Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 11:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
First smart thing you've said you want some sites, here they are, though I seriously doubt you and some others will even bother to read them.Unless they're from the gov, or the cdc or the who, seems you're not open to absolute fact......Dr. Andrew Moulden (Interview): What You Were Never Told About Vaccines*|*KskDaily.com
Not THAT'S a reputable source. What a bunch of crap and what a scam artist.

Who is he? I bet he's all vaxed up and so are all of his family members.

Quote:
Wild polio caused the exact same brain damages as ALL other vaccines are.
So polio that isn't caused by a vax causes the same "brain damages as all other vaccines are."

Who is this guy?

Here's just as good of a link back at the one you provided:

Vaccines cause "microvascular strokes" that cause autism? : Respectful Insolence

Here's another one:

Quote:
Indeed, if you want to get an idea of just how bad Moulden is, consider this. John Best, of all people, after first being impressed with Moulden ultimately recognized that he was pushing nonsense. That's bad. Real bad. Astoundingly bad. Like Jenny McCarthy recognizing someone as a quack, only worse.
Re: Moulden wants $1,000s -- the true story starts to surface.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Really? You sure?

Ok. Then provide the links to your info.
HANS - Jury's Still Out on Vaccinations

Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Again your source is a blog. It contains so much misleading misinformation I hardly know where to start.

"In England, the incidence of polio had decreased by 82% before the polio vaccine was introduced in 1956."

Here are the actual numbers of polio cases in England from 1912 to 2000: PHI: Incidence Rates of Poliomyelitis in England . Note that there was always a variation in the incidence of polio. Some years were worse than others. There were 1960 total cases in 1954 and 6331 cases in 1955. By my math, that is a 323% increase. I cannot figure out where the "82% decrease" came from by looking at the actual numbers. After the vaccine was introduced, the number of cases steadily decreased. There have been no cases of polio in the UK since 1998. Thanks to the vaccine, polio has almost been eradicated from the entire world, with the possibility that that could happen in the next 2 or 3 years.

What about the risk of the vaccine itself? There are two polio vaccines. One contains inactivated virus, the other live attenuated (weakened) virus. The inactivated vaccine is given by injection; the attenuated is given by mouth. The vaccine used in the US is the inactivated vaccine. There is a risk of getting polio from the live virus vaccine, but not the inactivated one. The current polio vaccine recommendations are here: Polio immunization (vaccine): MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia .

One more thing about polio: post polio syndrome. There are survivors of polio who are still suffering its aftereffects: Post-polio syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

In England, diphtheria, pertussis and measles child mortality had declined 90% 'before' mass immunization for these diseases.

First of all, why lump mortalities for 3 diseases? And why ignore morbidity as well as mortality? How many children were hospitalized or had handicaps related to these diseases? How about subacute sclerosing panencephalitis from measles?

Here is some interesting info for diphtheria in England and Wales. http://www.sgm.ac.uk/pubs/micro_today/pdf/021007.pdf and here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...04307-0004.pdf .

It appears that "a vocal minority" of vaccine opponents was able to delay immunization in the UK, with the result that England had higher rates of infection with diphtheria than New York. Once vaccination started, there was a steady decline in cases and deaths.

How about pertussis? This one tells the story: Bordetella Pertussis (Whooping Cough) | Doctor | Patient UK and this one shows what happened when anti-vaccine movements occurred in Sweden, Japan, Australia, and Russia: CSI | Anti-Vaccination Fever: The Shot Hurt Around the World

Measles, anyone? UK story: Medical Research Council*-*Measles* . See the numbers here: HPA - Measles notifications and deaths in England and Wales, 1940-2008

"The measles vaccine was introduced in the US in 1963 and the UK in 1968. As the proportion of children vaccinated increased, notifications of measles gradually fell in the UK from half a million cases and 100 deaths each year to fewer than 100,000 cases and 13 deaths a year by the mid-1980s."

And what happens when immunization rates decrease: BBC NEWS | Health | Rise in measles 'very worrying' .and here: Measles and the importance of maintaining vaccination levels | Practice | Nursing Times.

Between 1871 and 1880, the incidence of smallpox escalated from 28 to 46 per 100,000.

Why is he talking about smallpox in the nineteenth century? Smallpox has been eradicated worldwide --- the most effective vaccine ever. A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: World Health Organization declares smallpox eradicated .

In the US, tuberculosis mortality declined 96% without the benefit of any vaccine.

TB can be treated with antibiotics, but the function of a vaccine is prevention, not treatment. This statement trivializes the severity of tuberculosis, and multi-drug resistant TB is now a serious problem. There is a vaccine, BCG, but it is most effective in children. New vaccines are in development now, and the potential impact worldwide is enormous.

In 1975, Germany stopped requiring pertussis (whooping cough) vaccination. Today, less than 10% of German children are vaccinated against pertussis. The number of cases of pertussis has steadily decreased even though far fewer children are receiving pertussis vaccine.

The facts about pertussis vaccination in Germany: BioMed Central | Full text | The Epidemiology of Pertussis in Germany: Past and Present

This is complicated by the fact that there were two Germanies for a while.

Germany does not "require" any vaccines. It does recommend them, however. See here: http://venice.cineca.org/documents/germany_ip.pdf .

And here: Eurosurveillance - View Article

"In July 2009, the German Standing Committee on Vaccination (STIKO) modified its recommendations for varicella and pertussis vaccination, based on newly available data on disease epidemiology, vaccine effectiveness (VE) and safety, and an evaluation of the feasibility of the recommended immunisation strategy. The recommendation for varicella vaccine now includes a routine two-dose schedule with the administration of the first dose at the age of 11 to 14 months and the second dose at the age of 15 to 23 months, with a minimum interval of four weeks between these doses. Furthermore, STIKO recommended adding a one-time pertussis booster to the adult vaccination schedule to expand the cocoon strategy in place since 2004. The recommendation of a booster vaccination with an acellular pertussis vaccine every 10 years for persons employed in the care of pre-school children and for healthcare personnel in paediatric, gynaecologic and obstetric health facilities was extended to persons employed in schools and in other institutions caring for older children, and to all healthcare personnel. These recommendations were based on available epidemiological data showing an increase in incidence from 7-10 cases per 100,000 inhabitants in 2002-2004 to over 30 by 2007. Moreover, the high burden of pertussis in infants at 94 hospitalised cases per 100,000 infants in 2007 suggested that the previous cocoon strategy was insufficient."

So German kids do get vaccinated against pertussis, and there is effort to increase vaccination rates in adults and adolescents.
I have posted before on the reasons for pertussis cases in vaccinated people. I will not repeat it here.

Vaccines do not cause SIDS. SIDS can be largely prevented by placing infants on their backs to sleep.

And vaccines have saved millions of lives, possibly even purehuman's --- whether s/he has been personally vaccinated or not.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 AM

54 posts, read 111,351 times
Default slightly devils advocate..

I started skimming after pg 8 so forgive me if this is reduntant:

When hubby and I were investigating Vaccines, this is one of the things that caused us to pause-
Common substances found in vaccines include:
  • Aluminum gels or salts of aluminum which are added as adjuvants to help the vaccine stimulate a better response to the vaccine. Adjuvants help promote an earlier, more potent response, and more persistent immune response to the vaccine.
  • Antibiotics which are added to some vaccines to prevent the growth of germs (bacteria) during production and storage of the vaccine.
  • Egg protein is found in influenza and yellow fever vaccines, which are prepared using chicken eggs. Ordinarily, persons who are able to eat eggs or egg products safely can receive these vaccines.
  • Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production.
  • Monosodium glutamate (MSG) and 2-phenoxy-ethanol which are used as stabilizers in a few vaccines to help the vaccine remain unchanged when the vaccine is exposed to heat, light, acidity, or humidity.
  • Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose to prevent contamination and growth of potentially harmful bacteria.
For children with a prior history of allergic reactions to any of these substances in vaccines, parents should consult their child’s healthcare provider before vaccination.
Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Additives in Vaccines Fact Sheet

American Journal of Diseases of Children and the American Journal of Epidemiology, reveal that the rubella strain was cultured from an aborted human fetus.(2,3) In addition, the growth medium for the three live viruses that are needed to produce the MMR vaccine is a buffered salt solution "supplemented with fetal bovine serum."

"1990 and 2004, the government paid out over $588 million in compensation, fees, and costs for 676 claims. Nearly $10 million were paid out for attorney fees."- mercury/autism link.

We prayed and decided to go ahead with the vaccines.
Sons 1 and 2 reacted to the MMR (seizures, sky-high fevers, labored breathing, vomiting and dehydration) bad enough that our pediatrician recommended we delay all vaccines in the future.

Ive read in previous posts claiming that theres no concern with a babys system being 'bombarded" with foreign chemicals, but my DR and the Drs at Darmouth medical center disagreed. They said to delay vaccines for my kids until they could build better immune systems.
(and as a side note, anyone with auto-immune disorders need to be cautious as well)
Ultimately, when we began the vaccine cycles at 6 months, they did more frequent but smaller doses.

We chose to vaccinate and all 7 of my kids (and my boosters!)are up to date (excluding flu and pox) but..I wanted to show you where some unvaxing parents are coming from. The past 2 generations have not seen the devistating effects of outbreaks such as polio. Such a thing can seem a bit "cant happen to me."

Blaming the Jenny McCarthy parents seems a bit much. There are parents who start the series for their child only to have an ADULT infect them.
How many adults know they need boosters? How many would take the time to get it even if they knew?
How many visitors to our country show proof that their immunizations are up to date?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeajustme View Post

When hubby and I were investigating Vaccines, this is one of the things that caused us to pause-

• Aluminum gels or salts of aluminum which are added as adjuvants to help the vaccine stimulate a better response to the vaccine. Adjuvants help promote an earlier, more potent response, and more persistent immune response to the vaccine.
  • Antibiotics which are added to some vaccines to prevent the growth of germs (bacteria) during production and storage of the vaccine.
  • Egg protein is found in influenza and yellow fever vaccines, which are prepared using chicken eggs. Ordinarily, persons who are able to eat eggs or egg products safely can receive these vaccines.
  • Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production.
  • Monosodium glutamate (MSG) and 2-phenoxy-ethanol which are used as stabilizers in a few vaccines to help the vaccine remain unchanged when the vaccine is exposed to heat, light, acidity, or humidity.
  • Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose to prevent contamination and growth of potentially harmful bacteria.
For children with a prior history of allergic reactions to any of these substances in vaccines, parents should consult their child’s healthcare provider before vaccination.
Yet that doesn't describe most children. The substances in question are harmless in such small quantities.

Quote:
American Journal of Diseases of Children and the American Journal of Epidemiology, reveal that the rubella strain was cultured from an aborted human fetus.(2,3) In addition, the growth medium for the three live viruses that are needed to produce the MMR vaccine is a buffered salt solution "supplemented with fetal bovine serum."
Yet even the Catholic church approves of vaccination.

Quote:
"1990 and 2004, the government paid out over $588 million in compensation, fees, and costs for 676 claims. Nearly $10 million were paid out for attorney fees."- mercury/autism link.
No one's claiming that vaccination is risk free. Yet there's no evidence that children who suffer from vaccine reaction wouldn't suffer should vaccination programs come to an end and vaccine preventable diseases come back.

Quote:
We prayed and decided to go ahead with the vaccines.
Sons 1 and 2 reacted to the MMR (seizures, sky-high fevers, labored breathing, vomiting and dehydration) bad enough that our pediatrician recommended we delay all vaccines in the future.
All the more reason to advocate vaccination for other children to protect them.

Quote:
Ive read in previous posts claiming that theres no concern with a babys system being 'bombarded" with foreign chemicals, but my DR and the Drs at Darmouth medical center disagreed. They said to delay vaccines for my kids until they could build better immune systems.
(and as a side note, anyone with auto-immune disorders need to be cautious as well)
Ultimately, when we began the vaccine cycles at 6 months, they did more frequent but smaller doses.
I'm sorry someone told you that but that still doesn't make it true. Vaccines are composed of antigens. All babies and children get "bombarded" with antigens every single day of the year. Delaying does not reduce reactions. All it does is increase the chances a baby will get sick from a vaccine preventable disease.

Quote:
We chose to vaccinate and all 7 of my kids (and my boosters!)are up to date (excluding flu and pox) but..I wanted to show you where some unvaxing parents are coming from. The past 2 generations have not seen the devistating effects of outbreaks such as polio. Such a thing can seem a bit "cant happen to me."
The problem is that such concerns are unfortunately ill thought out and not grounded in fact.

Quote:
Blaming the Jenny McCarthy parents seems a bit much. There are parents who start the series for their child only to have an ADULT infect them.
How many adults know they need boosters? How many would take the time to get it even if they knew?
How many visitors to our country show proof that their immunizations are up to date?
Non-vaccination of healthy children is a socially irresponsible act. Whether adults should get boosters is entirely separate issue than if a parent decides against public health measures for their child based on bad second hand information.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeajustme View Post

<snip>

Last things first, I believe there are no immunizations required to enter the country. (I did a search and couldn't find anything.)

Next up, I'd be wary of that figure about mercury/autism.

Finally, there is no thimerosol in any routine childhood vaccines.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Last things first, I believe there are no immunizations required to enter the country. (I did a search and couldn't find anything.)

Next up, I'd be wary of that figure about mercury/autism.

Finally, there is no thimerosol in any routine childhood vaccines.
The flu shot still has it. You have to request a shot with out it. We no longer vaccinate. It's a personal decision, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks of our decision. No matter what there are new neurological disorders that are becoming more and more common with every generation of vaccinations we give. There may not be a direct link between vaccinations and these disorders, but I feel that the changed antibodies passed down from mother to baby due to the mother being vaccinated may have something to do with it, and we've decided to put an end to that cycle.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The flu shot still has it. You have to request a shot with out it. We no longer vaccinate. It's a personal decision, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks of our decision. No matter what there are new neurological disorders that are becoming more and more common with every generation of vaccinations we give. There may not be a direct link between vaccinations and these disorders, but I feel that the changed antibodies passed down from mother to baby due to the mother being vaccinated may have something to do with it, and we've decided to put an end to that cycle.
The multi-dose vials of flu vaccine have thimerosol. The office where I work carries the thimerosol free for several reasons:

1. Parent demand

2. The thimerosol-free vaccine comes in pre-filled syringes which is a huge time saver when you are running a 500 person clinic.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,444 times
Oh, please!! The largest group fighting vaccinations are the Christian fundies because God knows everything out there in the big evil world is out to get them and "forcing" their kids to get vaccinated is just another government plot to take over their lives. I am not kidding, by the way.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Yeah and there are also old neurological disorders that no one has anymore. No women have hysteria or refrigerator mother syndrome anyone more. No one has minimal brain damage or gets hospitalized for homosexuality either.

Vaccinations have nothing to do with any of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting