Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 AM

730 posts, read 2,248,294 times

Advertisements

I remarried a couple of years ago. I have a 12 & 9 year old from my previous marriage & now our 2 month old daughter. Our new baby is my MIL's 1st grandbaby. I realize she is excited & that she loves her, but her visit this weekend made me want to shoot myself & forced me to tell my husband that we are NEVER having another baby simply because I cannot stand the way his mother is acting. THIS was my weekend........
I knew she would take pictures,but she snapped away at ALL of us-looking or not, without notice. She took some of me straight out of bed without a bra & then put them in a damn slide show for family!She took an ENTIRE roll of film of the baby in her car seat.
She ASKED if we could take DD on a walk,then complained she was too hot because I over dressed her. I turned around & she was dragging the stroller by the front cupholders- I ask her what she was doing and she replied "blocking the sun, it was in her eyes since you made us walk in this direction-poor thing".My daughter has seen the sun before- and she lived.

When we went somewhere-my daughter was perfectly content but my MIL felt the need to shake 3 (yes 3) rattles- including one hanging from her mouth- in my baby's face until she started crying.Then when baby got scared & cried she shook them harder. I gently said "Sometimes we just have to let her cry a bit in the car" and she told my daughter "why would mommy want to make you cry?" My husband later told me he was going to cut the damn rattles out of every toy we had =).
It was NOTHING but baby talk for 3 days & noise just for the sake of making noise. Even when baby was happy she would make a clicking noise for half an hour at a time.
She constantly told my DD at a volume I could hear "Mommy needs to give your cereal or you are going to get scrawny, I gave your daddy cereal at 2 weeks". I interupted & nicely told her that yes people give babies cereal but that does not mean she NEEDS any. She is doing great- it it's not broke why fix it. My normally content daughter screamed when she held her & she would tell me "she could handle it & that something just was'nt right with her-wait till MiMi takes you away to my house".
Even at resturaunts she would hover over our sleeping child, talk loudly & even poke her so she would wake up.The morning she left baby was still sound asleep she coughed loud fake coughs until the baby flinched & the she said "she's awake" & grabbed her!! Also I got 1000 "dear, your doing it wrongs"
How the hell do I deal with this???Is she trying to make me hate her? My husband apolgized profusely after she left. I want to love her for him-but the thought of her visiting again makes me sick.If there is anything I am confident with- it is my parenting skills. I have raised more babies than she has & she would not do this to others- why to me?

I am trying to keep in mind that I will be a MIL someday, but at the same time this all makes my skin crawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,846,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I remarried a couple of years ago. I have a 12 & 9 year old from my previous marriage & now our 2 month old daughter. Our new baby is my MIL's 1st grandbaby. I realize she is excited & that she loves her, but her visit this weekend made me want to shoot myself & forced me to tell my husband that we are NEVER having another baby simply because I cannot stand the way his mother is acting. THIS was my weekend........
I knew she would take pictures,but she snapped away at ALL of us-looking or not, without notice. She took some of me straight out of bed without a bra & then put them in a damn slide show for family!She took an ENTIRE roll of film of the baby in her car seat.
She ASKED if we could take DD on a walk,then complained she was too hot because I over dressed her. I turned around & she was dragging the stroller by the front cupholders- I ask her what she was doing and she replied "blocking the sun, it was in her eyes since you made us walk in this direction-poor thing".My daughter has seen the sun before- and she lived.

When we went somewhere-my daughter was perfectly content but my MIL felt the need to shake 3 (yes 3) rattles- including one hanging from her mouth- in my baby's face until she started crying.Then when baby got scared & cried she shook them harder. I gently said "Sometimes we just have to let her cry a bit in the car" and she told my daughter "why would mommy want to make you cry?" My husband later told me he was going to cut the damn rattles out of every toy we had =).
It was NOTHING but baby talk for 3 days & noise just for the sake of making noise. Even when baby was happy she would make a clicking noise for half an hour at a time.
She constantly told my DD at a volume I could hear "Mommy needs to give your cereal or you are going to get scrawny, I gave your daddy cereal at 2 weeks". I interupted & nicely told her that yes people give babies cereal but that does not mean she NEEDS any. She is doing great- it it's not broke why fix it. My normally content daughter screamed when she held her & she would tell me "she could handle it & that something just was'nt right with her-wait till MiMi takes you away to my house".
Even at resturaunts she would hover over our sleeping child, talk loudly & even poke her so she would wake up.The morning she left baby was still sound asleep she coughed loud fake coughs until the baby flinched & the she said "she's awake" & grabbed her!! Also I got 1000 "dear, your doing it wrongs"
How the hell do I deal with this???Is she trying to make me hate her? My husband apolgized profusely after she left. I want to love her for him-but the thought of her visiting again makes me sick.If there is anything I am confident with- it is my parenting skills. I have raised more babies than she has & she would not do this to others- why to me?

I am trying to keep in mind that I will be a MIL someday, but at the same time this all makes my skin crawl.

*grins* Mother-in-Law HELL » Mother-in-Law Advice and Mother-in-Law Stories

Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:

*hands you a gun* lol you poor woman i would have had a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,655,651 times
Quote:

You have to tell her what you expect from her, or she'll never figure it out. My ex MIL was like that, and I finally just said "You raised your kids your way, I'll raise mine my way."

I also had to put my foot down about baby talk, which I believe is detrimental to a child's verbal development, and I had to forbid her to feed my babies anything because she was of the opinion that solid food needed to start too soon, too. Make certain your husband is on board with backing you up, don't just assume he will. Tell him that you expect him to stand by you in this and to be vocal with you on the subject.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,969,376 times
Your mil definitly has issues. Definitly set boundaries with her. Maybe you could take a brake from her for awhile. Limit your time around her. When she starts to push your bounderies you have set up, then it`s time to leave.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM

I could handle SOME babytalk. But this is CONSTANT & about all that "ails" my daughter, when in fact all that is ailing her is the crazy woman speaking loudly & nonstop into her face. She is content when she is not overstimulated. Or it is talk of her mommy doing everything wrong. She even speaks to DH & I in baby talk if the baby is present.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM

c1723- She lives 5 hours away- so I don't have to see her often but when I do it is 24/7 for days at a time. It makes us dread her visiting & us having to visit her.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You have to tell her what you expect from her, or she'll never figure it out. My ex MIL was like that, and I finally just said "You raised your kids your way, I'll raise mine my way."

I also had to put my foot down about baby talk, which I believe is detrimental to a child's verbal development, and I had to forbid her to feed my babies anything because she was of the opinion that solid food needed to start too soon, too. Make certain your husband is on board with backing you up, don't just assume he will. Tell him that you expect him to stand by you in this and to be vocal with you on the subject.

I never did the baby talk myself.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,655,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I never did the baby talk myself.
Neither did I, and neither of my kids ever had trouble speaking clearly enough that non-family could easily understand them.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
c1723- She lives 5 hours away- so I don't have to see her often but when I do it is 24/7 for days at a time. It makes us dread her visiting & us having to visit her.
Well have a friend ring your cell and claim it's a emergency .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting