Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

To add: Your mother is offering you a priceless gift - an education. TAKE IT and honor your mother by performing well in your studies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
hello everyone,

I need some advice as I am not sure what to do.

My mom told me flat out that if I don't pass my classes she won't pay for them anymore and there goes my degree.

My mom also told me that if I go down to AZ when my cousin is visiting his brother that I shouldn't bother coming back home.

I am currently a few weeks behind in my classes due to personal issues at the house and coming back from a week vacation as well.

If I don't pass my classes then I won't get my degree but I don't know what else to do? If I drop the classes then I'm one semester behind and $2,000 needed to take the classes again.

What should I do?
You should pass your classes.

If you don't pass your classes you won't get a degree no matter who pays for what.

ETA a weeks vacation in the middle of the semester? WTF?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM

235 posts, read 465,392 times
The week vacation was planned so I could spend time with my family down there and celebrate 2 birthdays as well as getting to know the other side of the family. Yeah poor planning on my part but I did manage to work on my homework while I was on vacation as well.

My cousin isn't planning on going until sometime next year but by then I'll have my degree.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
It's early enough in the term to repair failing grades. You can pass these courses if you apply yourself.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
The week vacation was planned so I could spend time with my family down there and celebrate 2 birthdays as well as getting to know the other side of the family. Yeah poor planning on my part but I did manage to work on my homework while I was on vacation as well.

My cousin isn't planning on going until sometime next year but by then I'll have my degree.
Take it from someone who went to college at age 20, supporting two children under the age of 2 by myself without government assistance. I held down a full-time job, raised my babies, had no family around me for support, and went to school full time with nobody but me paying for any of it.

You have it easy, punk.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
I totally agree with the other posters here. Where is the question? What should you DO? Do your homework and pass your classes. Don't take the vacation! Your mother is your BOSS at this point in the game. Your SALARY is your tuition! Your JOB is to do your homework and study! If you don't do your JOB......clearly, your mother is going to stop paying you to go to school! In a nutshell, she is going to fire you for not doing your job. How hard is that to figure out? Believe me, a few years from now, you're going to look back at yourself and think, OMG...how could I have been so clueless! My mother was spending her own money to pay for my education, so that I had more options! How could I have been so ungrateful!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:

You won't get a degree if you are failing your classes.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Give it all up, go do whatever you want. Move out, tell your Mom you can support yourself, and get a job, and live on your salary. Give back anything that you can not afford yourself, including your car, no more vacations, unless you pay for them. Enjoy this lifestyle for awhile, and then, go back home, and beg for a chance to go back to school.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 AM

306 posts, read 451,681 times
My understanding is that you wish to be a role model for one of your cousins (?) In this case you should rather take care of your grades. To get a degree should be the first thing on your list of priorities. It is imperative to get it done, especially if you want to get a job and be useful to others too. Suppose you are in an airplane and something happens. What is the advice for all those that are caregivers? To put the oxygen mask on their mouth first, if they want to also be able to help the others that are depending on them. You are in a similar situation and although you deem it necessary to be physically there for those birthdays, it is not as important as you think. Instead you could call or write a meaningful message, explaining why it is vital to concentrate on school now and that you are doing this not just for you, but also for them. The sooner you finish your school, the sooner you can move closer to them. IMO, to be able to focus on the right thing at the right time, and making sacrifices in the process (i.e postponing spending time with your family in AZ) would be a great lesson for you cousin. The easiest way for young people to learn: by example. The best way for an adult to teach them: by example.

Last edited by mia12; 10-02-2010 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Take it from someone who went to college at age 20, supporting two children under the age of 2 by myself without government assistance. I held down a full-time job, raised my babies, had no family around me for support, and went to school full time with nobody but me paying for any of it.

You have it easy, punk.

Ouch...rude no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting