Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times

Advertisements

I think this country is experiencing a parenting crisis but I was watching a show on A&E the other day and I was shocked. Some of the young Black kids at the age 14 are already involved in murders and robberies, being prosecuted as adults. What in the hell has gone wrong here? When I was 14, I used to dream about going to college and being and productive member of society? Can anybody describe the type of environment these kids are being raised in? It is very sad and I think these kids could be our future leaders if they only had the proper guidance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
They're are white kids doing the same thing, but Daddy is a member of the correct country clubs and they don't get tried as adults.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They're are white kids doing the same thing, but Daddy is a member of the correct country clubs and they don't get tried as adults.

oh please, white kids, hispanic kids, asian kids and any other ethnicity are doing these same things and getting in trouble too

Don't know if you are aware of this but suprise not all white family's are wealthy, not all belong to the country clubs

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I think this country is experiencing a parenting crisis but I was watching a show on A&E the other day and I was shocked. Some of the young Black kids at the age 14 are already involved in murders and robberies, being prosecuted as adults. What in the hell has gone wrong here? When I was 14, I used to dream about going to college and being and productive member of society? Can anybody describe the type of environment these kids are being raised in? It is very sad and I think these kids could be our future leaders if they only had the proper guidance

America is experiencing a parenting crisis, in a time when our economy is in the dumps, more and more families are having to have both parents working, leaving kids to entertain themselves. There also seems to be a growing faction that think not setting limits on our kids is a good thing, allow them to express themselves.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
Juvenile crime is related more to socioeconomic status, not the color of one's skin.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Juvenile crime is related more to socioeconomic status, not the color of one's skin.
True. However, the problem still strikes black families disproportionately. In the United States, something like 70% of black children are born outside of a stable relationship while only 25% of whites and far fewer among asians.

Now one can argue that a two-parent household does not guarantee a healthier, happier, and more socially adjusted child. However, the odds are far higher. What's more, unless you are a Hollywood starlet or some such nonsense, having a child outside of a stable relationship means that it becomes much more difficult to succeed economically, to achieve in school, or generally understand how an adult should function.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True. However, the problem still strikes black families disproportionately. In the United States, something like 70% of black children are born outside of a stable relationship while only 25% of whites and far fewer among asians.

Now one can argue that a two-parent household does not guarantee a healthier, happier, and more socially adjusted child. However, the odds are far higher. What's more, unless you are a Hollywood starlet or some such nonsense, having a child outside of a stable relationship means that it becomes much more difficult to succeed economically, to achieve in school, or generally understand how an adult should function.
It does strike blacks disproportionately, but it's a problem related to poverty, not skin color.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It does strike blacks disproportionately, but it's a problem related to poverty, not skin color.
this makes alot of sense

Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Umm, not sure I agree with this part of your post. I grew up in a single parent household after my mother divorced my father when I was about 18 months old. She did not remarry until I was 23.

While we weren't wealthy, by any means, I did not have difficulties achieving in school or understanding how an "adult should function"(??). I'm not sure how being raised by a single parent made me less "healthy" or less "happy" or less "socially adjusted". And this was in the 60's, when single parent families were less common than they are today. So while I may have been an oddity amongst my peers, briefly, ultimately nobody really cared, and I wasn't any of those things you mentioned.

Now if you are living in crushing poverty directly as a result of being a single parent, that's a different issue, and perhaps being blindingly poor is what causes some of the problems you mentioned, not the single parent aspect.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
If any of us had the answer we would be rich. It's really more complicated than it appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting