U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 AM

5,741 posts, read 2,709,504 times
Just curious, but how do the parents who adhere to the letter of the law regarding the 21 year old drinking age handle it when their 18 year olds and over travel to countries where the law states you can drink when you're 18?

If they're off backbacking in other countries, it's quite likely (actually, it's a certainty) that there will be drinking amongst the peers that they meet at the hostel or just in their general travels. How do you prepare them for that reality, given that you won't even be on the same continent as they are?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM

68,624 posts, read 57,303,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Just curious, but how do the parents who adhere to the letter of the law regarding the 21 year old drinking age handle it when their 18 year olds and over travel to countries where the law states you can drink when you're 18?

If they're off backbacking in other countries, it's quite likely (actually, it's a certainty) that there will be drinking amongst the peers that they meet at the hostel or just in their general travels. How do you prepare them for that reality, given that you won't even be on the same continent as they are?
There are a lot of things kids do when their parents aren't around that the parents have no control over, even if the kids are two houses down at a party. I don't quite get the point of this question.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are a lot of things kids do when their parents aren't around that the parents have no control over, even if the kids are two houses down at a party. I don't quite get the point of this question.

The point is, if they are 2 houses down at a party, and they're 20, it's against the law to drink for them to drink at that party. So they are banned from doing it by the law, not just your rules (if they're out of the house I guess it doesn't matter what your rules are by then, anyway).

If you're using the fact that it's illegal as the main deterrent for them to not drink until they're 21, what do you do if they're going overseas where the drinking age is most likely 18? Do you prepare them for that in some way?

It kind of worries me that American kids who are suddenly let loose in a drinking climate that's much more liberal for 18 year olds might not know how to handle themselves given that they are suddenly free to drink regardless of their parents' wishes. I was just wondering if anybody's had to deal with that particular scenario, and how they dealt with it.

I would imagine it's a heady experience for a young adult who suddenly has that freedom.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
The point is, if they are 2 houses down at a party, and they're 20, it's against the law to drink for them to drink at that party. So they are banned from doing it by the law, not just your rules (if they're out of the house I guess it doesn't matter what your rules are by then, anyway).

If you're using the fact that it's illegal as the main deterrent for them to not drink until they're 21, what do you do if they're going overseas where the drinking age is most likely 18? Do you prepare them for that in some way?

It kind of worries me that American kids who are suddenly let loose in a drinking climate that's much more liberal for 18 year olds might not know how to handle themselves given that they are suddenly free to drink regardless of their parents' wishes. I was just wondering if anybody's had to deal with that particular scenario, and how they dealt with it.

I would imagine it's a heady experience for a young adult who suddenly has that freedom.
Oh, come on! Everyone has their first drink at some point in time, whether under or over the legal age. So they have their first drink in Europe, or Asia. So what? Is that any different from having their first drink at a frat house or at a house party? I truly don't understand what you're getting at. Obeying the law is a good idea, no?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

10,028 posts, read 10,794,382 times
Quote:

Why do parents even have to worry about that? If your child is 18 and goes to a country where it is legal to drink at age 18 then they can drink. The law of the United States no longer applies.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, come on! Everyone has their first drink at some point in time, whether under or over the legal age. So they have their first drink in Europe, or Asia. So what? Is that any different from having their first drink at a frat house or at a house party? I truly don't understand what you're getting at. Obeying the law is a good idea, no?

Oh come on what? I'm asking a simple question. How do you prepare your kids to be legally able to drink at 18 when their whole lives they've been taught that they can't drink until they're 21? And it's quite possible that a lot of parents in the US use that law as a way to try to prevent young Johnny from underage drinking. There's nothing wrong with that.

Why so hostile? I'm not having a dig at anybody or "getting at" anything.

And it is different from a frat house or frat party, because if the kid isn't 21 yet it's still illegal, and their parents may not be the only authority they have to answer to in that instance.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why do parents even have to worry about that? If your child is 18 and goes to a country where it is legal to drink at age 18 then they can drink. The law of the United States no longer applies.
I'm not asking if you have to worry about it, I'm asking if you do worry about it.

If you're not worried about it, and you think your teen can handle it, well then there's nothing to worry about, is there?

But if your (not you, Momma_bear, everybody your) main strategy regarding alcohol use for teens is that you can't drink until you're 21, so don't do it until then, then you may have a problem.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 PM

10,028 posts, read 10,794,382 times
Quote:
I'm not asking if you have to worry about it, I'm asking if you do worry about it.

If you're not worried about it, and you think your teen can handle it, well then there's nothing to worry about, is there?

But if your (not you, Momma_bear, everybody your) main strategy regarding alcohol use for teens is that you can't drink until you're 21, so don't do it until then, then you may have a problem.
I think it's very consistent with the "it's illegal" strategy. It's illegal here so don't do it here. If it's legal there, fine. There's nothing magic about being 21.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Oh come on what? I'm asking a simple question. How do you prepare your kids to be legally able to drink at 18 when their whole lives they've been taught that they can't drink until they're 21? And it's quite possible that a lot of parents in the US use that law as a way to try to prevent young Johnny from underage drinking. There's nothing wrong with that.

Why so hostile? I'm not having a dig at anybody or "getting at" anything.

And it is different from a frat house or frat party, because if the kid isn't 21 yet it's still illegal, and their parents may not be the only authority they have to answer to in that instance.
You are seeing hostility where none is intended. I don't know why the kids need any "preparation" at all for going to a country where the drinking age is 18 (or lower).

Frat parties and other house parties are generally ignored unless someone calls the police.

I just don't get your issue.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think it's very consistent with the "it's illegal" strategy. It's illegal here so don't do it here. If it's legal there, fine. There's nothing magic about being 21.
Yeah, I agree with you. I just think some kids may not be prepared for the freedom that they suddenly get when they're let loose in a county where 18 year olds are drinking freely, and without any restrictions.

Actually, having lived in 2 other countries where this is the case, I've seen it first hand.

So I was wondering if anybody would approach alcohol education with their kids differently, if this was to be a likely scenario for them. The reason why I'm asking is because we're going to encourage our kid to spend some time overseas as part of her college education, and I'm wondering if anybody else has taken this into account. If the answer to that is no, then that's fine.

Katiana, telling someone "Oh come on!" at the beginning of your post can be read as hostile, or at least as if my question was totally ridiculous in some way. Sorry to take it that way if that's not how you meant it.

And I don't have an "issue"; as I said, I'm curious, and I've seen American teens run rampant in bars overseas because suddenly they're allowed to drink, in the open, and nobody's going to stop them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting