U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM

556 posts, read 423,376 times

Advertisements

Anything that is from us or other relatives get opened on Christmas Eve. Everything from Santa is on Christmas morning.

Oh, and apparently my younger is getting the Fisher Price ixl. he just saw the commercial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 AM

556 posts, read 423,376 times
Oh and the Santa presents always come in Santa paper, a different paper for each kid.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 19 days ago)

13,671 posts, read 17,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Oh and the Santa presents always come in Santa paper, a different paper for each kid.
We don't wrap the Santa presents. Let me just say dad...er Santa spends a lot of time "staging" the area around the tree only to watch it dissolve into a complete mess within minutes. The year the Transformers were fighting a war in our living room was pretty cool. The look on my sons face was priceless, thankfully we stopped the destruction long enough to take pictures.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 AM

17,116 posts, read 12,429,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
We don't wrap the Santa presents. Let me just say dad...er Santa spends a lot of time "staging" the area around the tree only to watch it dissolve into a complete mess within minutes..
That is how we always do it also (still do even though my kids are older)...Santa gifts (including stocking stuffers) are not wrapped, just set up/staged.....

Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,470,467 times
For my girls so far I've gotten:
pillow pets
pj's
don't really know what else and neither do they, lol.

I think I might get my son a netbook, but not sure.

hubby wants some Lost thing. dunno.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:22 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,555,677 times
Oldest DD (16) - a laptop (one of the little ones - a notebook, I think they're called).

DS (14) - a season pass to the local ski area. He gets the free bus every weekend and snowboards his heart out all day. He has also found a used snowboard that he would like me to look at.

Youngest DD (10) - she really wants a cell. phone this year. I am on the fence about this one because I feel she's a bit young for it. On the other hand... this would be a super cheap gift for us to get because the phone would be free and we would only have to take on the $10 monthly fee for it (no large out-of-pocket expense at one time).

The older two understand that they are only getting one gift this year from Mom and Dad because what they've chosen are large / expensive items. I will be sure to get a couple other things from Santa for them - the youngest still believes (or pretends she does).

I really miss the days when I could get more gifts for less and unwrapping was more exciting...lol.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,849,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
We don't wrap the Santa presents. Let me just say dad...er Santa spends a lot of time "staging" the area around the tree only to watch it dissolve into a complete mess within minutes. The year the Transformers were fighting a war in our living room was pretty cool. The look on my sons face was priceless, thankfully we stopped the destruction long enough to take pictures.
I didn't start out wrapping Santa gifts, but my kids mentioned that they wished Santa did, about the ages of 5 & 7. So, I told them that I would wrap the Santa gifts after he came.

This makes it so much easier!

1) I don't have to buy special wrapping paper or worry that they will see it before Christmas and
2) If they hear us up and about on Christmas Eve, they're not suspicious - we just have to keep a door closed while we wrap.

We also open everything from us and everyone else on Christmas Eve.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 8,951,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
LOl, that's more than 3.

So far I know I want to get the 3 year old the Alphie Robot and I'm trying to talk my husband into us getting the 5 year old a DS. Besides that I don't know. Usually I'm almost done shopping by now
NO! They have ALPHIE back out?! OMG. I loved this toy as a preschooler! That is definitely going on the list for our younger child. Awesome!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I thought the kids made the Christmas lists?

That's how I do it. The kids make wish lists. I look at the lists. I figure out what I can/want to accomplish on the lists. Simple!

It's still a surprise. They know they can't get everything. That's why they are called WISH lists.

Plus, hubby and I add one gift each (meaning two separate gifts from each of us) that wasn't on their list and comes from our hearts.
My older son makes his wish list, but he certainly doesn't get even half of what he writes down. We look at the list and decide which one would be the best for him, then we supplement with 4 other gifts that we think he'll need/like.

Younger son would yell like a monkey if I asked him what he wanted. LOL

Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Oldest DD (16) - a laptop (one of the little ones - a notebook, I think they're called).

DS (14) - a season pass to the local ski area. He gets the free bus every weekend and snowboards his heart out all day. He has also found a used snowboard that he would like me to look at.

Youngest DD (10) - she really wants a cell. phone this year. I am on the fence about this one because I feel she's a bit young for it. On the other hand... this would be a super cheap gift for us to get because the phone would be free and we would only have to take on the $10 monthly fee for it (no large out-of-pocket expense at one time).

The older two understand that they are only getting one gift this year from Mom and Dad because what they've chosen are large / expensive items. I will be sure to get a couple other things from Santa for them - the youngest still believes (or pretends she does).

I really miss the days when I could get more gifts for less and unwrapping was more exciting...lol.
That is how our parents did it when we were teens. We got to choose one big gift and then my mom would buy us something small, like an outfit or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting