Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:34 PM

208 posts, read 270,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
If we can live happy fun lives without ingesting alcohol that has absolutely NO nutritional value then they can too.
Is that your approach to everything without any nutritional value?

And, not exactly 'nutritional' but red wine isn't terrible for you in moderation...it is of note that Europeans have a lower risk of heart disease which is thought to be related to diet - there are of course several factors to the diet, but wine consumption is one of them.

And, of absolutely no relevance to the modern world but still a fun fact, in the middle ages it was safer to drink the beer than it was to drink the water, due of course to brewing processes vs water quality - but hey, humans are still around and have advanced since then so it can't have been all bad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post

And, not exactly 'nutritional' but red wine isn't terrible for you in moderation...it is of note that Europeans have a lower risk of heart disease which is thought to be related to diet - there are of course several factors to the diet, but wine consumption is one of them.

And, of absolutely no relevance to the modern world but still a fun fact, in the middle ages it was safer to drink the beer than it was to drink the water, due of course to brewing processes vs water quality - but hey, humans are still around and have advanced since then so it can't have been all bad....
Yeah, read this, I was a little shocked actually but I'll be relieved if it's true :

Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds - TIME

Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Because if you see my post you can see where I typed where they have seen how alcohol destroys families. My BIL is an alcoholic. My brother is a recovering alcoholic. My uncle is an alcoholic and drug addict. Enough proof that alcohol destroys families? Yes, I think so.
I asked you HOW they knew if they never saw you drink. I am not a mind reader. Why the sanctimonious attitude? You COULD just answer the question without the excess commentary.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I have another question, just out of interest really, I can see that we've pretty much covered the spectrum of approaches to alcohol,

So, would you say that your attitude to alcohol is similar to those of other parents in your community? Similar to those of the parents of your kid's friends?
The only first-hand experience I have is the neighbor across the street. In the summer their 19-year-old son often hosts beer gatherings in the garage at night (with the garage door open) which the kid's parents have full knowledge of. It's mostly other family members (lots of cousins) and a few mutual friends between them. At first it bothered me a little but after a while I noticed that they basically just sit there and drink beer and joke around with each other and don't bother anyone. So I stopped being bothered by it. It's possibly a cultural difference at play, the parents are from Mexico where the drinking age is 18 and sporadically enforced at best.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, read this, I was a little shocked actually but I'll be relieved if it's true :

Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds - TIME
I'm feeling good. I think I'll keep myself in the safest group.

The only part I see as questionable is to specify cheating on your spouse in a drunken haze as a "mishap".

Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I asked you HOW they knew if they never saw you drink. I am not a mind reader. Why the sanctimonious attitude? You COULD just answer the question without the excess commentary.
It's not excess commentary.I answered your question.
This is the last I'll contribute to this thread.
I was simply posting my personal ACTUAL experience with teenagers and alcohol.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,078 times
Quote:
I have another question, just out of interest really, I can see that we've pretty much covered the spectrum of approaches to alcohol,

So, would you say that your attitude to alcohol is similar to those of other parents in your community? Similar to those of the parents of your kid's friends?

Yes, all of my parents friends allowed there children to have alcohol and even my friends have similiar views as mine. Its quite the norm in my hometown for most teens. You dont go to a grad party with parents playing beer pong with their grads.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
It's not excess commentary.I answered your question.
This is the last I'll contribute to this thread.
I was simply posting my personal ACTUAL experience with teenagers and alcohol.
If you had answered without the nasty face palm or asking if it was ENOUGH proof for me that would have been sufficient. I didn't ask you to PROVE anything to me. I merely asked you a question. You are not very Christian for someone who supposedly is religious.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:

Yes, same with wine. If you read about the last Dauphin (son of Marie Antoinette), there is a note that while he was being held in captivity, the rule was that he was to be given no wine. He was ten years old or so, but since water wasn't a good idea in that time and place, what they were basically saying was "don't give him ANY beverages."

Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Yes, all of my parents friends allowed there children to have alcohol and even my friends have similiar views as mine. Its quite the norm in my hometown for most teens. You dont go to a grad party with parents playing beer pong with their grads.
Yes, that's similar to my area. I was wondering if those with firm anti teens with alcohol views were also areas with more conservative attitudes to alcohol all round....

I don't think that it's an ideal situation for 16/17 year olds to experiment by themselves with alcohol at all (although that thought didn't enter my head at 16/17). But I know that my children are basically guaranteed to come across alcohol in the community, therefore my stance to take a role in moderating that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting