiencing. After trying to get them to take a break or split it up I came to realize it was the frustration that was the problem and not the actual homework. Once we got that taken out of the equation, there was no more problems with homework. Much better! lol

PS. My son is a lefty too and had a terrible time cutting and it was the use of adult scissors that solved his issue.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,132,174 times
Good grief! Even that little bit sounds like too much for a kindergartner. Poor guy - I don't blame him. He's probably tired too, which doesn't help with the frustration. I don't have any tips for you other than to be patient with him and keep encouraging. It does sound like he might be a bit of a perfectionist like my son was/is. And, as a 16 year old, he can still get frustrated - just doesn't lay his head down and cry any longer .

It will get better. Keep in mind, Kindergarten is all new - new routine, school, doing homework....it's tiring!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Aww, thanks!

I've just found that empowering them to solve their own issues tends to help them grow in most ways.

My youngest two were both like what you are currently experiencing. After trying to get them to take a break or split it up I came to realize it was the frustration that was the problem and not the actual homework. Once we got that taken out of the equation, there was no more problems with homework. Much better! lol

PS. My son is a lefty too and had a terrible time cutting and it was the use of adult scissors that solved his issue.
I will definitely try your tips and adult scissors!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Good grief! Even that little bit sounds like too much for a kindergartner. Poor guy - I don't blame him. He's probably tired too, which doesn't help with the frustration. I don't have any tips for you other than to be patient with him and keep encouraging. It does sound like he might be a bit of a perfectionist like my son was/is. And, as a 16 year old, he can still get frustrated - just doesn't lay his head down and cry any longer .

It will get better. Keep in mind, Kindergarten is all new - new routine, school, doing homework....it's tiring!
Thanks for understanding! It's tiring for both of us. There is always something that parents have to do, some kind of projects, some papers to fill out, fundraisers...
Also, when I went to parent-teacher orientation, I felt pressured to volunteer. I don't have time to volunteer, and quite honestly, I don't know if it's a bad thing, I have no desire either.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,132,174 times
Quote:
I don't have time to volunteer, and quite honestly, I don't know if it's a bad thing, I have no desire either.
I wouldn't feel bad about that. Especially if you don't have time and it's something that's not for everyone.

I enjoyed it back in the day, BUT.... I never worked in a group with my son. I specifically asked not to. He tended to not be the best listener because I was mom.

I liked working with kids but would not do things like organize parties, etc. - not my thing. I'm not a terribly social person, so getting involved in that whole social group with other moms who volunteer was not up my alley. I just went in, worked with kids individually or in groups, and left.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I wouldn't feel bad about that. Especially if you don't have time and it's something that's not for everyone.

I enjoyed it back in the day, BUT.... I never worked in a group with my son. I specifically asked not to. He tended to not be the best listener because I was mom.

I liked working with kids but would not do things like organize parties, etc. - not my thing. I'm not a terribly social person, so getting involved in that whole social group with other moms who volunteer was not up my alley. I just went in, worked with kids individually or in groups, and left.

I think I would be more inclined to volunteer if I was a stay-at home mom...and I enjoy kids too...I guess I'm a little selfish about the time that I have off and not wanting to spend it around kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting