Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's bull. Parents shouldn't have to help at school. We pay taxes for our children to receive an education.

You're darn lucky that Momma Bear is gracious enough to send money and additional supplies. She doesn't have to do anything. Not legally, nor morally.
not legally, no, but morally, that's debatable. I do agree that not everyone needs to be involved in the PTO. there are other ways to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
not legally, no, but morally, that's debatable. I do agree that not everyone needs to be involved in the PTO. there are other ways to help.
This is public education, not private schools. If there's not enough money, raise the school taxes.

Not everyone lives in an area with such a pathetic school system where teachers aren't paid well and parents need to send in tissues and volunteer to run the copy machines.

Teachers in my area make six figures within 10 years of employment. I have never once been asked to send in supplies or work in a media room or library, etc.

The only time I needed to do those things was when I sent one of my children to private school.

In our public schools, all we do are parties here. If someone only wants to send money for party supplies, that's abolutely fine.

Out of 20 students, there's always enough mother's who WANT to throw parties. Afterall, it only takes a couple of mothers to throw a party.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-21-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is public education, not private schools. If there's not enough money, raise the school taxes.

Not everyone lives in an area with such a pathetic school system where teachers aren't paid well and parents need to send in tissues and supplies and volunteer to run the copy machines.

Teachers in my area make six figures within 10 years of employment. I have never once been asked to send in supplies or work in a media room or library, etc.

The only time I needed to do those things was when I sent one of my children to private school.

In our public schools, all we do are parties here. If someone only wants to send money for party supplies, that's abolutely fine.
LOL! the voters rejected the last 2 proposals to raise taxes for schools. Probably the same parents who think it's not their job to help out at school. BTW, I live in Douglas County, CO, one of the wealthiest counties in the country.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
You said you would support from a distance. I say poppycock. Not good enough.
Yes, when referring to the PTO. I do many other things to support the school. I volunteer for band, I help on field trips, I help with the sports teams (wrestling, football and lacrosse).

As far as PTO-the reason the same 5 people do everything is that nobody else wants to deal with those 5 people so support will come from a distance.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
LOL! the voters rejected the last 2 proposals to raise taxes for schools. Probably the same parents who think it's not their job to help out at school. BTW, I live in Douglas County, CO, one of the wealthiest counties in the country.
That's a disappointment that the voters don't care about your education system.

I never implied that you lived in an impoverished area. There can be pathetic school systems in the wealthiest areas if the state's education system sucks.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
It isn't our JOB to help out at the schools. More parents would opt to help out if it wasn't so forced upon these days. But saying it is the JOB of parents to help their childs school is the case... parents help by paying taxes (high ones if that) and making sure they give their child(ren) the best home life they can so they can succeed in school.

Last edited by NEOhioBound; 09-21-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
It isn't a JOB to help out at the schools. More parents would opt to help out if it wasn't so forced upon these days. But saying it is the JOB of parents to help their childs school is the case... parents help by paying taxes (high ones if that) and making sure they give their child(ren) the best home life they can so they can succeed in school.
OK, maybe JOB isn't the best word for it, and no one parent should feel like they have to volunteer for the PTO AND in the Library AND in the classroom AND as a coach AND with Scouts AND at church... but they also shouldn't be the other extreme and think that they shouldn't have to do anything at all.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
They SHOULDN'T have to do anything, if they don't want to. That is their right, whether any other parents like it or not.

I am not saying I WONT ever volunteer, I haven't even really thought of it yet since I haven't crossed thar bridge yet, but I know I will be a cold day in he-double hockey sticks, when a school or a group of other parents make me feel like my time is OWED to them

Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
I do Girl Scouts, my daughter is also in marching band this year so I have to go to the football games and when the band booster President needs help she calls me occasionally for that, Julie is also in Tae Kwon Do. I offered to help at the snack bar last month when we had a tournament IN TRADE for this month's fee's. Otherwise if I am paying for it, I am not helping. I sold hot dogs, drinks, and chips. That I can handle and since they were shorthanded and I could get out of paying a month's fees I felt like I was doing ok by it.
Since my older daughter lives with her father I don't have any control over what activities she is in. She isn't allowed to do ANYTHING. It is her choice since she chooses to live with her father.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
They SHOULDN'T have to do anything, if they don't want to. That is their right, whether any other parents like it or not.

I am not saying I WONT ever volunteer, I haven't even really thought of it yet since I haven't crossed thar bridge yet, but I know I will be a cold day in he-double hockey sticks, when a school or a group of other parents make me feel like my time is OWED to them
You will come to a crossroads where you will need to decide between volunteering and your child participating.

Private community run organizations are not obligated to take the public.

Many teams are starting to require volunteering at some level or the children are not permitted to join.

They are requiring it because it's necessary to run the organization. They're not on a power trip.

It's part of their bylaws. It's legal. It's becoming more common.

You can stand your ground and keep your child from participating in something your child wants to do but that won't be very nice for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting