Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't always stay out till 4am.

Living there is actually closer to my school than living where I do now. Where they live is pretty much right across from my school and as for work you all said I had a bike...and if I am not paying utilities/cable/rent and my mom is paying for my cell phone till November, I can easily go get a loan making over 1,000 a month and be able to make my car payment with a weeks work and my insurance is low now that I am 21 and have never even been pulled over and live in a safe part of town.

I'll let you all know how this goes.

No txt dear after taxes it will be about 600 a month you will be making. And they might deduct for living expenses in their house on top of it...And chances are you will be working more then 8 hours a day....So legally speaking they shouldn't really be paying you that. Yes i know they say only 5 hours a day but you know what they say about something that is too good to be true don't you? Making that little i am not sure they would allow you to get a loan actually. Maybe with a second job....but the credit market is tight now so i am not sure. Speaking as someone who has worked low paying jobs in her life. The lower the paying job....the more work the boss expects you to do. You could get a job waiting tables....and earn 500-700 in a week doing about 20 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Not to mention - why have a live in nanny if all that's needed is 5 hours a day on week days?

Something just seems odd.

Is this real or are you messing with us because things were getting boring around here? I know you can't get enough of us, but still....

Yeah it seems odd too....like almost once she is there the hours will magically increase.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
It isn't likely she'd qualify for a loan, unless it's from an unscrupulous lender that charges high interest and balloon payments and enormous downpayments.

If she gets a responsible adult to cosign on her behalf she might have a chance, if THEY have good credit. Some day she'll grow up and learn about all the little details in life. Such as - you have to have had your job for at least 6 months before a lender will consider your income valid. A part time job with no proof of financial responsibility doesn't qualify anyone for a loan, last time I heard.

Of course, last time I heard her grandmother was going to buy her car for her so I'm not sure why she even needs a car loan. She won't be getting any other kind of loan, because you have to have collateral on any other kind of loan. And all she has for collateral are used clothes, some handcuffs, and an Explorers manual

Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Honestly, I'm horrified for the family that hires you as a live-in.

You don't have your priorities straight enough to live in another family's house.

They will expect you to keep your living quarters clean----just like your mother expects.

This truly could be a disaster waiting to happen. You are not a very submissive person.

This isn't the type of job where you can expect to argue fairness. You will have to live by their rules.
Now Hopes, you have to stop this. That's TWICE in a month that I totally agree with you.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
You could get a job waiting tables....and earn 500-700 in a week doing about 20 hours.
Although your pay estimate is probably high for someone without experience, this is really excellent advice.

A waitress job is the perfect job for a college student, and it pays much better than working in retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Now Hopes, you have to stop this. That's TWICE in a month that I totally agree with you.
OMG! You're right! We need to put a stop to this! The balance of nature depends on us!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Although your pay estimate is probably high for someone without experience, this is really excellent advice.

A waitress job is the perfect job for a college student, and it pays much better than working in retail.

Not really actually 500 would be the low end, which is what she would make, but thats typical even at a basic family place. But yeah certainly for a college girl this is the best kind of job, plus it fits with her night owl syndrome.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:

OMG! You're right! We need to put a stop to this! The balance of nature depends on us!
Also, if you can't serve for some reason. Commissioned retail is excellent. When I worked at a certain store I made 20% of my sales in addition to minimum wage. One day I had a $1000 sale! You can really make a killing.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Let's face it. Txtqueen just started her first job at BB&B at the age of 20. She should probably stay put for a while so she can show prospective employers a work history.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Let's face it. Txtqueen just started her first job at BB&B at the age of 20. She should probably stay put for a while so she can show prospective employers a work history.
What is bb&b?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
What is bb&b?
Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think that's where she works. Regardless of which type of retail store, she started her first job ever just a few months ago fairly close to turning 21.

Prospective employers are going to take issue with her not starting work until she was almost 21 and then leaving the job a few months after for another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting