Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,809,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I found it very strange also. I wonder what the producer and director were thinking? She shouldn't have had on a strapless dress. It was inappropriate for the show. She should have worn something neutral like all the other guest stars do. Why couldn't she have worn a regular dress or pants/shirt?
Well, actually, she was NOT wearing a strapless dress. It was like a skating costume and had flesh netting all the way up to her neck.

Look closely at the photo. There is a silver border around the neck and arms. The middle is netting.

Google Image Result for http://media.masslive.com/entertainment/photo/katy-perry-sesame-street-b9f1cf052e9ac036_large.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,442,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Its no wonder why some people have a problem with breastfeeding in public.
I know I don't have a problem w/breastfeeding in public. However, I also know there's an appropriate way to dress around small children --- in this case, pre-school aged children. What would you do if you were to drop your child off at day-care or pre-school and the teacher was dressed like that because they were going to play "dress up"??? I'm sure you would find it very strange and you would question it.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, actually, she was NOT wearing a strapless dress. It was like a skating costume and had flesh netting all the way up to her neck.

Look closely at the photo. There is a silver border around the neck and arms. The middle is netting.

Google Image Result for http://media.masslive.com/entertainment/photo/katy-perry-sesame-street-b9f1cf052e9ac036_large.jpg

My mistake. After you mentioned it, I realized she did have some kind of straps on the dress. Either way, it wasn't an appropriate costume to wear around young children.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,203,821 times
Breasts?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They must be hidden away from all young eyes. They are such vile, disgusting, nasty things. Unless men want to play or look at them, then it's ok.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Breasts?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They must be hidden away from all young eyes. They are such vile, disgusting, nasty things. Unless men want to play or look at them, then it's ok.
It has nothing to do with "breasts".

I'm curious, for all of you who think they way Katie Perry was dressed for the SS segment, if you were to drop your preschool or toddler to day care, preschool, preK, babysitter and the woman was dressed like that, would you find it strange??

I think it also stems from Katie Perry's reputation ---- " I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It" was what put her on the map ---- so that, combined with the dress? I don't think I'd want my child associated with that.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,203,821 times
If a woman was dressed like a figure skater? Well IS she a figure skater? LOL

I have no problem with "I Kissed a Girl". *shrug*

Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with "breasts".

I'm curious, for all of you who think they way Katie Perry was dressed for the SS segment, if you were to drop your preschool or toddler to day care, preschool, preK, babysitter and the woman was dressed like that, would you find it strange??

I think it also stems from Katie Perry's reputation ---- " I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It" was what put her on the map ---- so that, combined with the dress? I don't think I'd want my child associated with that.

Well somehow i doubt a 4 year old is going to either listen to or understand the concept of i kissed a girl. And beyond wondering what she was smoking to make her think that outfit looks good, no i wouldn't care. I doubt kids that age are going to think anything of it either.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Its no wonder why some people have a problem with breastfeeding in public.

No kidding with that one.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,588,542 times
Quote:
I found it very strange also. I wonder what the producer and director were thinking? She shouldn't have had on a strapless dress. It was inappropriate for the show. She should have worn something neutral like all the other guest stars do. Why couldn't she have worn a regular dress or pants/shirt?
Umm...because they were supposed to be playing "dress-up"?

Paganmama, you'll probably recognize my comments from the other thread, but for the others - if you equate SS with Disney, you'll see a whole lot worse from the Disney dumbos. Did parents ever complain about The Little Mermaid swimming around with breasts bared? How about all the princesses with their tight gowns?

A poster here mentioned bare legs...so would you suggest the entire cast of SS has to wear Puritan Pants? Guess the little kids hanging out with Elmo better not wear shorts...and I seem to recall one episode where they showed little girls playing in a fire hydrant's spray dressed in nothing but little bikinis - on a public street, yet!

I have two children that watched SS as toddlers and I never had a problem with the show, but then that was a different time when they weren't cramming Spanish down the kids' throats and the likes of Katy Perry were just gleams in someone's eyes.

Personally, I don't much care for her as an artist, but to say her outfit was inappropriate for little kids is, I believe, going a bit too far. SS is supposed to reflect the current times - they pride themselves on their modern methods of teaching - so if you have to blame someone, blame all of the parents who have both created and support the present permissive culture.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,813,114 times
I just saw the clip. I didn't think her outfit was that bad. I was expecting to see her vajayjay hanging out. When Elmo ran around her legs it wasn't even that tight on the bottom. It wasn't sheer in the back either. She was supposed to be playing dress up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting