Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,229,376 times

Advertisements

It is interesting to consider whether there is more or less abuse.

Firstly, there is more media attention that ever on child abuse and because the media is global we get fed these stories more and more. So from this we think there is more.

Then the next thing is "what is considered abuse"?. These days pretty much everything is considered abuse. Especially once the media put their spin on it. A strict parent who spanks is abusive. An embattled parent who does nothing is neglectful. A fearful parent who over protects is abusive. A pushy parent who pushes their kid hard in sport, school, music, dance whatever is abusive or they are abusive or the hero depending on the TV station.

In my view the real abusive parents are far and few between. Those that punch, rape or prostitute their kids.

The next thing is the disproportionate attention given to stranger abduction. Sure it happens and it rightfully gets media attention (as media attention can help to find the kid I assume) but by far the most likely place for a kid to abused is in their own home or the home of a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,899,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
They have the highest number of cases and the caseworkers are doing their jobs the best they can with pitiful pay and hours. The problem is with the Attorneys and Judges and to some extent foster homes because they are equally burdened. If you don't have a place for a child and their situation isn't deemed critical, they will not be taken away immediately in a lot of case. In order to keep these children away from these situations, they have to terminate parental rights which is basically the death penalty. It isn't about one court hearing but a lot of them because this is a serious thing. Perhaps instead of questioning this and expecting an easy answer, why not get involved? Not all questions have easy answers. Unless you have been a caseworker and dealt with all the Attorneys, Families, etc. you can't criticize anyone. There are many failures in the United States. The caseworkers I work with in CASA easily have 50-100 cases at a time which is why my opinion matters so much to some of the judges. But, ultimately it is their call on what happens. I don't know about Florida's laws but there is a real low standard to what constitutes providing a child with a suitable living arrangement. In Texas, it is pretty much food and shelter - doesn't matter if food is a twinkie or balanced meal or if the shelter is close to being condemned.
None of this explains why Florida has more problems than most states even when Florida has more caseworkers. Many other states don't have the problems Florida has regarding child abuse, child deaths, and child abductions. The answers apparently are easier for many other states so saying there ar eno easy answers is a cop out.

You say Florida has the highest level of caseworkers. You say that caseworkers you work wtih handle 50-100 cases at a time. SOMETHING about Florida's culture, society, etc., is causing Florida to have a higher case load than most other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
You aren't going to get a suitable answer for why things happen and statistics are what they are and blame is all over the place. Sorry!! Everyone thinks that they can make things better or do a better job of fighting this (like you) but until you are in the middle of it all, you have absolutely no idea.
That's a really sad statement. If I were in the middle of it, I'd want to figure out exactly why my state has such a terrible record compared to most other states.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:31 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,086,727 times
I know from experience not all social workers are doing their jobs.
I know alot who lied in courts and accused parents of child abuse.
The real child abusers need to punished.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,824,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
None of this explains why Florida has more problems than most states even when Florida has more caseworkers. Many other states don't have the problems Florida has regarding child abuse, child deaths, and child abductions. The answers apparently are easier for many other states so saying there ar eno easy answers is a cop out.
I always thought it had to do with a combination of the warm weather and low cost of living. I know I know this might sound far out but the most competitive cities are usually in cold weather. People don't move to NYC for the fantastic climate. You hear alot of "dreamers" moving to LA and Miami and all the warm cities because "they want sun year round and live by the beach". And obviously people (not all) that move somewhere ONLY for the weather must not have a secure life that is keeping them in one place, meaning they maybe work a not so great job, probably had kids before they realized the responsibility. Or maybe game form that type of home.

Just a thought.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,933,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

You say Florida has the highest level of caseworkers. You say that caseworkers you work wtih handle 50-100 cases at a time. SOMETHING about Florida's culture, society, etc., is causing Florida to have a higher case load than most other states.

That's a really sad statement. If I were in the middle of it, I'd want to figure out exactly why my state has such a terrible record compared to most other states.
Get involved in a local CASA or GAL program. Just go to an information session and they will give you their take on things. There is no easy answer. Just like others have posted, many states have many more cases but the severity is not there. I deal with a lot of families in poverty but I also deal with families that aren't doing too badly for themselves. There is some truth to children having more leverage these days. When I was growing up, my parents could spank me and they didn't have to worry about my siblings and I being taken away from them. Now, that actually can happen and has. I had one case that the child was placed into foster care because they convinced teachers and other adults that they were being abused and starved. In the end, that didn't happen and the child admitted it. They were mad because they didn't get something that they wanted and it turned into a full blown CPS case. I was shocked to have had that assigned to me because most of the cases I have dealt with are pretty legitimate and severe.

I suggest if you are asking questions to see out your own answers. It is not enough to type on a message board and expect answers...do your own research because it doesn't matter what anyone tells you on this forum. You have to see things for yourself and get the backgrounds, etc. These cases are complex and there is a reason why turnover between social workers and the Attorneys in thse cases is so high. Not many can separate themselves from all these cases. One of my good friends decided to become a social worker after being a CASA for five years. She already had her graduate degree and all the credentials and lasted for six months. You learn a lot as a CASA, but the social workers and Attorneys are the ones that have a lot on their plates. That's for sure. Yes, there are bad social workers - as there are bad people in every job that don't give their all.

Do your own research by going to those information sessions and I am sure you will get a better idea of the answers. But, you still won't get definitive answers...but hopefully you are able to become a CASA and make a difference so that more children don't fall through the cracks.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,458,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
What's with all the child abuse cases I've been hearing/reading about in the news lately?
I don't remember hearing/reading about so many child abuses in the news as I have now.
I've read somewhere that it's because more people are speaking out and contacting the Child Protective Services.

I also read where drug use and the economy both play/played a roll in the disturbing numbers.Also that some are taking their frustrations out on their kids.Just because someone is unemployed is no reason/excuse to abuse your children.To me there should be other ways in which to take their frustrations out on .I wonder how some people feel that it's their childs fault because of a lose of a job etc.

This is some of the things a real parent is.

P- protect
A-adore
R-redirect
E-encourage
N-nuture
T-teach
S-stability
Unfortunately, there are many who are incapable of this --to greater and lesser degrees.

This article makes some interesting points>>>
Tearing Children "In Half" Michael Conner, Psy.D, Parenting, Bend Oregon

Old 10-09-2010, 03:15 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,685,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
It is interesting to consider whether there is more or less abuse.

Firstly, there is more media attention that ever on child abuse and because the media is global we get fed these stories more and more. So from this we think there is more.

Then the next thing is "what is considered abuse"?. These days pretty much everything is considered abuse. Especially once the media put their spin on it. A strict parent who spanks is abusive. An embattled parent who does nothing is neglectful. A fearful parent who over protects is abusive. A pushy parent who pushes their kid hard in sport, school, music, dance whatever is abusive or they are abusive or the hero depending on the TV station.

In my view the real abusive parents are far and few between. Those that punch, rape or prostitute their kids.

The next thing is the disproportionate attention given to stranger abduction. Sure it happens and it rightfully gets media attention (as media attention can help to find the kid I assume) but by far the most likely place for a kid to abused is in their own home or the home of a friend.

Well said!!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:10 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,710,509 times
I agree with aidxen. There isn't more child abuse, it's just publicized more and more things are considered child abuse than they ever were. I have personal knowledge of several cases where children were crazy rebellious, screamed abuse when there was non, & CPS was called in. The sad part of it is this...... we now live in a society where caseworkers are tied up, each and every day, with frivolous cases, entitled brats who are causing their parents trouble. Meanwhile, children who TRULY need the representation/saving are forced to live in horrid situations because there are not enough caseworkers to go around.

Again though.....there is no increase in child abuse. The only difference is the laws and attitudes of society. 50 years ago, hauling your kid out to the woodshed for a lickin with a piece of kindling or a strapping with a belt, was common practice for stealing or blatantly disobeying your parent. Now, that same parent would be hauled into court and charged with assault!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,259,342 times
I think that supporting pro-choice candidates and fathers' rights candidates would go a LONG way in lessening the instances of child abuse in this country.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,864,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think that supporting pro-choice candidates and fathers' rights candidates would go a LONG way in lessening the instances of child abuse in this country.
While I can see how pro-choice candidates *might* lessen child abuse because fewer unwanted children would be born, I don't think father's rights candidates would help much. Most of the father's rights organizations I know about view children as father's property though they don't come out and say as much.

Children have always been abused and there was little that anyone would do about it in days not so long ago.

How many people even realize that the very first child abuse case had to be brought with the aid of the ASPCA because animals were protected, but children were not.

The Story of Mary Ellen (http://www.americanhumane.org/about-us/who-we-are/history/etta-wheeler-account.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting