Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:28 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,559 times

Advertisements

My FIL recently got diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
He's taking medication for it so he has his good and bad days.

Anyone here dealing or dealt with this before with before?

Right now he'll have days where he's upset because we don't return calls he never made to us.
We've gone out to eat and the next day he won't remember.

We're trying to be understanding on all this knowing it is not his fault but that can only go for so long.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:36 PM

139 posts, read 25,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
My FIL recently got diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

We're trying to be understanding on all this knowing it is not his fault but that can only go for so long.

Suggestions?
I am so sorry your FIL has this condition. I'm concerned though that you say your family's understanding "can only go on for so long."

My understanding of this disease is that it always progresses in a bad direction. Medication may help manage it, but I hope your family can learn more about what to expect long term from solid resources such as a family doctor or other professionals that are involved in his care.

My best wishes to you and your family.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,559 times
Yeah, I misspoke.
I didn't mean for it to sound like it did.

But he is arguing with my wife and upset with me because I never returned a phone call he never placed. Again, I know he is not at fault here.

So what do you do, just stay quiet?

Never been in this before so I really don't know how to proceed.
I"m sure that he is just as confused as well all are.

To boot we also have 2 kids (4&5) that already notice papa is not the same.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
I too am so sorry you're going through this. I've been down this road, and it's not a good one. My mom started out w/ dimentia and progressed to alzheimers. Before getting the proper meds, she got downright nasty. My poor dad got accused of so much. When I'd visit, she think I was taking sides w/ dad and start yelling and start saying we were talking about her behind her back. She became more and more angry and delusional. The doctor finally put her on Ristedal. It's an anti-psycotic med. and does have many side effects. She actually stole the car keys and took off in a rage. The police found her driving the opposite direction down a main road. She's now stable on the Ristedal, but unfortunately she got to the point where dad couldn't take care of her daily hygiene and she's in a nursing home. Although she's now as sweet as can be, she is confined to a wheel chair. She doesn't even know me now and that hurts. I feel like I've already lost my mom to this dreadful disease and I'll lose her again when she passes away.

Sorry for this post, but these are the facts to what you may be facing. Now is the time to pull your family together. My brother pulled away from it all and that makes it even harder on my dad. You family is going to need eachother to get through this.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM

139 posts, read 25,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Although she's now as sweet as can be, she is confined to a wheel chair. She doesn't even know me now and that hurts. I feel like I've already lost my mom to this dreadful disease and I'll lose her again when she passes away.

Sorry for this post, but these are the facts to what you may be facing. Now is the time to pull your family together. My brother pulled away from it all and that makes it even harder on my dad. You family is going to need eachother to get through this.
I am so sorry for your family. How difficult it is when a loved one get this horrible disease. Hugggggs to both the OP and you, Kahskye.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmom33 View Post
I am so sorry for your family. How difficult it is when a loved one get this horrible disease. Hugggggs to both the OP and you, Kahskye.
Thanks cgmom, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. At least mom still knows my dad. What's even sadder is so many elderly left in the home w/ no one visiting. It kills me that I don't live close to mom. I'd be going everyday if I could.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm so sorry to hear everyone's struggles. I fear I might be heading towards having Alzheimer's when I'm older. I already have memory loss in my mid-40s. It's a frightening thought.

My sister went through this with her FIL. Out of everyone in the family, she handled his condition the best, probably because she was an inlaw, not a blood relative with lifelong attachments.

Whenever he thought she was someone else, she would pretend she was the person he thought she was.

She said it was very touching to hear how much he loved the person he thought she was.

There was also interesting insight into his life in the past---because he was literally in the past.

He'd think she was someone who had passed away years ago, talking about going for a walk in a park like he lived in another city, saying it was beautiful sunny day when it was raining.

She didn't want to take that away from him so she would always go along with whatever he said and played the part. He often thought she was different people.

Other family members would try to correct him when he thought they were different people and that would just get him frustrated and angry.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Thanks cgmom, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. At least mom still knows my dad. What's even sadder is so many elderly left in the home w/ no one visiting. It kills me that I don't live close to mom. I'd be going everyday if I could.
(((((kahskye))))) I'm sorry you're going through this. I wish I could help. You're in my thoughts.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-18-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
I would recommend you contact your local Alzheimer's Association chapter. Go to alz.org to find it if it is not in your phone book or contact your local Area Agency on Aging for it and other resources in your area. They can give you a lot of useful info and have support groups you may find helpful. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
(((((kahskye))))) I'm sorry you're going through this. I wish I could help. You're in my thoughts.
You're so sweet. Unfortunately, no one can help. I feel the most for my dad. She was his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting