Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,767 times

Advertisements

can anyone recommend a magazine for a kindergartener? it is for my godchild- thought I'd get her a subscription for her birthday- something educational but fun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 12:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
What does she enjoy. There are lots of good magazines for children this age. Ladybug Magazine is for kids from 3 to 6. You can see online samples here: Award-Winning Magazines, Games, Gifts and Books for Children of all ages - Shop Cricket Today!

High Five is for kids from 2 to 6, but the companion magazine Highlights is for 6 to 12 year olds.
High Five Magazine for children 2 to 6

My granddaughter is a lover of animals, so she gets the National Geographic magazine for kids.
Kids' Games, Animals, Photos, Stories, and More -- National Geographic Kids

Ranger Rick is a good one too. Ranger Rick - National Wildlife Federation
The magazine for younger kids is Your Big Backyard Your Big Backyard - National Wildlife Federation
We've also had Zoobooks at one time or another Zoobooks Subscription [Magazine-Agent.com]

There are many to choose from. Look for her favorites. Sesame Street has a magazine too, but I see that is only in electronic form now. Humpty Dumpty encourages early readers.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times
My daughter loved Highlights for Children Magazine.

Highlights for Children delivers puzzles, science projects, jokes and riddles that challenge young minds, while characters in regular features like Hidden Pictures, The Timbertoes, Goofus and Gallant and the Bear Family keep children coming back like good friends should.

Highlights for Children Home

Another she loved was Your Big Backyard.

Filled with fun activities, simple stories and wild animals that little ones love, Your Big Backyard draws preschoolers closer to nature and gets them ready to read. Youngsters will enjoy the seasonal crafts, simple cooking recipes, fun games and other great features month after month.

Your Big Backyard - National Wildlife Federation

Old 10-03-2010, 01:51 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
I remember highlights! So fun! Zoobooks where great too. We also had a subscription to a children's encyclopedia thing when we where growing up which was fun because a new book came every so often and they all had themes. I am not sure if they are around anymore.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
I too had Highlights as a child and it had fun/cool stuff in it.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
I remember that when *I* was a kid, I liked Highlights and Ranger Rick a lot.

My 4yo currently gets High Five and she likes it just okay. I'm thinking of getting her Zootles, which is the younger version of Zoobooks. I considered Nat Geo Kids, but I heard it is just full of ads now.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,956 times
What does she enjoy? Nature? Games? paper dolls? puzzles? There is a kids magazine for just about anything now-a-days. You may want to talk to her momma, Ranger Rick is a staple in classrooms here, you do not want to duplicate what she already gets.

Just about any 'kiddie' magazine will have an educational slant to it. If you go with characters she already knows (Disney, Barbie, Sesame Street, Nick Jr, etc) she will already have a connection to the material.

Also, there are scholastic flyers that come home all the time from schools... they have some subscription kits in there.

I think this is a great gift idea!!! what kid doesn't love getting mail. I am also one to believe there are no bad books.... if it gets a kid's interest and they read it, that is a good book! (or magazine, as the case may be)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting