Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,990,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I remember as a kid looking through the sears toy catalog and picking out toys.... my kids like to do that too.... only these days they pring pages off the internet.
Hehe! I also remember looking at the Sears catalog to make up my wish list as a kid!

For Mom, I might get her a better digital camera or get my 2 older sisters and my dad to help pitch in to get Mom that flat HD screen TV she's wanted for a while.

Dad is hard to shop for, since he's a mini-hoarder.

I might get my sisters gift cards to the mall or something.

I just want a gift card or money. No clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,916,948 times
I think she meant a PLAY diaper bag and things to go in it - for the baby doll.

My son presented me with a wish list in July - just after returning from his grandparent's home - he 'discovered' SkyMall on the plane.

My daughter's been wishy washy, and no list so far. I started shopping though in the summer. This year, to avoid the empty stocking that I usually get, I'm also buying stuff for myself. It's in a box for my dh to wrap.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 AM

356 posts, read 913,808 times
Decided to finally buy DD (7) a Nintendo DS and DS (almost 4) a Leapster for Christmas this year. Not sure what else and we need to see what they ask for.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,913,940 times
I am going to get my 7 year old a cheapish netbook so I can regain control of my computer. I will get in-laws tickets to a show. Everyone else I have no clue about yet.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM

821 posts, read 2,033,438 times
getting my daughter an Ipod touch (its coming out to pretty much the same price as the Ipod nano) and getting my son a leapster hand held game. Those are thier big gift I will get them other little things they may want but everything else will be inexpensive as possible such as I know my daughter wants board games and she loves craft projects and my son is into cars and action figures.
My husband I dont have a clue what to get him.
and I'm really not sure what I want this year either.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM

556 posts, read 796,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
A diaper bag with supplies for your 2 yr old? That sounds more like something you need.

Wish lists were so much easier when my daughter was little. As a teen, everything is more expensive. I know I'm getting her guitar lessons. I never bought clothes for her when she was little, except for new pj's on Christmas Eve. Now that she's older and has a taste for certain brands, she loves getting clothes. She may get a lap top this year. I haven't really done alot of shopping yet.

I think it's a toy diaper bag and supplies to go with a baby doll.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 AM

556 posts, read 796,529 times
My kids are still young and "want" everything they see on every commercial. I pretty much have an idea of what they'll want and like and most of it is usually bought before they write their actual letter to Santa.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,543,561 times
We're getting a late start for us as well. Usually my wife would be just about done by now.

We build "wish lists" for the kids throughout the year on Toys R Us. We keep the list updated and relevant so that is usually where we start. My son (almost 6) is easy this year as we are taking the plunge and buying him a Wii (Star Wars Legos are also very high on his list). The girls (1 and 2) are a little harder as there really isn't anything they "want" per se, more like things they need or we think they would like.

My wife and I have decided on two big items that we are going to buy, so that's cutting into the budget. I'm going to build a new computer for my wife and I (OK, more for me) and set the old one up in the play room for the kids to use. We are also going to replace the TV in the living room with a more efficient model. We currently have a higher end plasma, that is about 4 years old and starting to show some wear. We're going to put that in our room and get a more efficient LCD for the living room since that TV is used a lot.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 AM

821 posts, read 2,033,438 times
My daughter writes a letter to santa (my son is still too young) and I pick one thing off of that list wrap it in special wrapping with ribbons and bows and place it near the cookies and milk (away from our gifts) and thats just from santa everything else is from Mom and Dad...

Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,543,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
My daughter writes a letter to santa (my son is still too young) and I pick one thing off of that list wrap it in special wrapping with ribbons and bows and place it near the cookies and milk (away from our gifts) and thats just from santa everything else is from Mom and Dad...
That's cute. We usually make it that all the toys and fun stuff are from Santa. Clothes, socks and underwear are from mom and dad. We usually make a big deal out of it too, like how special the packages are from us and how much we hope they like them. The look on my son's face is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting