Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM

831 posts, read 1,575,737 times

Advertisements

The Christmas Safety thread got me thing about how soon Christmas will be here. So do you have your game plan together yet? I am starting to plan this month so I can have all of my shopping done before Thanksgiving. I may miss a couple of good deals but I will also miss the masses.

So far I am thinking of trying the 3 gifts thing. The kids get stuff all year and I don't want to buy stuff just so under the tree looks full.

For the 2 1/2 yr olds list I am thinking of
1. bike with the helmet
2. duplos and craft supplies
3. baby doll and diaper bag with supplies

For the 12 yr old I am thinking
1. a coat, boots and jeans
2. bed in a bag set ( and paint her room over the break)
3. prepaid cel phone

For the hubby
1. some kind of remote control helicopter that he keeps talking about
2. jeans and a sweat shirt
3. ??????????????

For me
1. a pair or Nike tennis shoes
2. bed in a bag set and paint our bedroom
3. charm bracelet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:01 PM

556 posts, read 795,708 times
LOl, that's more than 3.

So far I know I want to get the 3 year old the Alphie Robot and I'm trying to talk my husband into us getting the 5 year old a DS. Besides that I don't know. Usually I'm almost done shopping by now

Old 10-03-2010, 03:12 PM

16,893 posts, read 16,161,193 times
I started my Christmas shopping yesterday but I haven't made any lists yet. I need to do that...

But the Halloween costumes are taken care of, so I'm glad to have that done at least!

Old 10-03-2010, 03:17 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,189,835 times
Oh my, I haven't even thought about it yet! Better start working on them!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,943,046 times
I want clothes for Christmas.
Clothes and money.
I NEED clothes.
Everything I have is from when I was like 17/18 and I look retarded.
Minus 2-3 pairs of jeans and a handful of shirts everything else needs to be sold and I need new stuff.

So hopefully clothes and money to put in my savings account.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,056,361 times
Clothes for everyone. Maybe 1 "toy" that they get to pick out after they get clothes IF they have money left in their $100 each.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
I thought the kids made the Christmas lists?

That's how I do it. The kids make wish lists. I look at the lists. I figure out what I can/want to accomplish on the lists. Simple!

It's still a surprise. They know they can't get everything. That's why they are called WISH lists.

Plus, hubby and I add one gift each (meaning two separate gifts from each of us) that wasn't on their list and comes from our hearts.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

That's how I do it. The kids make wish lists. I look at the lists. I figure out what I can/want to accomplish on the lists. Simple!

It's still a surprise. They know they can't get everything. That's why they are called WISH lists.

Plus, hubby and I add one gift each (meaning two separate gifts from each of us) that wasn't on their list and comes from our hearts.

That's how we did it with our kids!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,210,421 times
A diaper bag with supplies for your 2 yr old? That sounds more like something you need.

Wish lists were so much easier when my daughter was little. As a teen, everything is more expensive. I know I'm getting her guitar lessons. I never bought clothes for her when she was little, except for new pj's on Christmas Eve. Now that she's older and has a taste for certain brands, she loves getting clothes. She may get a lap top this year. I haven't really done alot of shopping yet.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,264,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

We do a version of this. We look at what likes/activities the kids are into as well. We try not to give them only what they 'want' because we want them to try new things and not get stuck in electonic games.

We also like doing experience gifts. Like visits to museums and music shows.

I remember as a kid looking through the sears toy catalog and picking out toys.... my kids like to do that too.... only these days they pring pages off the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting