U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,655,610 times

Advertisements

I know others often disagree with this, but we didn't try to make our son believe in Santa, the tooth fairy etc. We told him that Santa was just a fun story. He went to "see" Santa at the mall, heard stories & watched cartoons about Santa etc., but again, he knew it was just a "make-believe" story. So with the tooth fairy, Easter bunny etc., it was kind of a non-issue. Just never came up. Although he did receive money for tooth left under pillow, he knew I left it. Ditto for Easter bunny. He got an Easter basket with goodies but he knew the big bunny was not the one who left it.

We just wanted him to to know that he could always come to us for the truth, as least as far as we knew it to be. I know some people think the Santa story is harmless fantasy, but that was our decision on the issue. I think he still had a fun childhood enjoying the story/fantasy aspect of these characters without the disappointment of later learning they didn't exist or realizing we didn't tell him the "real scoop."

Last edited by kaykay; 10-01-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 AM

21,917 posts, read 12,690,128 times
When my sons quizzed me like that, I turned it into, "Oh my goodness! Aren't you SMART? You figured it out!!"

Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,777,375 times
My younger one figured out the Tooth Fairy because one year I dropped the darn tooth and was hunting for it on the floor.... she didn't wake up but she did find the tooth and decided if they didn't have to have the tooth then they must not exist.

Eventually both of mine (17 and 13) questioned me about Santa Clause. I told them that since I enjoy Santa and Christmas and gift giving and pretend that it is ok if they don't believe in Santa. BUT if they don't write a letter and at least act like they do, Santa won't bring them ANYTHING...so they better make a good show of it. Yes we know the Mall Santa isn't real and we know that people dress up like Santa alot, but this is at home. So even at 17 and 13 they put on a pretense FOR ME that they believe. hahahahahaha Even that is fun with them.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,986,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
My 7 1/2 year old lost another tooth last night. He put it in a ziploc bag so he could put in under his pillow for the tooth fairy. Then he said "Mommy is the tooth fairy real?" and I said "Yes" and he said "Are you sure you don't just go into your purse, get some money,take my tooth and put the money under my pillow?"
I still insisted the tooth fairy is real and so did my husband. I don't feel right about it. Should I just tell him its not true next time if he brings it up or should I continue this charade? I feel bad lying to him. Maybe he's too old for the tooth fairy as he seems to be getting suspicious of her?
How did you break the news to your kids that the tooth fairy was in fact a fairy tale?
How about Santa? He still believes in Santa at least.
I wouldn't have lied to him in the first place. My kids and I played 'tooth fairy' but they knew it was just a story, and that it was mom or dad trying to sneak in and take the tooth. On the few occasions when my husband or I both forgot to take the tooth, my kids would cackle in glee and make a big deal about having 'outsmarted the tooth fairy', and then declare it time for a rematch.

I didn't lie to them about Santa, either.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,986,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
My younger one figured out the Tooth Fairy because one year I dropped the darn tooth and was hunting for it on the floor.... she didn't wake up but she did find the tooth and decided if they didn't have to have the tooth then they must not exist.

Eventually both of mine (17 and 13) questioned me about Santa Clause. I told them that since I enjoy Santa and Christmas and gift giving and pretend that it is ok if they don't believe in Santa. BUT if they don't write a letter and at least act like they do, Santa won't bring them ANYTHING...so they better make a good show of it. Yes we know the Mall Santa isn't real and we know that people dress up like Santa alot, but this is at home. So even at 17 and 13 they put on a pretense FOR ME that they believe. hahahahahaha Even that is fun with them.
Wait...are you saying they didn't question Santa Claus until they were SEVENTEEN and THIRTEEN?? Holy crap.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,203,759 times
Its not like I lied to him for with malicious intent. I just wanted to keep the innocence of childhood going for as long as possible.
After reading your responses I think what I did was wrong. Next time he loses a tooth and he questions the existence of the tooth fairy I'm just going to tell him she doesn't exist.
Thanks so much for the replies. At least I don't have to break the news about the Easter Bunny he thiniks the Easter Bunny is "a joke".

Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM

486 posts, read 951,961 times
My three year old knows the tooth fairy is pretend and she hasn't even lost any teeth yet.
I hadn't introduced the tooth fairy to her so she must have picked it up from someone else. She actually asked me if when she gets older and loses a tooth if I will be the tooth fairy and take her tooth and give her money... :-)

Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

3,376 posts, read 5,770,385 times
My dh didn't find out about Santa and the other stuff until he was 8 and he went to live with his stepmom and dad. They told him then that his mother had lied to him and they never existed. His younger siblings never believed.

When pregnant with my first, I let everyone know that my children WOULD believe and that anyone who destroyed it for them when they were little wouldn't be sharing the holidays with us. At first, they all resented it, but played along. But when my dh's nephew was 4 and asked his grandma why Santa brought gifts for his cousins, older half-brothers and the other children at daycare - they told him again, that Santa didn't exist. But everyone else believed that only GOOD children got gifts... and man, that kid is NEUROTIC at the age of 9. His younger brothers & sister have told us that they will allow any of their future children to believe.

Children want and deserve a little magic in their lives, IMO. I know there are those that do not allow their children to believe, just as there are parents who sit beside their children at a magic show and explain each magic trick to their children.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,203,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Children want and deserve a little magic in their lives, IMO. I know there are those that do not allow their children to believe, just as there are parents who sit beside their children at a magic show and explain each magic trick to their children.

Thanks for putting it so well. I agree.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM

13,596 posts, read 17,120,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I agree as well. The 'magic' lasts far too short a time before they get smacked into cold hard reality. A little belief in an innocent tradition can't do any harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting